• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyScholar

Frank Row (1)
I have heard rumours that Shane Arnold has been recruiting players (not just from GPS but across all clubs) to join Souths in 2015. No word on whether he has an actual coaching role at the club and he may just be doing this to help out Picone.

I think clubs should be very scared of Souths in 2015, not just in Prems but across all grades. Had a quick glance at their facebook page and it looks like whole club pre-season has been in full swing for a while now and they are getting serious. With some good recruitment it may be the year of the magpie soon.

T

Tigers Tale

I have heard rumours that Shane Arnold has been recruiting players (not just from GPS but across all clubs) to join Souths in 2015. No word on whether he has an actual coaching role at the club and he may just be doing this to help out Picone.

This is very interesting from a GPS perspective I thought Shane Arnold was suppose to be the quintessential GPS lad who was only leaving GPS to broaden his coaching ambitions - sounds more like the Mick Heenan tale repeating itself - i.e. GPS stalwart told that they are not wanted.

Maybe the Reserve Grade coach who has gone to Norths was faced with the same?

Big Dog can you add to this - yeh or nay???

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't really have much more insight into Shane's movements unfortunately. By all accounts his 'exit speech' at the GPS end of year dinner never mentioned moving onto another QLD Premier Club, while on the flip side it was common knowledge that Buzz was leaving to Souths.

I'd be very surprised if the club asked Shane to move on though, he has been an integral part of the setup there as a player and coach for a long time and despite not winning the big one, his time with Prem Colts team and then Prem Grade were by far the most fruitful in recent years. Stranger things have happened though.

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks for the frankness Big Dog - but I just don't follow what's going down at Yoku Rd it doesn't make sense to me.

I hope Dammers has "the full support of the board" or he could be on the move at the end of 2015 as well if the Hospital Cup doesn't come back to Yoku Rd!!

But sounds like there is more reason for a Tiger/Galloper to dislike a Magpie in 2015!! Let's hope that they don't become the "Mercenary" Magpies!!!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Heenan is not really a gps stalwart like Arnold. He actually played his club rugby at uni so he was pretty keen to come back to the club when the opportunity arose 6 or so years ago. I think he has now coached more years at uni than gps
He is very similar to Arnold in the fact he won a colts premiership and got pretty close a couple of times in the top grade with no no dice while at gps.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Purely my own opinion but I would say Arnold chose to leave GPS on his own and rather than put up a fight, the committee probably saw this as a good opportunity to start fresh with a neutral coach, hence why no one from inside the club (namely Fogarty) got appointed.

The club has definitely started leaning towards a more professional and businesslike approach over the last couple of years, whether the results show is yet to be seen. Bringing Dammers in though means some of the favoritism will fall through and the absolute best team should take the paddock each week. Thats not to say Arnold was just picking his mates but rather some of those 50/50 selection calls may go to the other player now who was always second fiddle. Will be interesting to see what happens.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
About 10+ years ago, the Souths fixture at Chipsy Wood was the biggest test in the regular season. Souths were very strong across all grades, and then having the likes of Kefu and whoever in first grade made it tough winning.

I personally think Sunnybank's rise has really hindered Souths success greatly. Sunnybank attract a large Polynesian following, which initially was associated with Souths - a very large Tongan playing group.

Another reason is due to Souths perhaps not having a strong school connection. Easts is right near Churchie. GPS - Marist College Ashgrove. Brothers - GT, BGS, NC - (don't start, TT). Wests (GT and BBC).

Souths originally had students from St Laurences' venture down from South Brisbane (suburb) regularly to Annerley. However, I'm not too familiar with school boy rugby, but I've heard SLC have struggled lately.

I'm not bagging Souths, I know they're a good club, but those are a few things I've observed.

I know Souths have trained the hardest this pre-season by far. So I concur with RS....what this space.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mind you, Souths along with GPS and University have performed greatly across the grades of late. I personally think if they want to go better in Premier Grade, they need to retain players and keep building, which I'm sure Picone will do.

T

Tigers Tale

Another reason is due to Souths perhaps not having a strong school connection. Easts is right near Churchie. GPS - Marist College Ashgrove. Brothers - GT, BGS, NC - (don't start, TT). Wests (GT and BBC).

Souths originally had students from St Laurences' venture down from South Brisbane (suburb) regularly to Annerley. However, I'm not too familiar with school boy rugby, but I've heard SLC have struggled lately.

Filth I never start anything!!!

Easts draw also from Iona, Villa, Lauries & the bayside suburbs.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth there were a few GT OBs in the Easts Prems in 2013 - Bertini, Randell, Ready, Mullins, White.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's an interesting one, TT.

Only a few years ago, plenty of GT players went to Wests as juniors and then onto seniors. A lot came to Brothers when Crofty was at his peak and also due to Ben McCormack doing a great job with the colts.

Personally I think Brothers have suffered greatly due to Marist players going to GPS. Apart from Eales, McKibbin and McCall, plenty have been lost to those Gallopers. Mind you, Brothers juniors is apparently full of BGS kids, so Brisbane Rugby has become very interesting compared to years gone by.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
This is very interesting from a GPS perspective I thought Shane Arnold was suppose to be the quaint essential GPS lad who was only leaving GPS to broaden his coaching ambitions - sounds more like the Mick Heenan tale repeating itself - i.e. GPS stalwart told that they are not wanted.

Maybe the Reserve Grade coach who has gone to Norths was faced with the same?

Big Dog can you add to this - yeh or nay???

"quintessential" ???

T

Tigers Tale

Hey Filth - I think you are right with the Marist Brothers call - Moon, Mills, etc we all great for Brothers in their day.

But which McCall are you referring to as Rod went to St Columban's and Jason (aka Rupert) went to De La Salle.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
But which McCall are you referring to as Rod went to St Columban's and Jason (aka Rupert) went to De La Salle.

St Columban's isnt a school name I've seen pop up for a while. They had a couple years of decent rugby players if I remember? Most of them went to Brothers to play.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, I think you've mentioned once before how Brothers have gone soft, compared to previous years. This isn't true, but let's say, a more conscientious decision to abide by rules has been adopted. If Brothers carried on previous traits nowadays, they would finish the game with about 9 players.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - sadly the game has changed!!

Who would have thought a lock being sent off in a grand final for slapping a fullback with attitude???

My history of St Columban's rugby stars is not extensive maybe someone can help me out here?

Beyond Rod McCall and the Nightingale brothers I have nothing? I am sure there are many others, they caused plenty an upset in the old TAS days down at Banyo (which are now Padua's playing fields).

T

TOCC

Sunnybank Rugby to get a $10million Performing Arts Centre
1418179055150.jpg

Funded by the BCC, the project will designed, built and managed by Sunnybank Rugby, the project will form part of the existing clubhouse.
Part of the plan also includes an artificial turf training area.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-in-macgregor-by-mid2016-20141209-123v0b.html

T

Tigers Tale

Does anyone have an intel on how Bond are shaping up for 2015?

I think the road trip to the GC will be more challenging in 2015.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hey all,

On a completely random note. I am looking I to starting up my own 7s team for competitions in 2015. Would someone be able to tell me all the comps in brisbane and a rough idea of team entry fees for all the comps, just so I'd know how much to try and gain in sponsorship money, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.