• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

You are being very respectful to the Tigers in those selections Filth - I'm happy with it - particularly the coach he's very good.

T

Tigers Tale

Easts 19 def Bond 15
Snbk 29 def Uni 24
Bros 24 def Souths 17

Therefore Easts v Snbk in Welsby Cup.

Table after round 9
Easts 33
Snbk 30/31
Uni 28/29
Bond 28
Bros 26

Still crazy tight.

Match report: Easts scrum was the difference. Krelle was good as Brandon back up but MOM rightly Paraka he did a job on the Bond scrum. Loudest cheer when Sam Fattal got a YC directly in front of the beer garden but took ribbing well with a broad grin.

Moore gave the Tigers a heap of penalties but still doesn't know much about scrums!!! No complaints well refereed and it was played in a good spirit and both teams were good in defence.

T

Tigers Tale

As for Bond they are a good side well prepared and if you want to beat them you will have to earn it as they won't gift it to you.

I think they were down a few troops in the back line today so it will be an interesting encounter between the 2 varsity sides next Sat at Bond.

Both sides (all sides in top 4) need to keep winning with the Filth just poised for any slip up.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brothers had a good win against a solid Souths side.

Tongan Thor scored an outstanding try running straight over the top of some Souths defenders.

Brothers scrum was dominant, however, I think they won the game out wide.

It was 24-0 at one point and to Souths credit they came back.

Brothers take on Wests in the "Battle of the Bush" next week.

Easts v Norths
UQ v Bond
Brothers v Wests
Souths v Sunnybank

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Brothers take on Wests in the "Battle of the Bush" next week.

I thought it was the Pilecki/Shaw Cup?

Are you implying I won't be spending my $5.00 entry fee to Crosby Road but rather putting that in my gas tank to drive out to Roma or something?

T

Tigers Tale

TT, based on what you've seen, who do you think is a tougher team - Bond or Brothers?

Tough question Filth - Bros were very impressive in the first half v Easts on Anzac Day but Bond are a side that just seems to stay in the battle and they probably have more improvement in them.

If you are asking who will finish higher on the table then I say Bond unless Bros can somehow find a way to turn narrow losses into wins. It will take more than the Thor steamrolling guys on the way to the try line he needs to continue to enhance his scrummaging ability/technique which he is more than capable of.

At this stage of the season I'd say there aren't too many better scrums than the Tigers in the comp, when Paraka, Ready & Sanday are up front.

T

Tigers Tale

Was that James Sua that came on as a replacement for the Tigers on Saturday?

Sua & Tim Sampson (both Snbk) were joint Alec Evans medal winners in 2005.

Who is the oldest QPR player? Riley (Easts), Bond Uni lock, someone else?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
At this stage of the season I'd say there aren't too many better scrums than the Tigers in the comp, when Paraka, Ready & Sanday are up front.

Thor is being well helped by Mafi. Not many hookers in the country let alone state can do what this kid can do at scrum time. He is toying with players in club rugby land.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Was that James Sua that came on as a replacement for the Tigers on Saturday?

Sua & Tim Sampson (both Snbk) were joint Alec Evans medal winners in 2005.

Who is the oldest QPR player? Riley (Easts), Bond Uni lock, someone else?
Fuimono will turn 37 this year

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Thor is being well helped by Mafi. Not many hookers in the country let alone state can do what this kid can do at scrum time. He is toying with players in club rugby land.

Mafi mucks around on engagement trying to pull penalties if that's the best he can do give me Ready any day. Didn't work vs Easts

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Tough question Filth - Bros were very impressive in the first half v Easts on Anzac Day but Bond are a side that just seems to stay in the battle and they probably have more improvement in them.

If you are asking who will finish higher on the table then I say Bond unless Bros can somehow find a way to turn narrow losses into wins. It will take more than the Thor steamrolling guys on the way to the try line he needs to continue to enhance his scrummaging ability/technique which he is more than capable of.

Don't forget AJ Campbell he started 7/10 of Easts matches and again on the weekend destroyed another 3 scrums after he came on and he can lay both sides of the scrum. With Paraka likely to go back to the Reds and Sanday to get a Fiji RWC training camp call up AJ will be crucial to the Tigers as will Josefa

T

Tigers Tale

Don't forget AJ Campbell he started 7/10 of Easts matches and again on the weekend destroyed another 3 scrums after he came on and he can lay both sides of the scrum. With Paraka likely to go back to the Reds and Sanday to get a Fiji RWC training camp call up AJ will be crucial to the Tigers as will Josefa

AJ is very impressive. Easts scrum hasn't missed a beat when he's played this season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TT, I was chatting to one of the Easts boys on the weekend and he said "we've got this" referring to the premiership. Not big noting themselves as this lad is a humble chap, but just completely full of confidence in his team and support crew.

A good sign.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
To TT's credit, he hasn't been overly arrogant about Easts' winning streak. As Reg alluded, Easts obviously are confident and rightly so. However, there is still a lot of footy to be played.

As we've seen in previous years, the best performing team in the regular season doesn't usually get the big reward at the end of the day.

B

Bobby Sands

Good to hear Fattal is going well, with his age and size he would have to be a monty to get a gig at the Reds in some capacity in the coming years.

T

Tigers Tale

Reg I thinks its bit early to make those types of calls. There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge before you can make those types of statements with real conviction rather than blind optimism.

It does seem that the coaching team of Sampson & Connellan are doing a splendid job, because I don't think that many pundits would have predicted Easts to lead the comp after 9 rounds.

At Easts we don't get ahead of ourselves we only have to go back to 2012 when we lead the comp at the half way mark (again with only 1 loss), suffered a horror run of injuries, lost to last placed Norths at home, won the Welsby Cup v Brothers, but missed the semis on F&A to GPS after a huge thumping by Sunnybank in the last round.

I would say that Sunnybank & Uni still have to be equal favourites to take out the 2015 Hospital Cup.

Having said that I think the set piece and breakdown work is excellent and when they get the ball wide they look good especially through White & Hagen.

I know that generally this forum rates Toby White very highly - but I think after the NRC experience his all round game has just gone to another level, he is scoring tries this year that I don't think we would have 12 months ago.

Surely Hagen will get a Qld Country call up at the end of the season. Hagen knows how to hunt down a try.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - absolutely still very early days and the list below shows that very few teams do the Welsby & Hospital Cups Double - of recent times Bros(2009) & Uni (2010 & 2014).

Year : Welsby Cup Hospital Cup
2004 : SNBK ; GCB
2005 : GCB ; SNBK
2006 : SNBK ; Wests
2007 : Wests ; SNBK
2008 : Bros ; Easts
2009 : Bros ; Bros
2010 : Uni ; Uni
2011 : Easts ; Snbk
2012 : Bros ; Uni
2013 : GPS ; Easts
2014 : Uni ; Uni

I appreciate that Easts play Snbk in round 17 for the 2015 Welsby Cup. Which with Sunnybank at full strength will be a tough day at the office at Oldmac Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.