• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
All good rugby follower, I didn't take it the wrong way, I have pretty thick skin after my long battle with Tigers Tale on this forum. Haha

Todd Dammers would be an enormous signing for GPS. Same with Picone and Tiquiri going to Souths. Bros are sticking with Matho I think, which is good.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
All good rugby follower, I didn't take it the wrong way, I have pretty thick skin after my long battle with Tigers Tale on this forum. Haha

Todd Dammers would be an enormous signing for GPS. Same with Picone and Tiquiri going to Souths. Bros are sticking with Matho I think, which is good.

Looks like the ink is drying on these appointments & recruitment/ retention is well underway. Be interested to know who's on the short list for the Norths gig?

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Looks like the ink is drying on these appointments & recruitment/ retention is well underway. Be interested to know who's on the short list for the Norths gig?

To be honest I have no idea who is on the short list. There needs to be serious change for Norths to continue their rebuilding program. Colts are looking good for next year with the U17 just making the U17 Div 1 GF. However a good colts program is a mile away from having a competitive Prem Grade team. I suspect 2015 will continue to be dark days for the Prem team. Perhaps my idea of the Reds draft needs to be implemented ASAP for Norths to have any sort of profile.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be honest I have no idea who is on the short list. There needs to be serious change for Norths to continue their rebuilding program. Colts are looking good for next year with the U17 just making the U17 Div 1 GF. However a good colts program is a mile away from having a competitive Prem Grade team. I suspect 2015 will continue to be dark days for the Prem team. Perhaps my idea of the Reds draft needs to be implemented ASAP for Norths to have any sort of profile.

Profile isn't just about top level though Rugby Follower, I don't think a Reds draft is the answer to Norths problems in the long term. A strong grades recruiting drive is needed and probably needs to be happening now. It helps that Norths won Brisbane 2nd Grade with the 'super team' to give them something to build on, however, I've heard whispers that the Norths culture (or lack there of) may be pushing a fair chunk of those blokes back to GPS which is something you'd want to stop ASAP.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Heard that dammers/miles (ex nudgee backs coach) is virtually a done deal at GPS likewise with picone at souths, apparently souths chasing Shane Arnold as well.

What will happen to drahm and broad ?? Drahm is aligned with picone so maybe he may get the backs gig at his former club?

Both quality coaches who a club like norths could benefit from? Hopefully for norths sake theyve got a quality head coach as this seasons head coach was not a popular man amongst the playing group from all reports.

Look for dammers to attempt to lure oconnor to you road as he coached him at nudgee. Drahm has brought a lot of the young nudgee talent to GPS recently (Tuttle magnay etc). A lot of guys caught between loyalties to picone as their manager and drahm or dammers as their ex school coach. Interesting times ahead

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are some worries down at Yoku regarding the Picone to Souths situation as I mentioned earlier but I don't believe anything will eventuate. If we're talking the specific cases of Tuttle and Magnay, both of them have played Premier Grade at GPS as first year colts and both are now with QLD Country NRC, therefore they are playing in the teams they want to be in. Not much a carrot for them to go to another club as they already have their desired exposure.

Also doubt Shane Arnold will coach a Premier team in Brisbane for 2015. Could be wrong but I think you'll find all his coaching gigs will be at representative level now.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Any update on the GPS & Norths coaching roles? I believe Tim Sampson will head up Easts in 2015.

Any other movement?

This is the first I've heard of Sambo taking over the reigns from Pat Richards next year. Where has this info come from Breakdown? Tiger Tale, as the man in the know at Tigerland can you confirm?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The backlash from the club not making the finals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the big Nudgee (Seniors 2014) contingent will go to Brothers instead of GPS next year. Mainly due to our success in Premier Colts and GPS performance declining towards the end of the season.

However, in Premier Grade I think your mob is looking good next year, TBD.

GPS, Bank and Uni are the three teams I think will be successful in 2015.

Unless Brothers recruit well in the off-season, I think we'll be on par with Easts and Souths.

I'm picking Brothers to peak in 2016/17 when our Premier Colts of 2013/14 get more Premier Grade experience. Giles Beveridge, Jack Payne, Mosese and Hartley are examples are of this.

