• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Rat - the problem with your "get them as colts and make them Prem players" scheme is that you need a talent influx into your colts system and I just don't see that Wests have had that of recent time so unless you source talent/experience externally you are just putting lambs to the slaughter.

It doesn't help when talent (e.g. Greene, Sef, etc) leaves the club and goes elsewhere.

Wests were making advances with their scrum early in the season - Sef would have enhanced that, and then if you got regular game time from Ed O'D and all of a sudden you would have had a good scrum and lineout and a talented halves pairing playing off the back of that!!!

The problem is that at the moment you probably don't have 15 Prem standard players every week and if you slide the 4/5 guys that aren't up to it (e.g. the #11) back to reserve grade and you have Sef, O'D, Greene playing in their stead, they make the other guys look and perform better and then you are a force to be reckoned with.

That's why I said the other day that Wests are not far from it.

The Reds went from a basket case in 2009, to 5th in 2010 and then 2011 champs.

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
Your right Rat, Wests structure looks out the door and somtimes looks like they don't know where to go. Smith didn't have his best game defensively made two try saving tackles in cover that saved them chasing the game. Maybe he's trying to much.?
10 turner was superb on Tuesday

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Rat - the problem with your "get them as colts and make them Prem players" scheme is that you need a talent influx into your colts system and I just don't see that Wests have had that of recent time so unless you source talent/experience externally you are just putting lambs to the slaughter.

It doesn't help when talent (e.g. Greene, Sef, etc) leaves the club and goes elsewhere.

Wests were making advances with their scrum early in the season - Sef would have enhanced that, and then if you got regular game time from Ed O'D and all of a sudden you would have had a good scrum and lineout and a talented halves pairing playing off the back of that!!!

The problem is that at the moment you probably don't have 15 Prem standard players every week and if you slide the 4/5 guys that aren't up to it (e.g. the #11) back to reserve grade and you have Sef, O'D, Greene playing in their stead, they make the other guys look and perform better and then you are a force to be reckoned with.

That's why I said the other day that Wests are not far from it.

The Reds went from a basket case in 2009, to 5th in 2010 and then 2011 champs.
TT - agree with most of what you're saying however it's about development of players in Colts so they evolve & are equiped to make the transition to res/ prem's. Milosovic & Richards were good colts without being great, but have had time invested into them & have now stepped up successfully.

T

Tigers Tale

Breakdown - I agree you don't have to be winning Prem Colts premierships - you won't be able to compete with Uni in any event - but you do need to bring on a few players each year that can step up to Prem Grade - Milo & Richards are good examples they will never play Super Rugby but they don't let the side down and they step up playing with better players around them.

Every now and then you get a gem - Gunn, Placid, Wilkin, etc - but you may not have them for long as they move on to bigger and better things.

Players joining the club are also a vital piece of the puzzle - only have to look at the influence that Hagen, Power & Gordon have had on the Tigers this year.

Easts got pretty lucky with those three - they sort out the club rather than the club chasing them - the best form of recruitment (i.e. build it and they will come).

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm going out on a limb and predicting the final top four.

1) Easts
2) University
3) Sunnybank
4) Brothers

In my opinion, the Brothers v Bond fixture will decide who make that final spot.

TT, you may be shocked but I've tipped the Tigers to take out the minor-premiership. (please note: minor not major!)

I think the form displayed by Easts will continue, they're playing solid footy.

However, I also make the prediction that if Easts, Brothers or Bond beat University or Sunnybank in any semi or preliminary final, they will go on to be Premiers. Beating the Students or Sunnybank in a final adds a mountain of confidence to any outfit, considering how strong those clubs have been of late.

I still have plenty of hope for Brothers, they're not done yet.

T

Tigers Tale

Given the points table (below) leading into this weekend's games - fair to say that the winners of the Easts v Bond and the Snbk v Uni games will finish the first half of the H&A season in 1st and 2nd spot and hence play off for the Welsby Cup when they next meet which should it be Bond & Uni would be in round 10 at Bond.

