• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I understand the QUT-Norths setup was a type of amalgamation that essentially turned into what Norths is today? As in QUT themselves weren't solely running the team. I'm talking about uni's running a rugby setup as an independents.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
It takes more than $ and training facilities to get results at Premier level. And highly paid coaches can only do so much without the cattle.
I hope at least that Breakers become a bit more competitive this year but not really expecting ...

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
From what I understand the QUT-Norths setup was a type of amalgamation that essentially turned into what Norths is today? As in QUT themselves weren't solely running the team. I'm talking about uni's running a rugby setup as an independents.

Why would Griffith/QUT build a rugby program when there isn't really a competition for them to compete in?

Are you implying inclusion of new teams into our premier comp?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I think Brisbane needs, at least a 12 team premier competition.

Plenty of premier grade players running around in reserve and first grade.

Sent from my mind......

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
SX - yes I would argue that if colleges were able to construct a working rugby club model then they should play in the Premier comp. If that wasn't the case then there really wouldn't be an incentive for them to do so.

T

TOCC

I'd like to see Griffith involved, maybe they could partner with Logan if they ever reach Premier Grade.. There's a Griffith Campus in Logan so there is a demographic affiliation.

Is there demand from Griffith to become involved, perhaps, if depends on staff and how they see the whole sports program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy B

Bob McCowan (2)
I Personally think there is a need/inevitable for Universities such as QUT, Griffith, ACU to enter the competition. The ARU and QRU are bleeding club rugby dry with all their fees. At least the Universities have strong financial backgrounds, and could probably 'ride' it out.

Their will always be a need for Junior Rugby Clubs and it is imperative that Junior Rugby stays strong, however now with my 'pessimistic' hat on, I really worry about the future of some of the Senior Clubs. You can already see it starting to tear NSW Club Rugby apart. Maybe some Club/Uni amalgamations need to happen.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Logan, and two new teams from the Sunny Coast to make up the 12 team premier comp. The Uni's can jump on board. That would be perfect!!
QRU supports them into the comp.
Will strengthen Brisbane rugby, Queensland rugby and dare I say it, Australian rugby.
A 9 team premier comp in a city this size...... It's a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
I like the idea TGB. How about this.

From what I understand (probably wrong), the strongest 'financial' clubs in the comp are UQ, Sunnybank, Easts, Bond Uni and GPS. So they're in the comp. Brothers are one of the most traditional clubs and are in a plush area, so they also stay. Should be able to survive. *6 Clubs

Then other clubs merge with Uni's. Wests is inner city, so they go with QUT, Norths go with ACU, Logan with Griffith, Sunnycoast with University of Sunshine Coast, and we could also include a team from Toowoomba which I think is needed anyways, and they align with USQ. Also a team form North/Central Qld like they do in the Rugby League would also be great, aligning themselves with CQU *6 Clubs

That means you would have a sustainable 12 team comp with these teams.
  1. UQ
  2. Sunnybank
  3. Bond Uni
  4. Easts
  5. GPS
  6. Brothers
  7. Wests - QUT
  8. Norths - ACU
  9. Logan - Griffith
  10. Sunnycoast - SCU
  11. Central Qld - CQU
  12. Toowoomba/Darling Downs - USQ

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
MT I like where your head is at, however, I don't think unis and clubs partnering up would be sustainable in the long term. The clubs would want to keep their identity and the unis would probably only enter the comp if they had full control of the team.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Something... anything... just needs to be done.

Uncle Bill (ironic his name is Bill!!) is killing the game through various means. Will be interesting to see the participation stats at the end of this season.

Over 30% of Australia's rugby population play in QLD.... and we only have a 9 team "Premier" comp here in Brisbane?? That doesn't add up.

Anyway enough about Mr Bill Pulloff.

We need to develop a comp which is attractive to players from the bush and up state... drawing them to Brisbane because they want to have a shot at the big time because its a big deal etc.

If I can sit on my couch and watch some AFL game in the bush between 2 random club teams on NITV (love it!!) then why can't I do the same to watch the best rugby talent in QLD playing on the big screen?

My main point though, is to increase the Prem Comp size to accommodate the quality of players in Brisbane/QLD who are playing Reserve Grade and 1st Grade.

Evidence is NRC when both the City and Country teams pulled in players when injuries occurred, who played Reserve Grade level at some clubs.