I think our current Premier Grade team is very good, but as Easts, Uni and Bank supporters would know, it takes a few years for things to fall into place.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm picking Brothers to peak in 2016/17 when our Premier Colts of 2013/14 get more Premier Grade experience. Giles Beveridge, Jack Payne, Mosese and Hartley are examples are of this.

I think our current Premier Grade team is very good, but as Easts, Uni and Bank supporters would know, it takes a few years for things to fall into place.

Filth, with players like Beauchamp, Freney and Damon Murphy hitting their peaks (mid-late twenties) I think you're on track for a pretty decent run in 2015 and possibly 2016. Probably need Greene to really step up though and control the game. Unsure if he's fallen out of favor with the QRU but for someone with lots of hype hopefully hes in the middle of a big off-season and comes back with something to prove.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The following Premier Grade coaching structure for 2015 has just been announced at Souths.
Head Coach: Brett Picone
Forwards Coach: Van Humphries
Backs Coach: Elia Tuqiri
Strength & Conditioning: Matthew Thornton
Director of Rugby and Coaching: Michael Broad.

Interesting developments at the Nest!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, Picone is a good coach. If he can bring some quality players with him, then I think Souths could cause a few upsets. I can't predict Souths as a club, sometimes they're ordinary other times they're outstanding.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was talking to a couple of GPS boys who said they were approached to move to Souths. Both couldn't see the point as they would have to drive across town to train and really enjoyed the atmosphere at GPS.

I guess club culture will have an effect on players moving.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I assume that in order to be a 'Premier Grade club' that means the club must field Premier Grade, Premier Reserve and Premier Colts team, correct?

That seems like a mighty jump for a club to take after their first year of really putting themselves back on the map. For example Logan only had one colts team this year and they played in Colts 2. They managed to get the minor premiership and made the grand final (lost to a strong uni team) but to ask some of those players to take the step up straight to Prem Colts is a big task.

The reason I use that example and keep in mind I have no knowledge of the Logan setup so apologies if members of that club disagree, but, wouldn't it be better to keep building on this years success in a smaller step, so maybe move the boys up to Colts 1 for 2015 (thus making them a non-Premier club still) but not giving them such a massive leap. Have another year of building numbers and depth etc.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Colts isn't the issue if its was than arguably wests and norths shouldn't be premier clubs as there prem colts could be beaten by some clubs colts 1 sides.

You also need to consider that if they become Premier club, some of those players that travel down M1 to Gold Coast or up to a brisbane club so they can have premier level footy will instead decide to play closer to home. It's already happened this year with your very own former Premier winger Matt Garland deciding to play down at Logan.

Regardless of whether you lift them up grades slowly or put them in next year there will always be an adjustment period.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Congratulations to Logan for their Premiership in 1st grade but it only came because their strongest team dropped down a grade this year. I don't believe this was the way to progress their case for entrance to Premier Grade.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Surely if the QRU are serious about making their competition more competitive they would push new recruits to some of the weaker sides rather than playing for Uni or the Bank. Hunt lives on the coast so surely he will link up with Bond. How about O'Connor playing for Wests or Norths, however thinking about the previous behaviour of the boy maybe the Filth will be the perfect fit.

Why so bitter Rugby Follower? Suggest you stop begrudging successful clubs & schools.

Rugby Follower does have a valid point here. Not in the bitterness dept towards the Filth, but rather where newly contracted REDS end up aligning and the flow on effect it will have with interest in the NRC.

Having Karmichael Hunt who has no connection to any Brisbane Rugby club and ultimately being aligned with Norths helps get Norths parents & kids thru the gate at Ballymore for the NRC competition... This is not to take away anything from the powerhouse Colts programs of UQ, GPS, Sunnybank which will continue to supply the majority of stars for the QLD NRC teams.

but to have a newly signed recruit (such as Hunt) who is outsider to Brisbane club rugby choosing a team which could have positive outcome for interests across the whole of the Brisbane club rugby scene.

I can tell you I have absolutely no interest in going to any of the NRC competition games because there is no Wests players to cheer for. (Genia is injured)

I assume Rugby Followers has some similar sentiment with his interest in this comp and how it could be more interesting for him had he had someone from the Eagles out there to cheer for.

The days of club rugby being the showcase of tomorrows stars is over.
NRC is now the competition for tomorrows stars.
Club rugby will simply wither away to tribal battlegrounds and a stepping stone to the stepping stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.