• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
SX with Paraka(injury) & Ready(Sth Africa) out of the Tigers front row the Dogs will surely be wanting to attack through their well performed scrum one would expect.

Easts & Wests have had some close ones over the last few years and I don't think Saturday will be any different.

With these guys out one could mount an argument that Wests should be favourites!

It has been a very long time TT since Wests has tasted success against Easts.

I believe round 1 2008.

But that streak is minuscule since the last time a Tiger put on a Wallaby jersey... Fuel must of been 60 something cents back when David Wilson hung them up.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
SX - was there some doubt about the pass to Sam Johnson in the lead up to the second try by the GPS Winger #11.

Have a look on the wrap above (@ the 00:46 second mark) - to me it would appear that the pass from the GPS forward to Johnson clearly goes forward.

Given the margin in the game GPS can consider themselves lucky that they came away with win.

I couldn't tell you if it was forward mate. my viewing angle was different on the day.

full credit to GPS defensive structure. They were solid!

Wests scored their 2 tries on counter attacking. GPS didn't hold onto the pill and Wests made them pay.

I think the key for Wests to win this weekend is play good tough defense for 80 minutes and not just 2nd half (Wests have had the better of GPS/Brothers in 2nd half of games this year, but first half let them down by soft tackling)

T

Tigers Tale

SX - who is the last Bulldog Wallaby?

Would have to be Higgers, Will Genia, Julian Huxley, Chris Lathum, but then it goes back to Carozza & Gardiner doesn't it.

We like to think of Ben Mowen as a Tiger.

But we'd like to think that there may be another soon in Butler, Placid, Enever, Gunn, Ready, Wilkin, etc

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
TT just watched the Gunn card... It's was about as cynical as it gets... Souths with fast, front foot ball 1m out and gunn comes in from an offside position and through the side of the gate to pilfer and slow up the play.
Ref took no time at all to reach for the card.
If it was in the bond v sunnybank game it may have been given a penilty try after looking at the weekend wrap.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Doughty Shield after Round 5

University - 139
Sunnybank - 122
Brothers - 115
GPS - 94
Easts - 90
Souths - 72
Norths - 63
Bond - 61
Wests - 45
Logan - 6

Round 6

University at Souths
Wests at Easts
Brothers at GPS
Sunnybank at Norths

T

Tigers Tale

SX - sorry I left Bill Campbell, Brian Smith and Sam Scott-Young out of your Wallabies list.

Then I suppose its back to Stan, Roger Gould and did John Meadows (Front Rower) play for Wests?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually thought GPS were further down the ladder in Doughety Shield. I guess a good weekend against Wests really built the points up. Another clean-sweep (or close enough) this weekend would be good!

T

Tigers Tale

Big Dog - I would be surprised if you get a clean sweep because the Brothers Prem Reserve Grade side is pretty special.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know TT, Brothers seem to be decent across all the grades this year, at least on-par with GPS so it will be tough.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
SX - who is the last Bulldog Wallaby?

Would have to be Higgers, Will Genia, Julian Huxley, Chris Lathum, but then it goes back to Carozza & Gardiner doesn't it.

We like to think of Ben Mowen as a Tiger.

But we'd like to think that there may be another soon in Butler, Placid, Enever, Gunn, Ready, Wilkin, etc

Berrick Barnes also missing from the list as well as Troy Coker and even Nathan Grey started out at the kennel. Peter Slattery as well started out as a Bulldog.
Jack Meadows was definitely a Bulldog after the move from Melbourne.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Coker was at Souths before Wests wasn't he? I know he generally makes an appearance at Old Boys days at the Nest......
And I always thought Carozza was a Brothers man....... or maybe my memory is fading.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
If it was in the bond v sunnybank game it may have been given a penilty try after looking at the weekend wrap.

In the context of the game though, I'd argue the penalty try was justified - certainly wasn't given on that one offence alone (the weekend wrap doesn't give that context - so not a dig at you RH).

The preceding four or five minutes had seen multiple penalties for cynical infringements on the line, with others earlier in the game, and cards already given.

T

Tigers Tale

Granted the Bulldogs have a longer list of Wallabies than the Tigers but here is who I think are the Tigers Wallabies starting with our first in Paul Mooney whose trophy the Prem Grade sides compete for this Saturday and every time the two sides meet. Paul Mooney did so much for both clubs.

Then it's:
Ross Cullen;
Peter McLean;
Bruce Cooke;
Nigel Holt;
Dave Wilson;
Paul Kahl;
Andrew Walker*;
Jeremy Paul*;
Lachlan Turner*;
Ben Mowen*.

* capped whilst not concurrently registered at Easts.

So SX it is in fact Paul Kahl(Wallaby #703) and not David Wilson(#699) who was the last Easts players to receive his first Wallaby cap whilst also playing for the club. Kahl played his first test in Nov 1992 and Guc(Wilson) in June 1992. Both players started in Kahl's debut v Wales @ Cardiff Arms Park.

This was the second time that two Easts players started the same test after Peter McLean and Bruce Cooke both started against Ireland @ Ballymore in 1979.

Off course there are a few reps for other Pacific nations most notably the Rualuni's (Jacob & Mosese) for Fiji, JT (Jonnie Tupou) for Tonga and I think Richard Kinsey(Second Rower) also played a test for England but it may have only been England A or on a tour without receiving a test cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.