• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

There are some worries down at Yoku regarding the Picone to Souths situation as I mentioned earlier but I don't believe anything will eventuate. If we're talking the specific cases of Tuttle and Magnay, both of them have played Premier Grade at GPS as first year colts and both are now with QLD Country NRC, therefore they are playing in the teams they want to be in. Not much a carrot for them to go to another club as they already have their desired exposure.

Also doubt Shane Arnold will coach a Premier team in Brisbane for 2015. Could be wrong but I think you'll find all his coaching gigs will be at representative level now.

Why has Arnold risen to such levels when he has not coached a premiership winning Prem side yet Heenan(2 or 3 perms in 5 years) & Richards (2 in 5/6 years) don't get a look in for plum rep jobs (NRC aside)?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT couldn't tell you exactly why to be honest. Might have something to do with the fact that Arnold has been involved with the QRU/ARU for quite a number of years, from way back in the NTS (National Talent Squad) as a skills coach and has progressed from there with perks of being in the system etc. He did have success with Premier Colts at GPS which I guess would be considered a decent achievement.

He is also a very likable bloke and still only young which probably makes him a good candidate to put into these assistant gigs to keep learning.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
From my limited experiences with him, Shane Arnold is a very good coach. Much better then his record at prems level shows.
Same could be said of Richards who has only made the finals once in 5 years. (Just stirring TT)
As for Heenan he doesn't have the time with his real job.

T

Tigers Tale

TT couldn't tell you exactly why to be honest. Might have something to do with the fact that Arnold has been involved with the QRU/ARU for quite a number of years, from way back in the NTS (National Talent Squad) as a skills coach and has progressed from there with perks of being in the system etc. He did have success with Premier Colts at GPS which I guess would be considered a decent achievement.

He is also a very likable bloke and still only young which probably makes him a good candidate to put into these assistant gigs to keep learning.

Look from all accounts Arnold is a good coach and good luck to him but Sambo is a good backs coach as well.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd be fairly surprised if Kuridrani ended up at Souths, hes been a part of GPS for 4 or 5 years and seems to be enjoy it. Johnson on the other hand I believe has only spent one season at Yoku so the ties probably aren't as deep.

It is a shame though that a players managers interests can interfere with club selection. Surely a high profile manager such as Picone being given a Premier coaching role creates some type of conflict of interest. And for the record I did bring this up on these forums over the years he was coaching at GPS, I thought some of his dealings with selections and convincing players to sign up weren't ideal.

Its been beneficial for GPS in the past getting some of the high profile schoolboy players down to the club but it would be a shame if now Picone's influence ends up gutting a club of established players. There is a difference between players following a coach whom they respect in comparison to listening to their managers requests to help supercharge his new club.

I hope the culture down at GPS keeps most of the boys at the club, not just in regards to this but also with the apparent appointment of Fogarty at Norths. It can be hard though when the person who is supposed to be helping build and guide your career is telling you one thing and you want to do another.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Completely agree TBD, I would be very surprised to see Kuridrani leave but SJ potentially. "Panther" has very good ties and good mates within the club. SJ has only recently joined from the Titans 20s and perhaps doesnt have as strong ties. I would be pretty disappointed to see either boys leave as they are both great assets to GPS.

Many of the Prem Reserves playing under Fogs are entrenched in the GPS culture and I would be very surprised to see many go regardless of the good relationship Fogs has had with them.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
It must be a tough crowd down at Yoku?!?!

The coaching turnstile over the last 5 years....

Heenan - ex Prems, now to Uni and has won multiple Premierships
Pini - ex Prems
Mathison - ex Prems, won Premiership with Uni, now to Brothers
Arnold - ex Prems, now to Aust U/20's, NRC
Picone - ex Prems, now to Souths
Tuqiri - ex Prems, now to Souths
Arnold - ex Reggies
Fogarty - ex Reggies and wins multiple Premierships, now to Norths
McMullen - ex Reggies and wins multiple Premierships
Drahm - ex Reggies and wins Premiership?
Kite - ex Reggies and now to Souths?
Beauchamp - ex 1st, then takes kid to Brothers
Mills - ex 1st, then to Wests Prem Colts
Smith - ex 1st, wins Premiership, now at Uni
Mills - ex 1st, wins Premiership, now at Uni
Tuka - ex 1st, wins Premiership, now at Souths
Ieti - ex 1st, wins Premiership, now at Souths
Taylor - ex 2nd, wins Premiership at Norths
Cronin - ex 5th, wins Premiership at Norths
Carthew - ex 3rd, wins Premiership
Moore - ex 3rd, wins Premiership, now at Wests
Sully - ex Prem Colts and labelled as "better than Genia"
Vautin - ex Prem Colts, now Qld Under Age

and I am positive that there are a few more names that have come and gone too!!

