• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Dammers will be back next year, not sure about other coaches.. First I have heard about Jayden and Bobby to Norths? Who's throwing that rumour around?

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to see Dammers re-appointed. Could lead to more players jumping ship or is he going to bring more players over from Sydney.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Irrespective of how the players feel about Dammers at Yoku, the boys really need to rally together for next year for the sake of the club. A lot of quality personnel moving on and the lack of quality talent coming through the grades and colts filtering into Premier grade could really spell some dark times for the club for the next few years.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Who else would be leaving the Gallopers apart from Kuridrani and Kerevi?

I still reckon GPS are a top four side. But if they start losing some of their rep players it may be a difficult goal to achieve.

Any news out of St Lucia?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Aside from Kuridrani and Kerevi, Freney is also confirmed as having gone to the Premiers at the nest. Ive also heard halfback Edan Campbell-O'Brien isn't back next year. I know not many people would bat an eye lid there but with Frisby (Reds) and Grasso gone it leaves some serious holes for the team in a very important position. Have also heard of a few stalwarts in the pack having the year off this year as well.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Irrespective of how the players feel about Dammers at Yoku, the boys really need to rally together for next year for the sake of the club. A lot of quality personnel moving on and the lack of quality talent coming through the grades and colts filtering into Premier grade could really spell some dark times for the club for the next few years.
The senior part of the club needs to start respecting the juniors too. Lots of success in the juniors this year but very little recognition from senior management. Didn't see any at the finals!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Spoke to a few guys over the weekend and it sounds like about 7-8 guys won't be returning to GPS next year.

Also surprising to hear that Norths apparently have a new big name sponsor/donator who's coin will provide match payments for players. Can anyone from Norths confirm this? From what I heard they are making a big push to get high profile names to the club in 2016.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Since the merger between junior and senior clubs at GPS, it appears that the senior club is unaware there are juniors at the club. Higher fees, less in return for those higher fees, for example the lack of pendants for juniors, club uniforms. Upon witnessing the attempt to firmly establish a junior committe, it appears that requests for vital infrastructure such as a full time coaching coordinator to assist volunteer coaches have been denied due to lack of money. Not doubting the effort put in by the clubs CEO and General Manager but the amount spent on these two positions is not sustainable. My understanding is that the senior committee has concerns about this as well but are struggling to deal with it. For any junior clubs considering merging with the seniors, think very carefully before doing it.

Boom Crash

Stan Wickham (3)
Have most of the coaching positions been settled for 2016?
Can anyone confirm deny the following.

Uni have retained Mick Heenan and his assistant

South's will have the same core of coaches

Easts???

Bond keeping the same coaches

North's the same coaches and rumoured to have Clive Palmer as the new CEO.

GPS have stuck with Todd Dammer's, his assistant Emtage has gone to Melbourne with work. A big loss to QLD Rugby.

Brother's, Carl Marshall has stepped up to take the head coach position supported by Ben McCormack.

Wests have retained Pat Byron however they have cleaned out all of the Premier Assistant and Premier Reserve coaches.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rumour mill is in full swing down at Yoku Rd (again!!)

Apparently massive shakeups in Prem Colts, Prem Reserve and 1st Grade. From what I understand GPS didn't actually give anyone the flick like they did a few years ago, rather the coaches themselves have walked due to various factors and won't be Gallopers in 2016. I've heard that Brothers and Wests may have picked up a couple of them.

Not sure if GPS is looking externally to replace these guys or whether there will be lower grade promotions. Also keep in mind GPS hasn't actually released any official coaching positions yet so it may all blow over, although my source is fairly reliable.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Another NRL player (winger) added to the mix. Lagi Setu to join Qld Country NRC. Might as well tell all the young QPR outside backs with higher aspirations to head overseas or join their local NRL club. Why not give Mitch Felsman (declared Brothers bias here) or another young outside back from within the QPR a crack. Why do we keep sending the message that the local competition is not good enough?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lagi is probably headed to Norths as well then as its rumoured Waita is leaving GPS for the Eagles with the $$$ being offered.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lagi was definitely an backrower at school. When did he stop playing Nrl?

I don't think country are short wingers. Centres are their issue at the moment.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Where's the $ coming from?
Just hope hardly any make the journey up to Shaw Rd from Ascot/Albion. Brothers are starting to shape up well. Maybe a year or two off before having a very solid team. The players are there (minus a few centres) we just need the experience. When Bros won back in 09 the experience was certainly there. Those players had been together for many years. At least seven had played 100 premier grade games.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've spoken with a few guys who have been offered the $ and whoever it is has just been referred to as an 'investor'. I didn't push the subject as I could tell they either didn't know or were preferring not to say.

Maybe someone closer to Norths could shed some light on it.

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello fellow rugby nuts,
Long time follower, first poster.
Have had a huge connection over the years at uni and GPS playing, coaching and now supporting avidly.

Regards to the $$$ being thrown around. From what I've been told, this "investor" has put in excess $40,000 through the club to go towards players, with some to pocket $500 a game. Heard that there is 3-5 ex super rugby players headed to shaw rd depending on the $$$. Huge changes for norths. Hopefully they climb the ladder next year

Status
Not open for further replies.