• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I like the idea TGB. How about this.

From what I understand (probably wrong), the strongest 'financial' clubs in the comp are UQ, Sunnybank, Easts, Bond Uni and GPS. So they're in the comp. Brothers are one of the most traditional clubs and are in a plush area, so they also stay. Should be able to survive. *6 Clubs

Then other clubs merge with Uni's. Wests is inner city, so they go with QUT, Norths go with ACU, Logan with Griffith, Sunnycoast with University of Sunshine Coast, and we could also include a team from Toowoomba which I think is needed anyways, and they align with USQ. Also a team form North/Central Qld like they do in the Rugby League would also be great, aligning themselves with CQU *6 Clubs

That means you would have a sustainable 12 team comp with these teams.
  1. UQ
  2. Sunnybank
  3. Bond Uni
  4. Easts
  5. GPS
  6. Brothers
  7. Wests - QUT
  8. Norths - ACU
  9. Logan - Griffith
  10. Sunnycoast - SCU
  11. Central Qld - CQU
  12. Toowoomba/Darling Downs - USQ

Griffith has been established at Nathan & South Brisbane for far longer than Logan & are in Souths catchment area, and are a traditional club.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
If you go further back it was Teachers- Norths wasn't it? As the QUT was known as QIT & was the teachers training college. I think...
After years of getting belted QIT capitulated and became Colleges and was coached by Lester Hampson. Colleges included two young second rowers who went on to be Wallabies - Damien Frawley and Bill Campbell. I think Michael Cook also played some games. From memory that only lasted the one year, 1982, and Colleges joined with GPS to be known as GPS-Colleges in 1983 and eventually of course remaining as GPS

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
Hi Guys According to my memory as far back as the early 70s there was QIT rugby club, that became Teachers Norths and then now it is Norths. QIT is now QUT university. That is the transition as I can remember. QIT used to be a great small rugby club made up of students and others that wanted to play rugby. The great Jackie Martin (best open side breakaway in the comp) used to play from QIT. He invented off side play that another great flanker now tries to emulate LOL. I saw Jack only 6 years ago in Christchurch playing some Golden Oldies, still a tough hombre, and one of the best blokes I've met.

I can see some credence in the thought process that puts forward, University rugby clubs and it has some merit in a wider picture. I also have doubts that this would ever happen as there would have to be a huge shift in clubland thought process to allow this. My mind implodes just thinking about the compromises that would have to be achieved for amalgamations etc. And the whole thought process of GPS rugby together with District rugby would have to be changed. However it doesn't hurt to dream a little.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
Having just read triplets post, I agree there was the transition period where colleges did evolve but as I remember they were teachers norths then and became colleges etc then Norths started up at Shaw Park, Damien Frawley went to Brothers and Bill Campbell stayed with Wests as did Lester to coach.
Damien Frawley's dad always was a Wests man as were the Campbells.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
From our Website:
Rugby in the North Brisbane area first took shape in 1929, with the Eagle Junction Club competing for many years before disappearing from the Brisbane Rugby scene in the 1950's.

This void was filled in 1962 when the Teachers Training College at Kedron fielded teams in the Brisbane Senior competition. The first premiership was won in 1963. Hugh Courtney, then Principal of the College, maintained Teachers Rugby Club throughout the 60's and the early 70's.

An amalgamation in 1974 with the new entity Norths saw the emergence of the Teachers Norths Rugby Club.

Teachers Norths enjoyed a successful decade in the 70's, winning a 1st Grade premiership in 1976. The Club also produced a number of Australian and Qld players.

During most of the late 70's, the Teachers Norths club had no fewer than 5 Wallabies at any one time. We contested all finals series during this period and reached the Grand Final in 1982. The nature of the teaching profession saw a huge turn-over of players, with players graduating and moving to teaching positions outside Brisbane. Teachers Norths fortunes were in decline at the time of moving to the present club facilities at Shaw Rd in 1984.

A further merger with Redcliffe Rugby Club saw the emergence of the North Brisbane Club in 1991. Despite lean pickings on the field during the 90's the club was still represented from time to time at State level (Penni Vola Vola, Rob McCartney, Isei Nasiganiyavi and Ilie Tabua) and Eddie Harris went on to win the coveted Rothmans medal towards the end of the 90's. Norths sides coached by John Roderick, Gary Hutchinson and Tom Barker - performed admirably during these difficult times.

