• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
I disagree Stallion, I thought souths were playing to a structure in attack, with forward runners attacking the middle of the field, and absorbing defenders, before going wide to use the space, and you can see them doing this all game, in any area of the park. By comparison, easts looked panicked, and a lot of passes were sub standard from 9 , putting pressure on the runners, who mostly were stopped short of the ad line. When they did go wide, it was justchain passing with no momentum. Granted souths defence was motivated, and the no name back row was immense, I agree. I dont think that it was all ad lib and counter attack. They play this way every week.

T

TOCC

I thought Souths win was built on rock solid and aggressive defence, some of the hits were massive and stopped Easts from getting over the gain line, this prevented Easts from ever getting on the front foot and lead to a lot of poor handling errors by Easts.

Really impressive stuff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rugby is a funny thing. Easts did all the hard work early, made the major semi and booked themselves straight into the final but then came up against a Souths team that was riding a massive wave of momentum late in the season. Congrats to Souths.

I do feel for Brothers as well. Three teams in Grand Finals with no biscuits. Their Prem Reserve and 1st Grade teams were brilliant during the season.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's the go with Prem Grade coaches for 2016?

No Matheson @ Bros? No Sampson @ Easts? Dammers @ GPS? Fogarty @ Norths?

SX - is Phil Mooney in the director of rugby role @ Sylvan Rd? Will that mean changes to the Prems?

Hedger(Bond), Heehan(Uni), Picone(Souths), would all appear as though they'll have the reigns at their clubs.

Will Seib be retained at Snbk?

What are peoples thoughts - would Dammers consider throwing his hat in the ring at Crosby given his Nudgee links?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Picone could have the job for life with a Premiership in his first year. Haha!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very keen to hear how Mooney's involvement at wests will evolve, I have heard he wont be directly involved in any specific team coaching. My understanding is Byron is going round again; from all reports despite results all are pretty happy with how he operates.

Hedger did well to turn Bond around; better luck with injuries next year and they could be real contenders.

Have any names been thrown around for the top job at Brothers or easts? Perhaps the emergence of some ambitious school 1st XV coaches looking to make the step up to premier rugby or current QPR aspiring assistant coaches??

It seems that GPS and norths are where the most uncertainty lies currently; a lot of developments/reviews post season. I feel the next week or so will give clearer pictures. I would imagine Dammers is safe given GPS did finish reasonably better towards the back end of the season and with the calibre of players in their backline they should improve their results. Norths; not so sure what is happening there??

Potentially a few jobs up for grabs; will be watching these developments with a keen interest.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
These are very much rumor mill things that I've heard on the grapevine but apparently -

- Dammers is still very keen to stay at GPS and it seems likely this will happen. I have heard he was put on a 2 year contract regardless of results.

- Fogarty is a bit unsettled at Norths, not sure if that means he will look to leave or whether there will be a few changes to the setup in 2016.

- Brothers are considering McCormack for the Premier role. He would have been a near certainty had he been able to bring a Prem Colts victory in the last few seasons.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Just to throw something into the works, is there any plans in the future to include another one or two country teams in Premier Rugby. From what I've seen of Central Queensland and the Darling Downs in Junior and Senior Rugby, Both regions seem to be getting much stronger. I reckon that the Gold Coast could almost have enough depth for another team as well, looking at juniors that is.

T

Train Without a Station

The Gold Coast Cyclones (The GCDRU Rep Team) had it's worst ever season in 2015 I believe so I'd say they probably are not ready to have a 2nd team.

Looking at some of the players that were in the team, I'd tend to agree. Many just simply are not premier grade quality.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
The Gold Coast Cyclones (The GCDRU Rep Team) had it's worst ever season in 2015 I believe so I'd say they probably are not ready to have a 2nd team.

Looking at some of the players that were in the team, I'd tend to agree. Many just simply are not premier grade quality.

What about the other country areas? Like I said DD and CQ both have improved a lot over the last few years.

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
Sunshine coast needs to be added to the competition again. They need to do what bond uni did and make it a club rather than a rep team. There is plenty of talent coming out of the sunny coast but most of the players get taken by Brisbane teams because there is no team in the competition anymore.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think we'll see any expansions in the near future. Until this year there was serious noise being made about Logan getting teams in the 'Premier' comp and it looks like that took a step backwards this season.

Whilst I believe some country inclusions would be great for the game, I can't see it happening soon.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sunshine coast needs to be added to the competition again.

For the Sunny Coast to be viable again they probably need to look at the Bond model and try and get involved with Sunny Coast Uni or something similar. The team wasn't taken out of the competition just for shits and giggles or because they weren't winning games, they essentially ran out money.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
What happened to logan was pretty BS. They Made Reserve Grade final in 2013 then were moved down to 1st grade and dominated the competition in 2014. ..Yet still no promotion to premier was forthcoming.

You can’t leave a club in limbo like that. Eventually dominating the third XV of premier clubs would get old. For those players who left this year it was probably a case of needing a new challenge; either in premier grade with Logan, or moving to an actual premier club to test themselves. Obviously it was a case of the latter rather than the former.

I now doubt if Logan will be able to pull it back together, and be a legitimate option. You couldn’t fault their results, however maybe there were admin issue with the logan committee? But if the QRUwere looking for a new premier grade club, Logan RFC in 2014 was the perfect seed. Now they will have to wait for either logan to pull it together or a new candidate to rise from the quagmire of QLD suburban rugby

I really think it’s a case of ‘if you build it they will come’. It’s foolish to expect talented players to flock to a club on the proviso that one day in the future they will potentially get premier status.

In conclusion, at the end of the day it’s not like a promoted Logan could have done much worse than Norths did in 2015 or Wests 2008/09

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
What happened to logan was pretty BS. They Made Reserve Grade final in 2013 then were moved down to 1st grade and dominated the competition in 2014. ..Yet still no promotion to premier was forthcoming.

You can’t leave a club in limbo like that. Eventually dominating the third XV of premier clubs would get old. For those players who left this year it was probably a case of needing a new challenge; either in premier grade with Logan, or moving to an actual premier club to test themselves. Obviously it was a case of the latter rather than the former.

I now doubt if Logan will be able to pull it back together, and be a legitimate option. You couldn’t fault their results, however maybe there were admin issue with the logan committee? But if the QRUwere looking for a new premier grade club, Logan RFC in 2014 was the perfect seed. Now they will have to wait for either logan to pull it together or a new candidate to rise from the quagmire of QLD suburban rugby

I really think it’s a case of ‘if you build it they will come’. It’s foolish to expect talented players to flock to a club on the proviso that one day in the future they will potentially get premier status.

In conclusion, at the end of the day it’s not like a promoted Logan could have done much worse than Norths did in 2015 or Wests 2008/09

How much impact did the "new" ARU driven player subs have on numbers at Logan ?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
How much impact did the "new" ARU driven player subs have on numbers at Logan ?

A lot apparently. There was plenty of loyal players who just couldn't afford to play anymore. Many went to league, where they either didn't have to pay as much, which will get worse next year when the ARU wants subs paid up front.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thierry - I don't disagree with you comments related to Logan but I think you will find that Souths beat GPS in the 2013 Reserve Grade grand final.

Having said that I think Logan did make the top 4 in reserve grade that year.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Mitch Third playing for Canberra Vikings in the NRC.

I wonder if a permanent move is on the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.