• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Dyson that is laughable - the Refs (I say that as a group) clearly have no idea - so we will just have to learn to cope with it but decisions like this can change the whole context of the game.

What do we do? - we get these guys until the Hoff & Matt O'Brien come back.

Now Matt O'Brien he's a master of making his own rules up at scrum time!!!

If you think the Refs at Premier grade are useless spare a though for the 1st/2nd grade coach or player!!!

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Dyson - That's great news about the Wests Scrum - Is Evan Willis still working with the set piece at wests?

As for the video - scrums are always tough and an issue of much debate - In my opinion - That is the correct call. In fact the second reset could have easily been a penalty for collapsing - Have a look at the angle of the Wests Props elbow after the engagement - It is pointing directly at the ground - the scrum collapses directly through the line of his elbow.

As for the third re set - Sunnybank clearly dominated that scrum after wests stop there push and collapse the scrum.

relates to laws 22.8(g)(h) to be anal.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the above video I couldn't really see it warranting a penalty to Sunnybank but also don't think the collapse was due to pressure coming through from Wests.

Again as Swansong says its always up to debate but it looked more like an unstable platform rather than the work of a dominant scrum. Without seeing footage of the whole game then I believe that should have just been another reset but obviously the ref wanted to get on with it.

One of the main contributors to slipping scrums are the stupid boots front rowers decide to wear these days. I actually heard on the weekend that one of the GPS Prem props was told to change his boots mid-game to proper metal tags rather than the moulded ones made for wingers. Why a front rower would bother wearing them baffles me and I think its a must for anyone playing in the front row above 1st grade to have proper forwards boots.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can understand the appeal of the moulded boots and on some of the drier fields around Brisbane the metal tags can be a prick to run in. But I just don't understand why blokes playing at a semi-professional level with 700kg+ of force coming at them can't see the value in getting proper footwear!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Totally correct.

Brothers in the ol' days used to always wear very long tags. Though, I think most of that was for 'rucking purposes'. TT could attest to this.

Personally, I think it should be compulsory for front rowers to wear metal tags for health and safety purposes. One collapsed scrum is all it takes to really injure someone. Precautions need to be taken to limit the risks involved.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth you guys were the best in the business back in the good old days when people used their feet in a ruck and you would come off with a torso covered in ruck marks as a badge of honour, I think it was in the 70s/80s when Brothers earned their nickname - "The Filth"

T

Tigers Tale

Just crazy that tight 5 forwards wear moulded soles but a hell of a lot of the guys playing QPR choose to where moulded soles!!!

Maybe Moorey's 29 penalties on the Saturday was a penalty for every player who took the field wearing moulded soles. Sorry I said no MOORE!!!

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Just crazy that tight 5 forwards wear moulded soles but a hell of a lot of the guys playing QPR choose to where moulded soles!!!

Maybe Moorey's 29 penalties on the Saturday was a penalty for every player who took the field wearing moulded soles. Sorry I said no MOORE!!!

You are a broken record - dead boring.
Why don't you look at why Easts have been pissweak for years rather than your usual ref bashing.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
In relation to the Wests Scrum I believe there is a young Irish guy and former Wallaby prop Andrew Heath doing the scrum at the Kennel...very impressive last week against Brothers(after the filth had given Uni a touch up the week before).
The call from the ref is not correct and the integrity of the scrum is not held intact by elbows as per the above explanation(you can get a short punch bind and be in a perfect spot at LH)...look how "long" the Sunnybank tighthead gets...that is why he hinges. The real giveaway on it is how he lands...feet back, face first so he is overextending and not in a pushing position so once Wests reset their feet he just literally folds and drops as all his weight is on his toes(his legs are dead straight also if you want another indicator).

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Your explanation there is very good from a props 'technique' point of view NCWK - but doesn't apply to any laws of the scrum engagement (i.e. a propr cant land on his face with his feet back)... Hence why the penalty was given..

T

Tigers Tale

As polite as ever Refabit.

Let me just give you a balance response to your comment:

"Easts pissweak for years" - they have won more premierships (4) than any other club in the last 20 years dating back to 1995, if that is "pissweak" then I'll take it any day.

Canberra, Souths, Sunnybank & Uni have all won 3 over the same period.

Other clubs to have won 1 premiership in that period are: GPS, Gold Coast, Wests & Brothers

Maybe your assessment of success is flawed much like someone else's decision making process!!!

With respect Refabit - the efforts of the Referee and the Assistant Referees at Bottomley last Saturday was not good, and if you officiate at QPR level you should be accountable for your performance and have the ability to apply the laws of the game - that was not evident on Saturday I am sorry.

I make these comments from the perspective of a fan of a winning side not as a fan who was disgruntled with the result of the game.

All I'm asking is that the Referees implement the laws of the game to the best of their ability and ensure that their decision making doesn't determine the game.

I want to see running rugby - I don't want games determined by the lottery of scrum penalties - again sorry if I am asking for too much.

Granted the laws of the game in general and in particular around the scrum are an arse and this is not just an issue for QPR but for the game in general.

Above all else - I want to see the players resolve who the top 4 clubs are and not for the decision making to inhibit a clubs chances of making the top 4 and that goes for Easts or any other club in the competition.

My comments are not intended as Ref bashing but my motivation is that I want to see QPR be the best club competition in Australia and it will never get there whilst Referees are more focussed on the Law book and how many penalties they can award than refereeing the spirit of the game.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Swansong stop the video one second after engagement and look where the ball is..in the 9's hands, Sunnybank are already trying to push off the mark(free kick) and the tight head has completely overextended. The only binding issue here is that the Sunnybank tighthead is on the back of the arm of the Wests LH...illegal, ends up on his knees, illegal...nothing to do with the engagement process as the ball is already in when he gives the penalty.
Who knows how any of the calls were arrived at in the scrum in that game, I was there and it was difficult to watch the incorrect calls being made....and I was neutral at the game...

T

Tigers Tale

Swansong - what you have just said seems to go against the laws of physics and anatomy - maybe that's the problem with the scrum laws i.e. they are impossible!!!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Whole host of reds back this week

Banks, gale, chib, dules and sef all released at this stage for Uni

Johnson, taps, gunn, Murday, ready, paraka and the Tongan Thor for their clubs as well.

Might be a few "niggles" pop up between now and Saturday though.

Simon Smale

Frank Row (1)
Whole host of reds back this week

Banks, gale, chib, dules and sef all released at this stage for Uni

Johnson, taps, gunn, Murday, ready, paraka and the Tongan Thor for their clubs as well.

Might be a few "niggles" pop up between now and Saturday though.

Tupoui (Thor) played for Brothers on Friday night too so I guess it's no surprise he is available this weekend - I understand he was training with the Reds in the pre-season, is that relationship ongoing or is he with Brothers "permanently" for this season?

And ye, plenty of time for a slight strain in the meantime before this weekend...

El cabon

Frank Row (1)
In relation to the Wests Scrum I believe there is a young Irish guy and former Wallaby prop Andrew Heath doing the scrum at the Kennel.very impressive last week against Brothers(after the filth had given Uni a touch up the week before).
The call from the ref is not correct and the integrity of the scrum is not held intact by elbows as per the above explanation(you can get a short punch bind and be in a perfect spot at LH).look how "long" the Sunnybank tighthead gets.that is why he hinges. The real giveaway on it is how he lands.feet back, face first so he is overextending and not in a pushing position so once Wests reset their feet he just literally folds and drops as all his weight is on his toes(his legs are dead straight also if you want another indicator).

Status
Not open for further replies.