• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
So I hear Damon Emtage is the Assistant Coach of GPS this year? (could someone clarify please)
And who was the No. 1 playing for Brothers against Sunnybank? A red head guy, not Michael Bermingham was it? (once a Easts player)
Dammers and Emtage are good mates. TD helped out at BGS last year too. Reckon Emtage is the best thing for GPS. Can't see TD delivering them a premiership any time soon.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So I hear Damon Emtage is the Assistant Coach of GPS this year? (could someone clarify please)
And who was the No. 1 playing for Brothers against Sunnybank? A red head guy, not Michael Bermingham was it? (once a Easts player)

Yes it is one in the same. I think Brothers will be a good place for Bermo in terms of coaching, although he seems like a good bloke so may not fit in with the culture.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was a tough day for GPS out at UQ on the weekend. I don't believe a single team won a game. The guys at St Lucia across all grades looked like a well oiled machine. Kudos to their coaching staff and players for getting themselves into such good positions early in the season.

swillo5

Bob McCowan (2)
It was a tough day for GPS out at UQ on the weekend. I don't believe a single team won a game. The guys at St Lucia across all grades looked like a well oiled machine. Kudos to their coaching staff and players for getting themselves into such good positions early in the season.

Seems like GPS arent as strong across the grades and colts as in previous years. Early season I know but GPS usually come out firing and have at least the lower few grades (and reserves) undefeated 5-6 rounds in. Is that fair comment and if so is it because of generational change?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find GPS had the same stock of blokes playing at the club for about 4-5 years and in that time won their fair share of Premierships from Reggies down to 4th grades. A few of those guys stopped playing last year and then another couple this year. Colts have been on the weaker side for a few years though.

I know GPS managed to get a 4th grade side together for the weekend which didn't look likely during the pre-season. I think you'll still see some of the lower grade teams make a decent crack at the Premiership this year but the quality of players seems to thin out once you start hitting 1st Grade and Prem Reserve.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
I cannot seem to find where the Doughty Shield points are, so I got the abacus out...

University - 100
Sunnybank - 93
Brothers - 53
Easts - 49
Souths - 44
Norths - 42
Wests - 23
GPS - 23

Only included teams that compete across most or all teams for calculation purposes.

T

Tigers Tale

Try to say something vaguely constructive rather than just shit-can the ref, who is doing an unenviable job for not a lot of financial reward. This is pretty much playing the man, and we don't go for that here. Be careful.

Cyclopath maybe you would change your opinion if they flew Simon Moore down to Sydney to referee a Sydney Uni game.

T

Tigers Tale

I believe it is in fact Bermo - good guy Bermo Filth lucky to have him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclopath maybe you would change your opinion if they flew Simon Moore down to Sydney to referee a Sydney Uni game.
I doubt it. Refs do a tough job for not much, and don't deserve that sort of stuff. We all shout when our team gets a bad call, but it's a human aspect of the game. By all means question a decision in a considered way, but playing the man like that is not on.

GPSGPSGPS

Frank Nicholson (4)
I see players and Coaches getting called out in these forums all the time so why should a referee not be called out if he is in the wrong. Anyone who has witnessed first hand the way Moore controls games will understand where this is coming from. Speaking down to players does not gain their respect and blowing 29 penalties and awarding 5 yellow cards in a game does not gain the respect of the Spectators.

You must be a referee or something? I am all for showing respect to officials as they are a very important part of the game however the respect needs to be mutual and in this blokes case it is not.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
swillo5; I think that your numbers do not include 4th Grade. It is my understanding that points in 4th Grade do in fact count towards Doughty Shield.

I am happy to be corrected, of course!!

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Cyclopath,

I agree with you in the sense that refs do a tough job and I spent several years working as a ref trainer and coach in NSW before the move to god's country - so you won't find a better advocate than myself for trying to support referees. Simon Moore on the other hand is a tough biscuit to chew. GPSGPSGPS basically sums it up perfectly - 29 penalties, a lot of which were against the attacking side. (one particular instance was the GPS 'obstruction' penalty which involved a player not even related to the attack.

He has been around for a good while and let me tell you that this criticism certainly isn't a one off.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
So, with my understanding that points from 4th Grade are included in the Doughty Shield calculations, I stand by my abacus and fingers...

University - 100
Sunnybank - 93
Brothers - 53
Easts - 49
Souths - 44
Norths - 42
Bond - 37
Wests - 23
GPS - 23
Logan - -3

However, if our learned colleague swillo5 is correct and 4th Grade is not included in the calculations, then the following table is the actual Doughty

University - 95
Sunnybank - 93
Brothers - 48
Easts - 44
Souths - 44
Norths - 42
Bond - 42
Wests - 23
GPS - 23
Logan - -3

The Doughty Shield is awarded annually to the champion Brisbane club, based on competition points won across all participating teams.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The thing is, in regards to refs, there aren't many options. It's a time consuming job and involves a lot of work. A lot of resources are put into some of these guys so unless there is a group of new guys putting pressure on the current group nothing will change.

I know Sunnybank have a referee program and more clubs should look at it, the larger junior clubs especially.

My son is playing soccer this year and he played against Richlands Lions on the weekend and all the games I watched were reffed by players from older age groups. It provides a pathway and a source of income for these kids.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Wests scrum has improved out of sight this year with young props Jake Newell and Jono Dannaher getting the better of both Brothers and Sunnybanks props at scrum time. Can someone please explain to me how Sunnybank get a penalty from the scrum video below.

it's pretty easy to suggest these young men are getting the better of other teams when Wests props are rotated on and off the field regularly. Fair play to their coaches for that.
In regards to the video, I actually agree with the refs call here - sunnybank going forward, wests going backwards - ref had to make a call in the heat of the moment.

On that topic, why are we so critical of the referees in QPR, yes they make some odd calls but they perform a pretty thankless job each and every week. Oldest argument in the world, but if you could do better, than why don't you? rather than bagging referee x about something he did, get out your whistle and join their ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.