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It must be a tough crowd down at Yoku?!?!

The coaching turnstile over the last 5 years..

I think you would have a very strong argument that GPS are the biggest under performers in the comp. Especially at Prem grade, year in year out top 4-5, can never get over the hurdle.

The have resources and good management (it seems), where as the other 1-2 under performing clubs push the ethical and legal boundaries in their management methods.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I feel sorry for staunch GPS supporters like BD, Jper, RR and co, but on the other hand I can't help but feeling quite pleased for Souths and more importantly, the competition (If Kerevi and co do leave Yoku Rd)

This would leave; University, Sunnybank, GPS, Brothers, Souths, Easts and Bond (few years time) all pushing for a finals spot. I think this is a really positive sign for Qld Rugby.

Now, with that being said, I think those 4 new Reds recruits should go to Bond, Wests and Norths coming to think of it. Yes, I would love to see JOC (James O'Connor) back at his junior club, but I think Norths or Wests need him more.

Plenty of speculation above, but you never know what might eventuate.

Premrug

Frank Row (1)
I'd be fairly surprised if Kuridrani ended up at Souths, hes been a part of GPS for 4 or 5 years and seems to be enjoy it. Johnson on the other hand I believe has only spent one season at Yoku so the ties probably aren't as deep.

It is a shame though that a players managers interests can interfere with club selection. Surely a high profile manager such as Picone being given a Premier coaching role creates some type of conflict of interest. And for the record I did bring this up on these forums over the years he was coaching at GPS, I thought some of his dealings with selections and convincing players to sign up weren't ideal.

Its been beneficial for GPS in the past getting some of the high profile schoolboy players down to the club but it would be a shame if now Picone's influence ends up gutting a club of established players. There is a difference between players following a coach whom they respect in comparison to listening to their managers requests to help supercharge his new club.

I hope the culture down at GPS keeps most of the boys at the club, not just in regards to this but also with the apparent appointment of Fogarty at Norths. It can be hard though when the person who is supposed to be helping build and guide your career is telling you one thing and you want to do another.

The big dog I have been watching your posts for 2 seasons and are always intrigued by sources, being very close to people you post about and players you talk about and wonder how accurate your sources? Being close to Picone I have dealt with him for several years in which he has coached premier grade and know he would not risk a players career to win a few games of rugby! Some of the players you talk about leaving are not from my sources even managed by him! These colts you talk about of the 5 he has told me 2 are under him? I understand how you can see a conflict if every player he managed played for the club Picone coached! He has told me how hard it was losing a grand final to easts with 7 of his players in the easts team! In this years GF 15 players from both sides are managed by him? I know a spread of talent he would embrace so more players get exposure to top levels. I know he loved his time at keeps but has become worried about the direction of the club as am I. I am only posting this because I understand he does not read these threads due to the inaccuracy of information, all hats off to Souths for wanting to develop. Don't underestimate how disappointed aspects of the playing group are about fogs!! That's of a bigger concern for the club.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think you would have a very strong argument that GPS are the biggest under performers in the comp. Especially at Prem grade, year in year out top 4-5, can never get over the hurdle.

The have resources and good management (it seems), where as the other 1-2 under performing clubs push the ethical and legal boundaries in their management methods.

Care to expand on this thinker?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Premrug, I only post about what I've heard and people I've spoken to. If these boards were all 100% accurate they'd be on the Reds Rugby website. Of course there is some speculation in everything and I'm not having a dig at Picone, I've had many personal dealings with him over the last couple of years. It sounds like you know more of the specific details than I do but that doesn't necessarily reflect the general feeling of other players and supporters.

I do know first hand though in some of the issues surrounding his players at the club this season etc and simply brought that to light with how it may occur with bringing players to Souths.

Status
Not open for further replies.