• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Easts 20 d GPS 18. Weird win for my Tigers as Jeeps seemed to have the "rub of the green " for most of the game and looked like winning until the last 60 seconds. Great Tigers' effort as some of their key regular Prem players were missing. Bottomley was rocking and no team will have an easy game there in 2015.
Ref turned the 1st half into a yellow card-fest and he was obsessively concerned about the forwards but to his credit he was fair to both sides. Great day at Tigerland.

Bond d Souths 19-17. Bond will cause some grief this year. Good to see.
Uni d Norths 24-7
Sunnybank d Wests 29-18. Good. Only Wests fans like to see Wests winning. "Take me home Sylvan Road" makes me vomit. Still.

QPR is far more entertaining than the Reds. What the hell is going on with those "stars" - 29-0 at 76:45 . woeful!
You are kidding yourself to say that GPS had the run of the green,we copped 3 yellow cards. I think both teams and both set of spectators were robbed of a decent game because of Simon Moore, he is a complete twat. I would like to know how many penalties he blew but every 2nd play he seemed to find a penalty, he sin binned an Easts player and stopped the game for 5 minutes over a little bit of push and shove. I continue to be amazed that this clown gets given premier grade games, he reminds of a person that was bullied at school and now feels some sort of power be is holding a whistle. Not ranting because GPS lost, it was a tough game in which a draw was probably a fair result but deadset, take the whistle away for this guy,he is terrible!!

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The last yellow card was a funny one against GPS, from the sideline you could clearly hear the ref say "ball is out" from the ruck thus king ran through and picked it up and gets carded for it?!
It was an interesting game though, good battle. Easts looked ok but not a lot of slick ball in the backs, with some clean ball I think they would have been in for a another couple of tries.

Simon Smale

Frank Row (1)
You are kidding yourself to say that GPS had the run of the green,we copped 3 yellow cards. I think both teams and both set of spectators were robbed of a decent game because of Simon Moore, he is a complete twat. I would like to know how many penalties he blew but every 2nd play he seemed to find a penalty, he sin binned an Easts player and stopped the game for 5 minutes over a little bit of push and shove. I continue to be amazed that this clown gets given premier grade games, he reminds of a person that was bullied at school and now feels some sort of power be is holding a whistle. Not ranting because GPS lost, it was a tough game in which a draw was probably a fair result but deadset, take the whistle away for this guy,he is terrible!!

29 penalties in the game. Split 15 v 14 against Easts... Fairly even.

I think the first push and shove he took a fair bit of advice from his touch judge - and it seemed like there was a fair bit in the game, lots and lots of chat...

Didn't see the incident clearly but looked like if he was going to send off one, he should have sent off the GPS 10 too...

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Poor display agreed. Out of touch. The way he spoke down to players was made loud and clear via the live stream. Out of his depth deluxe

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
referees can never call a game right. a 50/50 even split day in terms of right calls is only dreaming.

You can have a 51/49 and someone will still find a reason to whinge.

I honestly don't like whinging about referees because 9 out of 10 times the better team will win.

I think the worst thing with refereeing is the scrum. I'm going to give the referee the benefit of the doubt being closer to the action seeing what's happening at the impact zone. a lot of drunk yobbo fans yelling from sidelines, 10x the distance away about a collapse scrum etc.. it's a bit farfetched that their eyesight is better then the guy sponsored by OPSM.

On the flipside mostly backs/loose forwards (6 thru 15) go onto have careers as referees. A lot of the time these backs have never even stood near a scrum machine so they have no idea what goes on with the cauliflower ear brigade.

Need to make sure that more props & hookers slim down and keep up their cardio so that they can referee at higher levels. this will be the only way that scrum time will be called correctly, either that or have some of these outside backs be mentored by the Pileckis and Buddha's of the world.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
The scrum was only a small part of his issues. The way he spoke down to the players was deplorable. It was a first class show of Talking to People with Disrespect 101. Is it no wonder he was losing control and the players were unresponsive?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The scrum was only a small part of his issues. The way he spoke down to the players was deplorable. It was a first class show of Talking to People with Disrespect 101. Is it no wonder he was losing control and the players were unresponsive?

I got no opinion on yesterdays game cause i did not see it.

I'm just saying in general the scrum is the hardest thing to interpret in rugby. If you watch the tv telecast the people in super rugby with the biggest look of bafflement on their face after a penalty is the props and hookers!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
SX that's more because they are amazed their tricks didn't pay off! As a frontrower I can tell you all 4 props are cheating at scrum time, it's just a matter of who does it best!
And that's the problem isn't it. Even ex-front rowers are still going to have to choose which of the multitude of possible penalties to award at each scrum.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is turning into a discussion for another thread but I will say that I feel very strongly that some rule tweaking needs to happen whereby most scrum infringements only result in a short arm penalty, rather than a full arm. Too many refs are blowing full-arms for minor issues and are then happy to reverse the penalty on the next scrum.

After the 3rd or 4th short arm, if its against the same player, then yes I can see it warranting more of a penalty but until that point its such a grey area with not enough expertise to determine who is at fault.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Question - can a match official physically manhandle a player during a game?

During an altercation yesterday, between wingers, the touch judge got in between the two players and then grabbed a particular players Jersey, by his collar and was quite aggressive in shoving him back, in a way another player would shove another in a "you wanna go bro" manner.