Norths then formed an alliance in 2001 with Queensland University of Technology (QUT) adding to the list of changes over the course of our history. QUT had previously competed as QIT (Queensland Institute of Technology) with little success, winning only a U19 Premiership in 1974. This alliance has delivered less than what was originally anticipated with QUT moving away from an emphasis on sport, resulting in Norths deciding in 2008 to sever their alliance and stand alone as the North Brisbane Rugby Club.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bros have an allegiance of sorts with ACU - obviously the Catholic connection.

The 2015 season is coming around quickly. How many players are you planning to poach this year, TT?

I heard Sunnybank will be dangerous this year in their hopes to avenge a title of those Students from St Lucia.

I personally think the same top 4 in 2014 will eventuate in 2015.

Easts might sneak in; the maggies' are too unpredictable but still capable and the Coast need another year by the look of things.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
With the first week of pre season over. Is there any new recruits to clubs? Or any players moving to other clubs for perhaps greener pastures?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The QRU website premier draw is still showing rugby being played on Anzac Day.

Granted the Premier games are in the afternoon, but it is unreasonable to expect that the 3rd Graders/Early morning Colts are gonna wake up and either have to choose to attend their match or pay their respect.

i expect they'll change it.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sunnybank will be very hard to beat in 2015.

Although uni are very keen to go back to back which hasn't been done since the Vikings in the early 00's I believe.

Outside backs at uni are looking pretty strong. Tom cox (Brums/Melbourne) and Tom banks (injury) are back in the mix with Parker, pincus, JJ, Tuffley, Kallel and up and comers in Stacey and Cullen.

Conor Mitchell has had a good off season and has potential to one of the best players in the comp imo.

Tonga from norths has come down to uni along with randell from easts to stregthen the front row after the loss of wade (Brums) and a few other to overseas and retirement. Campbell Wakley is also looking pretty good after a strong off season and should be one of the leaders of the pack in 2015.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hedger is a great pick up for Bond. Not only is he a quality coach but has a history in coach education so should be able to strengthen those around him.

Hedger has already stamped his mark. From reports the level of coaching is similar to Super 15 level. Numbers are great and Bond seems to be building a "culture"

Garrick Morgan seems to be the adhesive between the community rugby and the "high performance" level of Bond Uni Rugby. Hopefully both parties engage each other and rugby on the coast will be great, moving forward.

Gold Coast SHOULD be (and I reckon within 3 years, it will be) the strongest "club" in the Brisbane Comp. Why ? Simply because it has a population base of some 500,000 - 600,000 to draw upon. Junior players need to be retained and Bond seems to be creating a pathway.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There seems to be a waiting list to get into Uni Rugby Club by other club players. Haha

Geez Randall from Easts. I recall him being quite a good player. May have played a final for Easts? Good pick up.

There is no denying Bond Rugby are a sleeping giant of Premier Rugby. I have to agree with Scrubber - they need a few more years.

I'm still a bit indecisive with picking how Brothers will perform in 2015. Obviously the young giant is a great addition. A solid forward pack with promising backs. So I'm definitely picking another finals appearance.

I just think University and Sunnybank will play in the final in 2015. I think with the depth and addition of players - makes an almighty difference.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon this big schoolboy is in for a rude shock or at least those who have been putting heaps of pressure on him.

He will be targeted by other forward packs, by men. It's a tough gig for a young fellow.

He is a giant of a bloke who has only played against other schoolboys. His real test will come during the season.

Hopefully he comes through.

He may be a world beater but I would prefer the kid to be mentored properly for longevity and the lads welfare

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tonga from norths has come down to uni along with randell from easts to stregthen the front row after the loss of wade (Brums) and a few other to overseas and retirement. Campbell Wakley is also looking pretty good after a strong off season and should be one of the leaders of the pack in 2015.

