• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
At the GPS dinner the other night Shane Arnold announced 2014 was his last year as Premier head coach. It wasn't specified if he was taking another full-time role somewhere but confirmed his ongoing roles with Aus 20s and Brisbane NRC played a part in the decision.

Good luck to Shane in the future.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TBD who will take over the reins at GPS? Drahm or will they call for applicants?

Crusher unfortunately I don't have any real knowledge of the situation. All I know is that no announcement for a replacement was made at the dinner.

Personally, I would have thought if Drahm were taking over it would have been announced at the same time, which makes me think they may be looking at other applicants first. I do know all coaching positions, including Premier Grade, are being advertised, however, this seems to be the norm now post-season regardless if coaches are being retained or not.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They are advertising. A few options within the club. A former coach very interested. Cockbain approached.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I heard they have spoken to a few guys about the gig. One things for sure they will be proactive about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Crusher unfortunately I don't have any real knowledge of the situation. All I know is that no announcement for a replacement was made at the dinner.

Personally, I would have thought if Drahm were taking over it would have been announced at the same time, which makes me think they may be looking at other applicants first. I do know all coaching positions, including Premier Grade, are being advertised, however, this seems to be the norm now post-season regardless if coaches are being retained or not.
Interesting times ahead for GPS. I wonder what other clubs will have a changing of the guard in their coaching ranks next year. Jets is Seiby safe? He hasn't delivered a premiership since Nowlan left at end of 2011.
In other news can confirm Melbourne Rebels assistant and Rising head coach Sean Hedger has been confirmed as Bond Uni director of rugby for 2015. Wonder if this will help recruitment.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good to hear. I reckon Bond will be deadly (excuse the implicit pun) in the future (maybe 4 or 5 years). I just hope they can build on what they've currently got and get back to the early-mid 2000s success.

As long as they don't beat Brothers, all that matters!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting times ahead for GPS. I wonder what other clubs will have a changing of the guard in their coaching ranks next year. Jets is Seiby safe? He hasn't delivered a premiership since Nowlan left at end of 2011.
In other news can confirm Melbourne Rebels assistant and Rising head coach Sean Hedger has been confirmed as Bond Uni director of rugby for 2015. Wonder if this will help recruitment.
Sorry Crusher. Sunnybank only get rid of coaches after they win a premiership.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to hear. I reckon Bond will be deadly (excuse the implicit pun) in the future (maybe 4 or 5 years). I just hope they can build on what they've currently got and get back to the early-mid 2000s success.

As long as they don't beat Brothers, all that matters!

Still a bit of work to do Filth before they are competitive with the Filth on a consistent basis. I recall a game back in 2012 where they lead the Filth until the last play of the game but they haven't been close since.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry Crusher. Sunnybank only get rid of coaches after they win a premiership.

Hahaha fair point Jets. I understand Sunnybank wined and dined some of Qld's upcoming prospective colts recently as part of its recruitment drive. The dust has barely settled on this season and good to see the Dragons are already heavily recruiting for next season. A lesson for all.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it's interesting that a guy would leave a professional team to be Director of Rugby at a Premier Club. I guess Bond have big plans for their rugby program which is great. Also the travel would be better at a Premier level if you had a family.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it's interesting that a guy would leave a professional team to be Director of Rugby at a Premier Club. I guess Bond have big plans for their rugby program which is great. Also the travel would be better at a Premier level if you had a family.

Agreed Jets, i would have thought that dropping to a Premier gig would have been a step backwards for a career coach unless money and family obligations were the priority. I couldn't imagine a super assistant coach earning the sort of money he will in the Bond gig but then I am blissfully unaware as to what coaches earn at that level. Not sure how the rest of the bond coaching group will feel about being volunteers while working alongside someone who is getting paid in their role.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Most of the volunteer coaches feel they are on a pathway to better things. The head coach role is a carrot for them to aspire to, not something that they should begrudge.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Crusher - obviously they are working for the greater good and pure satisfaction - how good is that ?

Agree with your point Scrubber, hope for the sake of the club it is maintained. There is a good group trying their best with the cattle they have

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Most of the volunteer coaches feel they are on a pathway to better things. The head coach role is a carrot for them to aspire to, not something that they should begrudge.

Very true Jets and the benefits the coaches will gain from working with someone of Hedger's experience will be phenomenal

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with your point Scrubber, hope for the sake of the club it is maintained. There is a good group trying their best with the cattle they have

Rugby clubs, Junior and Senior survive because of the dedicated and generally unpaid work of supporters, both Mums and Dads. Rugby tribalism starts here and people doing the shitty jobs are often not quite appreciated enough.

Bond Uni Rugby will become a real force over the next 5 years

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
nothing confirmed but some gps coaches names have popped up in reference to these other roles. Im very intrigued as to who will take the reigns at yoku road now. If it was to be Cockbain, there must be some massive incentive for him to leave his post at the rebels (aside from returning home to brisbane)

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
nothing confirmed but some gps coaches names have popped up in reference to these other roles. Im very intrigued as to who will take the reigns at yoku road now. If it was to be Cockbain, there must be some massive incentive for him to leave his post at the rebels (aside from returning home to brisbane)

I wonder how this would impact the Rebels if it were to be the case with both Cockbain and Hedger potentially both relinquishing their respective roles at the Rebels. Big gaps for Tony Maghan to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.