• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Quite frankly, as a long time GPS supporter, watching yesterday unfold was embarrassing.

On paper, GPS had a professional caliber backline but they failed to click and the forwards were clearly out muscled. Losing Fred Burke to injury in the first 15mins of the game put lots of pressure on the scrum as well. The Filth put on a clinic in controlling the pace of the game, Matho clearly has a well drilled side that knows its patterns and follows a good gameplan.

Being the first time at the 'Glue Factory' for 2015 there were obviously many beer fueled opinions being thrown around but there was a resounding notion that Dammers hasn't bought into the culture down at Yoku yet and the players looked disinterested. There was high turnover going into 2015 so it might take a while for these guys to become a cohesive unit but at the same time if you look at some of the players in the team, they look more like hired guns looking for a platform to get to the next level and there is nothing wrong with that, however, GPS really need some solid clubmen to stand up.
On paper GPS should have really stuck it to the Brothers backs. Interesting comment you make about Dammers not buying into the culture. He's been at more clubs than the Deltones and not left all on good terms. Common denominator there. Should they be threatening the title? On paper, yes. Do they have the Intel in the coaches box, no (barring Emtage).

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
On paper GPS should have really stuck it to the Brothers backs. Interesting comment you make about Dammers not buying into the culture. He's been at more clubs than the Deltones and not left all on good terms. Common denominator there. Should they be threatening the title? On paper, yes. Do they have the Intel in the coaches box, no (barring Emtage).

I watched the game via the stream and I believe the GPS backs got sucked into the verbal game of the filth. There was a lot of trash talk from both sides with the C bomb being dropped on numerous occasions. In the end I just muted the sound. Bothers 9/10/12 seemed to be the worst offenders.
Basic skill errors from both sides but GPS were the worst offenders. Passes going behind players, above their heads and below their waists. You cannot get forward momentum if you have to check your run to catch the ball, this then affects everyone running in support.
I know the brothers 10 has his admirers but I didn't rate his performance, along with the 12 they talk a good game. He runs sideways away from the half back pass, and then has to adjust to catch.
I believe the incident involving the brothers 9 needs to be looked at again for his attempted rabbit chop/elbow to the head of a player from GPS in the second half, at the time I thought it to be a cheap shot.
Have they changed the rule on how many water runners are allowed onto the field during a stoppage? I counted six GPS runners on the field during one stoppage and then their manager wanders out onto the field - and then goes to the huddle to talk to the players. He was wired up so I fail to see why he ventured onto the field. Strange.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I watched the game via the stream and I believe the GPS backs got sucked into the verbal game of the filth. There was a lot of trash talk from both sides with the C bomb being dropped on numerous occasions. In the end I just muted the sound. Bothers 9/10/12 seemed to be the worst offenders.
Basic skill errors from both sides but GPS were the worst offenders. Passes going behind players, above their heads and below their waists. You cannot get forward momentum if you have to check your run to catch the ball, this then affects everyone running in support.
I know the brothers 10 has his admirers but I didn't rate his performance, along with the 12 they talk a good game. He runs sideways away from the half back pass, and then has to adjust to catch.
I believe the incident involving the brothers 9 needs to be looked at again for his attempted rabbit chop/elbow to the head of a player from GPS in the second half, at the time I thought it to be a cheap shot.
Have they changed the rule on how many water runners are allowed onto the field during a stoppage? I counted six GPS runners on the field during one stoppage and then their manager wanders out onto the field - and then goes to the huddle to talk to the players. He was wired up so I fail to see why he ventured onto the field. Strange.
Only 2x designated water runners allowed on the field at once. No manager/ coach to cross the chalk.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
If anyone saw the easts vs Wests game (wich was a great game, heaps of attacking rugby) can you please tell me why a penalty try was given when the scrum hadn't collapsed or been reset once never seen that before at any prems game or on tv at super 15 level. Thought the scrums were good on the weekend not many resets at all good battle up front easts Number 15 was great.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Basic skill errors from both sides but GPS were the worst offenders. Passes going behind players, above their heads and below their waists

If GPS got sucked into the verbal then I guess it worked then. I don't believe this was the issue however.