So Mitch Wade picked up a contract with the Brumbies? I find that very surprising. There are definitely better hookers playing club rugby than Wade. I'm not exactly fond of the guy though so my view may be skewed, he seemed like the type of player who was jumping around from club to club too much in search of his golden ticket.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
From what I hear 'loyalty' isn't his strongest trait (4 clubs it will be now in 3 years), but in saying that, I don't think he is all alone there. That is just young players these days, and unfortunately, most clubs have to accept it.
* I actually think Wade played quite well in 2014, but it was his first decent year.

There are numerous other examples of players playing for multiple clubs, or trying their luck overseas, leaving mid-season (or just before it starts) leaving their club short. Many of these young players want everything straight away, and if they don't get it, they complain/and or leave.

I am not trying to sound like an 'old' man, but I am pretty sure that this is a problem that is getting worse, not better in club rugby. Maybe some of the older gents might be able to back me up or disagree.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think a lot of it has to be with the fact that players are being signed at a younger and younger age. Back in the day players would play top grade club rugby, harden themselves up and earn selection for teams.

These days if a kid can score a few tries for their schools 1st XV then they have offers coming from everywhere and are getting snapped up by professional clubs. It means less spots in squads for the blokes who may be late bloomers and developing the 'traditional' way so to speak. The NRC should help those blokes out though now, theoretically.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what I hear 'loyalty' isn't his strongest trait (4 clubs it will be now in 3 years), but in saying that, I don't think he is all alone there. That is just young players these days, and unfortunately, most clubs have to accept it.
* I actually think Wade played quite well in 2014, but it was his first decent year.

There are numerous other examples of players playing for multiple clubs, or trying their luck overseas, leaving mid-season (or just before it starts) leaving their club short. Many of these young players want everything straight away, and if they don't get it, they complain/and or leave.

I am not trying to sound like an 'old' man, but I am pretty sure that this is a problem that is getting worse, not better in club rugby. Maybe some of the older gents might be able to back me up or disagree.

The days of club stalwarts are rapidly declining, for this exact reason. Too many kids come out of school and make demands on clubs with a 'what will the club offer me?' mentality rather than blokes who want to contribute to a club on and off the field. I've even heard of instances where colts coaches have tried to contact players for colts only to be told 'you'll have to speak to his manager', which baffles me.

It is a shame when young players are given an opportunity they may not have otherwise had and they turn round and throw it back in the clubs face. Would Sam Greene have played premier grade 2 seasons ago had he not played for Wests? In saying this, I'm also hearing stories of Richard Graham telling fringe Reds players who are at bottom clubs to move to other clubs. One player who had set the competition alight from a team further down the table the last few years was told this (he refused) and was overlooked for the NRC, while a prop who had moved to a top side ended up with game time for the reds ...coincidence?

T

Tigers Tale

Depends who the QRU push towards Easts.

"Slow to the" Breakdown this is just a ridiculous statement - Easts have picked up 2 players from the Reds in 20 years of professional rugby - Andrew Walker & Lachy Turner who both joined the Tigers because it was a club with solid links to its juniors.

T

Tigers Tale

There seems to be a waiting list to get into Uni Rugby Club by other club players. Haha

Geez Randall from Easts. I recall him being quite a good player. May have played a final for Easts? Good pick up.

There is no denying Bond Rugby are a sleeping giant of Premier Rugby. I have to agree with Scrubber - they need a few more years.

I'm still a bit indecisive with picking how Brothers will perform in 2015. Obviously the young giant is a great addition. A solid forward pack with promising backs. So I'm definitely picking another finals appearance.

I just think University and Sunnybank will play in the final in 2015. I think with the depth and addition of players - makes an almighty difference.

Randell played in 2013 Prem Grade GF when Ready was off the bench. Clearly Randell sees Ready preventing him playing Prems at Easts but Ready is only a Hanson/Fainga injury away from the Reds 23. Hasn't the Norths hooker gone to Uni as well so Randell is not guaranteed a Prem Grade start at Uni and Hanson will be back for the finals.

Another case of someone not understanding club loyalty.

That will be the 3rd player from the 2008 or 2013 Tiger Premierships sides to leave Easts for Uni. Now I am starting to understand why the Bulldogs get mad when their guys drive down the road to St Lucia.

Status
Not open for further replies.