I just think rugby would be better if all the best players, played at the best level.

Maybe a rule of "to be eligible for NRC, you must play at least 80% of your games at Premier Level in Brisbane (barring injury & Rep games of course)"

That would spread the talent, grow the game.

All Blacks cant be All Blacks unless they play in NZ ;) Same for Wallabies. Make it special. Unique.

I reckon there are some absolute superstars playing behind Wallabies and Reds at some clubs, and all over the state for that matter, unable to get their foot in the door.... and that's a shame, for the game and for them.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I like the idea TGB. How about this.

From what I understand (probably wrong), the strongest 'financial' clubs in the comp are UQ, Sunnybank, Easts, Bond Uni and GPS. So they're in the comp. Brothers are one of the most traditional clubs and are in a plush area, so they also stay. Should be able to survive. *6 Clubs

Then other clubs merge with Uni's. Wests is inner city, so they go with QUT, Norths go with ACU, Logan with Griffith, Sunnycoast with University of Sunshine Coast, and we could also include a team from Toowoomba which I think is needed anyways, and they align with USQ. Also a team form North/Central Qld like they do in the Rugby League would also be great, aligning themselves with CQU *6 Clubs

That means you would have a sustainable 12 team comp with these teams.
  1. UQ
  2. Sunnybank
  3. Bond Uni
  4. Easts
  5. GPS
  6. Brothers
  7. Wests - QUT
  8. Norths - ACU
  9. Logan - Griffith
  10. Sunnycoast - SCU
  11. Central Qld - CQU
  12. Toowoomba/Darling Downs - USQ
And what do you propose for Souths? Does one of the most successful Clubs of the 80's and 90's and a competitive Club ever since just disappear? I hope that you have just made an oversight!!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im sure it was an oversight warhorse, especially after what I believe Souths will achieve in 2015. Its shaping up to be a good year at the Nest from what I've heard.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can't see any change to the Premier comp in the short term. Clubs will have less money from 2015 on so they will be looking to spend less, not more. The only way a team from outside Brisbane, other than the coast teams, will enter the comp will be if they pay all the travel like the Vikings did when they were around.

As for the university connection I think you will find that Sunnybank and Griffith have a relationship.
http://www.griffith.edu.au/scholars...hips/sunnybank-senior-rugby-club-scholarships

I'm quite disenfranchised with the game at the highest level at the moment, to the point at least one of my sons will be playing soccer. I'm looking forward to watching a bit of Club rugby though as it takes me back to the way the game once was.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The bond uni is a pretty unique situation As the appointment of a rugby mad vice chancellor (Tim brailsford) coincided with troubled times for not only the breakers but the rep premier team structure.
Bond have fields and facilities (thanks to the Titans) that along with a with a strong sporting program could attract some overseas students (the money earner for uni's) Not to play as much as help build the culture and reputation of the uni outside the class room. Bond is set up differently to most uni's in terms that it is a private uni so things like fee's, class size, ease of acceptance and term structures are all very different.

As much as I would love to see teams from sunny Coast and Central qld in the premier comp I don't think the university angle is the way to go especially on a large scale.
The majority of uni's would not have enough to gain and the ajoining clubs
would lose too much.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Bond University have built new change rooms and a new training pitch for 2015, the uni has invested a hell of a lot of money into rugby for 2015.. Gary Nucifora as director of rugby, Sean hedger as coach, new training facilities, sponsor of QLD country and I believe also sponsors of the Wallabies.

How is the bond university investment been perceived on the Gold Coast, do the breakers connect with the wider rugby union community?

Close TOCC, Nucifora is in fact Director of Sport for Bond, so oversees all sports not just Rugby. Hedger is the new DOR and Premier Head Coach and it sounds like he may have some good people coming into support him and may well have cleared the decks! I heard he is making every effort to reconnect the Breakers with the local grassroots and presented at a local coaches forum a couple of weeks back. Not sure what the role up has been like at training but understand they started back last night and have another session tomorrow night with a trial against Easts valentines day maybe??? TT does this ring a bell?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hedger is a great pick up for Bond. Not only is he a quality coach but has a history in coach education so should be able to strengthen those around him.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

If you go further back it was Teachers- Norths wasn't it? As the QUT was known as QIT & was the teachers training college. I think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.