• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
TBD, how are the gps teams settling in? how is the new coaching set up going throughout the grades? I see the premier grade side went down to a very handy reds 20s side over the weekend but from all reports this was very much a squad?

T

Tigers Tale

Wouldn't be much left of GPS Prems from 2014 with the following either injured, with Reds, Qld U20, or moved on:

Kite;
Saia Fainga'a
Kotze
Stower
Frisby
Grasso
Tuttle
Magnay
Johnson
Anthony Fainga'a
Kerevi
Kurindrani
Shane Arnold

What will the GPS line-up look like for this Saturday?

Following was their 2014 Preliminary Final side:

GPS: Ryan Freney, Saia Fainga’a, Phil Kite, Marco Kotze, Dan Gorman, Michael Richards, Damian Stower, Jono Ellis, Sam Grasso, James Tuttle, Chris Kuridrani, Sam Johnson, Samu Kerevi, Issac Weier, Todd Winkley
Coach: Shane Arnold

Bold - unavailable this Saturday

Dammers will earn his money this week!!!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Damian Stower has retired and Grasso is injured at the moment TT. Its going to be a very different looking side.

Swansong I haven't gotten to see much of GPS Prem grade in action so far but yes they have been trialing as a Prem/Prem Reserve squad for essentially the entire pre-season. Good things to report at the moment though with all teams having a decent hit-out at Ballymore on the weekend.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did Stower get injured? seems like an early retirement for someone who just broke into consistent premier grade form, he was one of the names being whispered around at Souths with a connection to Picone and Newstars sevens program.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe a combination of head knocks and fulltime work kind of forced Stower into retirement. I have heard he may feature in a few lower grade games though during the season. The Picone connection hasn't seemed to decimate GPS as I had once feared!

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
From the BRC Facebook Page.

Brothers Rugby Club
March 8 at 10:30pm ·

Friday night footy is coming to Brothers Rugby Club!
This Friday, March 13 the mighty Brethren will welcome the touring Division 1 Christchurch Football Club side to the hallowed grounds of Crosby Park.
The game will follow the opening of the new light installment at Jack Ross Oval, taking place at 5:15 pm with the game kicking off 5:45 pm.
We invite and strongly encourage all of our supporters and players to come along and enjoy this momentous occasion!

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I believe a combination of head knocks and fulltime work kind of forced Stower into retirement. I have heard he may feature in a few lower grade games though during the season. The Picone connection hasn't seemed to decimate GPS as I had once feared!

Speculation aside, can someone actually clarify which 2014 GPS players actually pulled on a Souths Jersey in rd 1? Putting bit & pieces together, it sounds like minimal.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
Speculation aside, can someone actually clarify which 2014 GPS players actually pulled on a Souths Jersey in rd 1? Putting bit & pieces together, it sounds like minimal.
Speculation is usually just that....speculation.
I've been away from the Nest for a while, but as far as I know, none of this originated from Souths. So what are your thoughts, Breakdown?

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Pretty sure it was just people assuming players would follow Picone to Souths.. The only couple I know of are from lower grades going for family reasons.

For those who made it down, how did Craigie Hunt go at fullback for Norths?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Bond did well to get within 3 points of University. Bond won reserve grade.

Logan got belted in 1st and 2nd grade and had to forfeit 3rd grade? It's really disappointing to hear considering how well they did last year.

I was down at UQ for these games and had a bit of a yarn with their coach and players. Lack of numbers was obviously brought up(however they always struggle a bit more away from home). The main reasons were players being targeted by Sunnybank/Soufs, away game and the new players levy. They have lost a huge number of players due to the first and last points. The biggest issue for the club as a whole is the levy, the coaches were very concerned that it will have a huge impact on Logan and similar clubs where there are cheaper sporting options nearby... losing some pretty talented blokes to other codes.

They had about 20 players for 1st and 2nd grade. The bunch who turned up were great, some played 2 full games in pretty horrible heat. They earned a huge amount of respect from the UQ players who were mighty impressed with them playing both games as well as the spirit in which the Logan players played both games. They were a great bunch of blokes as were their coaching staff.... a bit of a rarity these days to have that kind of rapport with an opposition team unfortunately. The players were sharing a few good laughs on the field. At training tonight the boys were still talking about it. I've always liked Logan as a club, they seem to have a great community.... they picked up a few new fans on the weekend. Kudos Logan, looking forward to the return leg (also helps that you do have the best burgers going around).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep as a long time Logan man I was very concerned when I got to game last week, it really hurt to see how many players have decided to leave, a few have decided that they just don't see the QRU will ever let us in Prems, so have decided to go to other clubs or codes, probably having Colts team from last year picked up elsewhere has hurt the most (well I think so anyway). There also a problem with earlier games in grades we playing as quite a few players have to work Sat mornings, so have decided it just not longer worth it. Anyway having a beer at the regatta on the way home last week was one of the more sobering drinks I have had in quite some time!!
Also add to what Purce said, was mighty impressed with the spirit the 1sts game was played in, and thought the Uni boys showed a lot of respect to a team they had just given a towelling to, a couple of us were saying it good to see the spirit is still alive in rugby.

T

Tigers Tale

Brothers Rugby Club

This Friday, March 13 the mighty Brethren will welcome the touring Division 1 Christchurch Football Club side to the hallowed grounds of Crosby Park.
The game will follow the opening of the new light installment at Jack Ross Oval, taking place at 5:15 pm with the game kicking off 5:45 pm.
We invite and strongly encourage all of our supporters and players to come along and enjoy this momentous occasion!

Filth will there be an entrance fee for the game?

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the GPS side (1-15) was that played Qld 20's on the weekend. Obviously due to the bye, they are the only team who's current starting XV we don't know.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry MT but I don't know if the actual team was published and I don't think it would be fully reflective of the side which will take the field against Easts this weekend as GPS operated as a Premier Squad for the U20s trial.

Simon Smale

Frank Row (1)

Brothers Rugby Club

Might be worth heading down to that - and a pretty good use of the bye seeing as it's so early in the season... I'm guessing these bye-week matches will tail off later on in the season?

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
TBD, I have heard this morning from a GPS mouth that matt winkley the S&C coach has left the club due to issues with the new coach. That is pretty big news as I understand Winkley spent big dollars on the gym upgrade in an agreement with the club so he could run his business out of there "Winkfit" what is happening there? Seems like the club is falling apart at the seams?

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Might be worth heading down to that - and a pretty good use of the bye seeing as it's so early in the season. I'm guessing these bye-week matches will tail off later on in the season?

Sorry not sure if charging at the gate. Hopefully NOT. Please do not assume the decision to charge at the gate has universal agreement. Players already hit $475 for the season. Big big jump from last year ! Thank you QRU/ARU.

Also Life Membership lunch for Chris Handy and John Connelly at the club on Friday leading into the kick off. Should be a great afternoon and evening of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.