Being the wingers, they weren't the biggest boys and the touch judge was a lot bigger than both of them.

I asked him after the game "can a referee physical touch a player" and he arrogantly said
"There's nothing in the rules to say I can't"

Sooooo can they??

Sincerely,
Curious

Sent from my mind......

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog I agree that we don't want to make this a forum on the dynamics of scrum penalties and I don't want to bag the QPR refs because the Test & S15 Refs can't get it right either.

My point is more to do with how the ref on Saturday thinks it approriate to award a scrum penalty in the 80th minute of a game in order to potentially shape the result of the game - practically speaking a reasonable man would not put himself in such a position surely.

I will only make one comment on this and it is this:
- fair to say that Easts had the dominate scrum all game evidenced by penalty try in first half;
- in the last play of the game GPS had a put in to a 5 metre scrum on the Easts try line;
- the first scrum set - Easts destroyed the GPS scrum - to the extent that you would have thought that they would have received the put in to the scrum when it was reset but no GPS retained the feed;
- when the scrum was reset a penalty was awarded to GPS on engagement;
- at 18-20 GPS had shot for goal to win the game but missed;
- this is not the first time that this particular referee's quirky decisions have affected the result in an Easts game over the last few seasons;
- It is results like yesterday which ultimately decide who makes the top 4 at the end of the day and why would a referee who clearly knows nothing about the dynamics of a scrum choose to award a scrum penalty in the 80th minute which could have affected the outcome of the game;
- maybe he wants to be godlike in his decision making and decide who wins the games he officiates - this is clearly bourne out in the manner in which he handles the players - someone has already mentioned this about the audio on the live feed;

I say this and my club won the game, but this guy is not respected by the Coaches, Players or Other Referees yet he continues to be appointed to QPR games - watch out he'll be coming to your club soon and he may ruin your Saturday afternoon and your clubs semi finals aspiration.

That's it I will say no more - pardon the pun!!

T

Tigers Tale

GPSx3 - I agree whole heartedly

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Souths were a bit disappointing I must say on the weekend. They came out stronger in the second half but needed to be far more aggressive at the breakdown and were a little lacklustre with attacking shape. Gotta make the most of these early rounds.

Congrats to the winning clubs this week - good to see the "game of the round" was everything we anticipated.

T

Tigers Tale

Souths were a bit disappointing I must say on the weekend. They came out stronger in the second half but needed to be far more aggressive at the breakdown and were a little lacklustre with attacking shape. Gotta make the most of these early rounds.

Congrats to the winning clubs this week - good to see the "game of the round" was everything we anticipated.

Well it had controversy but I think we'd rather see running rugby to be honest.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Question - can a match official physically manhandle a player during a game?

During an altercation yesterday, between wingers, the touch judge got in between the two players and then grabbed a particular players Jersey, by his collar and was quite aggressive in shoving him back, in a way another player would shove another in a "you wanna go bro" manner.

Being the wingers, they weren't the biggest boys and the touch judge was a lot bigger than both of them.

I asked him after the game "can a referee physical touch a player" and he arrogantly said
"There's nothing in the rules to say I can't"

Sooooo can they??

Sincerely,
Curious

Sent from my mind..

Probably explains why he told the ref to f#%k off when he copped the cheese then.

While I have felt the frustration of refs before just like everyone else on this forum the reality is this is the 4th tier comp in QLD and the Refs will make mistakes just like players will drop passes on their chest and miss one on one tackles.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
TrainerGB, its a very good point you raise. I have spent several years working on referee boards/referee training (for a long time in NSW) and I do note there is another forum for this so don't want to cross over too much.. but this is something which actually arises a fair bit.

The bottom line of this is that No A referee should not ever see a need to touch a player - However - As the referee said there is nothing in the rules about this so there is nothing technically wrong with it - more a matter of they shouldn't do it as a way or proper practice.

Also, a referee has the ability to use discretion throughout a game where he sees fit/or a need to be involved... Sounds like he went a bit over the top here though, but an example of this is the good old sideline supporters - Have you ever seen a referee penalise someone on the sideline for swearing etc. etc. those are things which are at a refs discretion - not directly in the rule book but doesn't mean they actually can't make the decision/become involved.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks team.... I suppose a dangerous reaction could be the instinct of a player kicks in during the scuffle and he inadvertently pushes/shoves/punches the ref or sideline official.

Then the player is in a lot more doo-doo than beforehand.

I think, to avoid that type of thing happening, they should just back away, observe, and then report to the ref or whoever at the appropriate time. Getting in there and shoving players away isn't a good idea. Just my thoughts.

ANYWAY - The ref we had for our 1st grade game was outstanding to be honest. One of the better ones we've had. Clear communication, really fair, explained his decisions well and I think he is certainly above 1st grade level. Even though we got pumped by a good Uni side, there was no chat during or afterwards of the refs decisions, which is a good sign. Uni 1st grade players are certainly a credit to their club. No niggle, no issues, no big heads, no dirty play, no over celebrating etc.
Well done boys!!

I think generally the respect shown within the 2 playing groups of Uni and Norths was really good on Saturday, across the board. Especially during injuries etc.

Norths vs Souths this weekend, will be some interesting battles and looking at the table, we are in a very similar positions.

Fingers crossed for some Eagles victories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.