Brothers kicking game pinned GPS in own half and forced set pieces. GPS had no exit strategy.. a 10 that doesn't know how to clear.. tried running out of own 22 on numerous occasions, missed touch twice. GPS 9 box kicking from inside own 22 all day making no territory. Strategically GPS were awful and should've paid for it more. Brothers pack destroyed at scrum time leading to 2 penalty tries. GPS were outmuscled & outsmarted and could've lost by 50 in my opinion. Brothers let GPS off the hook numerous times through own errors in attacking positions... GPS simply do not play smart rugby, Brothers did... even though they didn't play the most efficient game.

Forget about the chat being thrown... thats no excuse. Learn to play situational rugby.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

T

Tigers Tale

Yes boys it was a tough day at the office for the gallopers yesterday.. This now does leave them with a big task but one which they will achieve. Do not write them off!!! They win there next 3 and they are 4-4 at the halfway mark.. Easts still are the surprise packet for me. Play very tough and intelligent football under tim Sampson. Gallopers will finish 4th and be the first team in a long time to win from there!!!

Dizzle you are dillusional - GPS are gone for 2015.

T

Tigers Tale

Gee people are saying nice things about Sam Greene again - good for him but Filth has he learnt to tackle?

We will soon know I suppose because I recon the Tiger will send plenty his way on Sat @ Crosby.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Away OS at the moment and missed the Souths v Uni game. Can anyone who saw the game give a bit if a report?

Souths deserved the win in a scrappy encounter filled with dropped ball and frustration from both sides. They would've won by a lot more if their kicker had found his range because a lot of points were left out on the field. It caused some nervous minutes at the end of the game for Souths after a couple of fairly quick tries to Uni.

I caught up with the Souths coaches (and a couple of players who I didn't get the names of) after the game and they were more relieved than happy with the win. To quote "we've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory a few times this year already".

Uni looked like a team that hadn't played in three weeks (Easter & the bye) - rusty - and there was a distinct lack of cohesion and (well-placed) aggression out there. They were off their game and lost, full credit goes to Souths.

T

Tigers Tale

Lion - fare enough analysis of the game.

Just an observation over the last few years v Wests it seems that Wests need to be down by 2 or 3 tries before they get started.

On Saturday they scored first led 7-0 after 5 minutes and continued to apply pressure on Easts for first 15 minutes and then they awoke Eliott Hagen (3 tries) who is the best outside back in QPR this year and Easts managed to get their 4th try bonus point late in the first half and lead 26-7 at the break.

The game was then set up for Wests, much like their effort v GPS the week before they had nothing to lose put together some good passages of play, the opposition's intensity dropped off and before they new it they were back in the frame but they couldn't seal the deal.

When Wests believe that they are good enough to beat the sides above them on the table they will become a very dangerous opponent but they just seem to me to lack self belief.

I suppose that won't change until they start winning a few games, but they are certainly not far off the top 5 sides.

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
On paper GPS should have really stuck it to the Brothers backs. IntereEsting comment you make about Dammers not buying into the culture. He's been at more clubs than the Deltones and not left all on good terms. Common denominator there. Should they be threatening the title? On paper, yes. Do they have the Intel in the coaches box, no (barring Emtage).
I am very interested to hear where you feel dammers has left on bad terms???
To suggest he is not bringing a culture to the club is a little harsh. But I suppose it is easy for you to throw daggers behind a screen!!
Maybe you should stop listening to the other Todd!!!

dizzle

Peter Burge (5)
Cmon boys as a longtime canberra Raiders fan I always keep believing the dream!!! September footy here we come!!!

T

Tigers Tale

The GPS issue as I have said before is that their Premiership window was 2012-14 and they missed the boat.

You can't expect to give up 8 players to the Reds and think that everything will run as before with the other guys stepping up.

T

Tigers Tale

Red Heavy - what is Uni's success rate when JJ Tualungi plays for you?

T

Tigers Tale

"Drizzle" what you are saying and believing is "dribble"!!

I am very authorised to make such a claim because no one puts up more dribble on this forum than I do.

;)

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dizzle, it is good to know there's another Raiders fan out there.

Does anyone know if Brothers and Easts play for a trophy/shield on the weekend?

Templeton - McLean = University v Brothers
Shaw - Pilecki = Brothers v Wests
Flynn - Lewis = Brothers v GPS

I don't think there is one for Brothers and Easts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.