• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Pauly - I haven't really changed a tiger never loses his stripes.

I am being nice to the referees because I live by the adage if you don't have something nice to say say nothing.

I did notice that Simon Moore has not been assigned a club or school game this weekend!!!

T

Tigers Tale

Trivia results.

Goal Post - I thought it was Hugh Courtney Oval;

Referee - was indeed Kerry Fitz (RIP) - West def Uni 6-4;

In goal - thought this would test you - but I believe it was at St Lucia back in the early-mid 1980s when they were about 20 metres. (Obviously pre the 400 metre track.)

Happy to stand corrected on the in-goal and goal posts if this isn't correct.

When did the track get put in at St Lucia? There doesn't seem to be any issue with the in-goal at St Lucia these days despite the track - is the track not regulation shape because I recall at Homebush the in-goal use to eat into the track? Maybe the straights at St Lucia are longer and the curves shorter.

Red Heavy is probably out on the track a few times a week and might be able to let us know.

Another bit of facilities trivia - what are the only two QPR grounds (Ballymore aside) certified for night football?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well it better be Brothers as they've just had their lights upgraded.

And Sunnybank.

Used to be Sunny coast as well obviously.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Trivia results.

When did the track get put in at St Lucia? There doesn't seem to be any issue with the in-goal at St Lucia these days despite the track - is the track not regulation shape because I recall at Homebush the in-goal use to eat into the track? Maybe the straights at St Lucia are longer and the curves shorter.

Red Heavy is probably out on the track a few times a week and might be able to let us know.

Another bit of facilities trivia - what are the only two QPR grounds (Ballymore aside) certified for night football?

Track went in around 1999-2000 or so. It's regular length and shape, but I think there is a difference in where the high-jump and javelin areas are. And there isn't any seating at the ends of the grounds, or barricades to notice how close the corner of the in-goal is to the track, but many wingers and fullbacks can attest to how close it is when they're tackled onto the tartan. It leaves a burn akin to carpet burn.

Wests 2 and Uni 2 are certified for night football, while Uni 1 is apparently too dim. Yeah, I don't know either.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS and Easts hosted the Friday Night semi-finals and grand finals respectively on their main fields a couple of a years ago. Does that make them QPR certified or does it fall under a different jurisdiction being the subbies comp?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed, I complained about them being unsuitable for Under 6 rugby a few years ago. Couldn't get the families back 5m from the sideline on the train track side.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sam Greene out for Brothers this week, massive loss for them in such an important game.
Is it because he was effectively a speed bump on about 10 different occasions last week?? Talented player with a good boot but needs to sort out his defence if he is to move any further, I am presuming this is the reason he was overlooked for the Aus U20's this year?

T

Tigers Tale

GPSx3 - I think you are right on the money when it comes to Greenie - he was a turnstile when he played for Reds A this year.

In fact I was surprised after Tim Sampson's involvement with the Reds A this year that Easts didn't send more forward runners down Greene's channel a few weeks back - might be keeping that up their sleave for the semis Filth!!!

Greene is a talented footballer with ball in hand though.

Do you think he'll get a gig for one of the NRC sides?

T

Tigers Tale

As far as the lights go - I was informed at the start of the season that only Uni & Easts lights were certified to play QPR. I might be wrong.

Great to here some other clubs have had their lights upgraded.

Easts have hade a couple of twilight games recently - Sydney Uni(2014) & Souths (2013).

I think there should be more of it - particularly during the School rugby season.

And as I said the other day Logan 1st Grade should play their home games under lights on a Friday.

When Sunnybank were admitted to the Reserve grade comp in the 1980s they played all their games mid week under lights.

The atmosphere at Bottomley to watch 3rd/4th grade play after Premier Grade in the twilight has been superb.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Irrespective of the cost, I think night games should be encouraged.

We have the 'Friday night filth' (two teams) who play on Jack Ross Oval sometimes.

We've recently had the upgrade on the bottom field, which means night games will mostly likely be played down there in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.