It would be Bond's first shot at QPR silverware - the Breakers did secure the Welsby Cup in 2003 & 2005 and the Hospital Cup in 2004.

Top 4 after Round 8:
Easts 29
Bond 27
Uni 27
Snbk 26

T

Tigers Tale

Filth you scare me with compliments.

I think it is too early to call minor premiers & top 4, any of the top 5 could suffer a form slump or an injury crisis - probably Easts, Bond & Bros are most susceptible to something like that.

Yes beating Uni or Snbk at full strength is a feather in your cap - something that Easts didn't have to do in 2013 when they beat GPS in the Major & Grand Finals - GPS were left to dispose of Uni in the Preliminary final.

I would never write Brothers off until its done but after a somewhat "easier" run over the next 3 weeks (Sths, Wests, Bye) you run into Snbk & Bond which will be telling - you will probably need to win both of those because in rounds 15-17 you run into GPS @ full strength, Easts(A) and Uni @ full strength.

If you lose to Snbk & Bond that will be 6 losses and even with your superior bonus point status that might be a bridge too far.

You are not done yet but you are getting close!!!;)

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tigers Tale, don't mean to be rude but do you have a job? It amazes me how much time you have on your hands to voice such expert opinions on not only Easts but every other clubs situations. You are like the Andrew Voss of Brisbane club rugby!

T

Tigers Tale

I apologise that I have been worrying you GPSx3.

Isn't this forum about discussing QPR stuff? - If you don't like the trivia that I post then don't read it.

FYI - my job is more secure than Dammers'.

T

Tigers Tale

GPSx3 maybe you are still a bit raw about anything to do with the Tigers following the 2013 Grand Final.

How is that "superiority-complex" that your club suffers from?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
settle TT, he asked a question, no obligation to answer. But there is an obligation to remain calm and civil.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
GPSx3 maybe you are still a bit raw about anything to do with the Tigers following the 2013 Grand Final.

How is that "superiority-complex" that your club suffers from?

In fairness TT I don't think SheepsSheepsSheeps was having a go and neither was I. Just an observation that you are the highest commentator on here, often have an opinion or ten and go into ridiculous detail or off on perceived random tangents.

I've got to say I've learnt a lot, about people I don't know and clubs I have never been a part of, from reading some of your novels.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Too much focus on GPS TT. They are a shambles. Yes they will get players back. But they had players back for the Brothers match and were all over the shop. Nut we've been there and that ain't changing any time soon.
It is too early to call but Bond seem to be chipping away quietly and I reckon they will be there in the mix. Sunnybank rolled over too easily against Easts but I doubt they would do that too many more times. Easts just seem to have the ability to close out games at the moment. That's something all the better teams can do. My concern about Brothers is that they have lost 3 (??) games by one point at the death. Uni are hot and cold.
From the standard seen by the Souths v Wests match the other night, there is a distinct difference between the top of the comp and the rest. Credit to the Kennel folk though. I've been impressed with their improvement in Prems and reggies. They will only be better next year.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks for throwing your toys out of the cot TT! If you have such a problem with GPS and our "complexes" happy for you to come and discuss with me in person at the GPS V Easts game in a couple of weeks, that is if you can find me amongst the 1500 - 2000 strong crowd that we draw every home game at GPS. I will even buy you a cold XXXX Gold and the best part is that unlike at Easts, we won't have to line up for 25 minutes to get it, even though there is 10 times the people there!

Yes this is a QPR forum however I do not believe that it is a forum for ill-informed comments about Clubs that you have nothing to do with. Maybe you should wait until the end of this year until trying to rib us about 2013 as this year you might find out what it is like to be the best team throughout the year only to stumble at the final hurdle.

Just wondering, do you have any official role at Easts or are you just a very keen supporter? I only ask because I would be shocked if anyone that held an official position at a Club would carry on and slander other clubs in the competition as constantly as you do!

T

Tigers Tale

Sorry GPSx3.

Good luck v Norths, but be careful against Fogarty's crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.