• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Tigers Tale I hope you stick around & post some more, especially along the lines of the #96 post (the long one) - it gives something to respond to which isn't necessarily along parochial lines. But if you want to stop finding this page, logging in, reading and replying it's your call- this is voluntary, after all.

Re your first point: I've heard some murmurings of other clubs forming Foundations to secure their club's financial future long term. I hope that's the case because it's probably the only way most clubs can ensure they're still around in 20 years. Grants, major sponsors, players may come and go, but if they don't have a club to play at, or if they have no one to play against, we have absolutely nothing. Funding and competition structures are anyone's guess from season to season!

Like almost everyone else on this forum I don't like to see clubs circling the drain because I like to watch high quality live rugby at venues where I can get a cold beer and a bloody great burger (winning club this year is Easts, but honourable mention to the GPS juniors who put the bacon & egg burgers on early Saturday mornings). More than that I love seeing the guys you see on TV coming down to play, run water or watch, and getting a taste of the REAL Australian rugby.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Like almost everyone else on this forum I don't like to see clubs circling the drain because I like to watch high quality live rugby at venues where I can get a cold beer and a bloody great burger (winning club this year is Easts, but honourable mention to the GPS juniors who put the bacon & egg burgers on early Saturday mornings).

Easts have got bloody good burgers, mate, I definitely agree. The Filth Burger is not to bad as well if you get the opportunity.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Jets - I just don't like seeing untruths getting legs.

Enjoy the break from me!

I'll be back when it seems right, but put the 22nd March 2014 at Bottomley in your diary.

As long as I am around TT there is absolutely no chance you can hang up the keyboard and not post in this forum. You will be at your desk reading all the comments and either headbutting your screen or punching walls as it will be too hard not to respond.

I agree with Filth Rugby for once, the burgers at Easts are some of the best. Without a doubt that is the best thing to come out of Bottomley Park since Ben Mowen.

On the other hand the filth burger although it may taste quite good, the canteen is heavily situated at the back of always a pretty solid Brothers Crowd, would you like some heckle with that burger? :)

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I love the bacon and egg wraps at Easts. I also like the burgers at Norths because they let you sort your own salads out, so you can really stack it up.

Iv never had a problem with the showers. What better example of sportsmanship then showering with the opposition after the game? After all what happens on the field stays on the field. The rest of the club house at Easts is pretty good and it's the most spectator friendly ground in the comp.

With regards to the Community Club at sunnybank Jets, a long long time ago Easts had pokies but sadly the rugby folk of the eastern suburbs weren't lured by the bright lights and siren calls of those majestic beasts. Meanwhile two local leagues clubs have grown fat on the thrown of their success. But the Easts board over the last few years have done a great job squeezing everything from players and sponsors and keeping expenditure low.

I haven't heard anything about this club comp? But if there is a $200,000 buy in Eastd could afford it if they wanted to and I desperately want them to. Iv been trying to follow the developments of the NPL and NEAFL as much a possible and my local NEAFL Club Morningside who have been extremely successful in the AFLQ have willing dropped bag from the NEAFL to AFLQ because it was to difficult and expensive to tread water at the level knowing they would never be able to do better. This decision really would only have been made wen pride and ego was put to the side.

Some Brisbane rugby clubs needs to seriously think about this when considering if they should be involved in a national comp.

I think you need 3 things for this: grounds, players and sponsors. Wests and souths done have the grounds, norths and GC don't have the players.

That leaves Easts, Sunnybank, Brothers, Uni, GPS.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It seems that Gold Coast Breakers, are now Bond University Breakers.

Sounds like the "invitation" to play in the Premier Competition will go direct to Bond and the Breakers will not be subject to decisions of their local District.

Interesting, they are a cashed up, private organisation and they will attract some new talented players (over a year or 2 - including overseas boys) to attend their Uni and play for the Breakers. Gold Coast players have leked to Sunnybak and Easts for years.

It looks positive for the coast club to become a very successful winning rugby club. The Brisy clubs will be quite envious of this association and the future potential

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It seems that Gold Coast Breakers, are now Bond University Breakers.

Sounds like the "invitation" to play in the Premier Competition will go direct to Bond and the Breakers will not be subject to decisions of their local District.

Interesting, they are a cashed up, private organisation and they will attract some new talented players (over a year or 2 - including overseas boys) to attend their Uni and play for the Breakers. Gold Coast players have leked to Sunnybak and Easts for years.

It looks positive for the coast club to become a very successful winning rugby club. The Brisy clubs will be quite envious of this association and the future potential

I think this is going to be good for everyone. For what ever the reason the concept of a regions rep side playing in Qld Prem Grade hasn't worked and a one club structure is the way to go.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Are we expecting the draw (or at least schedule) to be released this year?
It would be great if it was released in the coming weeks, helps with planning at work. Don't see why it would take too long as they have said the season will be earlier next year. Guess they need to know more about the apparent national comp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think this is going to be good for everyone. For what ever the reason the concept of a regions rep side playing in Qld Prem Grade hasn't worked and a one club structure is the way to go.
While the regional rep idea is good in theory it doesn't work in practice. Players want to be part of a team and belong to that team. It ok to move between teams in the one club where there is a common culture but it becomes a challenge when the teams you move between have different goals.

This is great news for the Breakers. They need a point of difference and being on the coast hasn't really attracted players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rumours down at GPS that discussions between Shane Arnold and Melbourne Rebels broke down, however, he has apparently been offered head coaching role of Australian u20s side. This wouldn't surprise me as he was already employed by the ARU as their Brisbane based skills coach (kicking mostly) for the Academy at Ballymore.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Michael Cook also has a long association with Marist College Ashgrove as both a teacher and coach of the 1st XV during the period where they went undefeated for many many years so he has established a decent coaching record. Possibility that the GPS reggies coaches from the last couple of years may take on some Premier roles as well.

Lots of changes happening at GPS for 2014 by the looks of it, even more so than this year where I thought a lot had changed. The club is also merging with GPS Ashgrove Juniors to become one 'company' as it stands. Should be beneficial in years to come as GPS Juniors are a very well supported club, at one stage recently I believe they were the largest junior rugby club in the southern hemisphere.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Word on the street is that Waita Setu has gone to Souths, Sef Faagase has gone to Uni and Nigel Genia is at Norths.

Can anyone confirm or is someone pulling my leg?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Also former Sunnybank lock Tom Murday was named in the Blues wider training squad for 2014.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Word on the street is that Waita Setu has gone to Souths, Sef Faagase has gone to Uni and Nigel Genia is at Norths.

Can anyone confirm or is someone pulling my leg?

I did hear a rumour about Faagase. Not sure about Setu and Genia, Southern X knows the depths of the Kennel, what have you heard?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've heard similar murmurs but considering Wests preseason hasn't started nor I believe Uni, Souths & Norths either. It will remain word on the streets until preseason kicks off & we can all gauge what talent each teams got with training goers & noshowers

She'll be right. The Kennels all about opportunity. Others will step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.