• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Finals at Sylvan Rd - at least that would ensure that the club had a presence at finals time!!!!!!

We'd prefer you to get your beer from the club house rather than the Regatta though!!!!!

Those beer lines at Ballymore are ridiculous!!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Do they still have field 2 out the back there?

Yeap, the second field is currently facing the same way, I'm no longer part of the club so I haven't heard if they're changing the direction of that one just yet.

We'd prefer you to get your beer from the club house rather than the Regatta though!!!!!

Hahah the bars can only hold so many people ;)

Last I read there were going to be some commercial tenants in the building, any idea who's moving in?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The commercial tenant I believe is a large medical or X-ray group.

Really amazing source of income for the club - well done to Brownie and the board.

When the $$ start rolling we will firstly have to pay off the debt but there will be some $$ for rugby at senior and junior levels.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Great to see some QPR players getting a shot with Australian 7s in Connor Mitchell (Uni), Alex Gibbon (Norths) and Sam Caslick (Wests) Along with another two Josh Coward and Liam McNamara (both Sunnybank). I dare say there's a few more who could make the jump.

Just wondering what happened to Alex Gibbon? I thought he left 7s to make a fist of 15s? Seems odd that you would leave the 7s set up before he Olympic campaign and come back just after it? Would it have something to do with the reds? He seemed to have some decent cameos off the bench for the reds at the back end of the season
IMG_0148.PNG

T

TOCC

How are West funding this club house? Government grants, debt?
Its rate for such a large club house for a orgnsagion that isn't propped up by pokies

T

TOCC

Yeahh answers some and creates some more... it's good that they're steering away form Pokies, but I worry that they are putting themselves in quite a bit of debt with the hope that commercial leases will cover some of the ongoing costs.

T

TOCC

Sure, leasing space is a smart way to generate money and make the building useful out of season.. But even with 200m2 space to lease it will only return around $60k P.A. which could maybe cover the cost to service the debt acquired($1.5milliom?) for the upgrade.

I'm not ridiculing or criticising them, just trying to understand the business case behind it.. if it were simply a case of leasing space to pay for upgrades then all clubs would be doing it.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet or not but great work from Matty Kaye and the boys at Brothers who managed to get the National club champs games for 2017 televised.

Looks like both UQ v Syd Uni (battle of the best loser from 2016) and Brothers v Norths will be broadcast by Foxtel next year.

Both games will be played out at Brothers on the 25th of Feb

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet or not but great work from Matty Kaye and the boys at Brothers who managed to get the National club champs games for 2017 televised.

Looks like both UQ v Syd Uni (battle of the best loser from 2016) and Brothers v Norths will be broadcast by Foxtel next year.

Both games will be played out at Brothers on the 25th of Feb

See u there Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully this and the Rd1 Super 20 game between QLD u20 & Reb u20 does not clash. The game I heard is scheduled for Sat 25th Feb and would usually be played at Ballymore.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Hopefully this and the Rd1 Super 20 game between QLD u20 & Reb u20 does not clash. The game I heard is scheduled for Sat 25th Feb and would usually be played at Ballymore.

I believe there is an issue with one of the Ballymore grandstands. The Brisbane roar looked to host a soccer game there due to the global tens being at Suncorp but can't due to the grandstands. Wonder if this is the reason?
To be honest, gives it more of a club rugby feel being at the club ground.
Well done Brothers

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeahh answers some and creates some more. it's good that they're steering away form Pokies, but I worry that they are putting themselves in quite a bit of debt with the hope that commercial leases will cover some of the ongoing costs.

The other cost has been player retention. With all and sundry focused on the new building it appears that nobody bothered to talk with the players and their future plans. Tyrone landed at Wests 2 years ago and is now in the Reds wider training squad......and the credit now sits with Norths. I suppose the relevant people responsible for player retention and recruitment were too busy looking at colour charts and picking out tiles.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Wests could pick up dissatisfied players from elsewhere though. Sylvan Road along with Sunnybank now has the best facilities in Brisbane. That's a massive enticement for young players. Wests have also merged with Kenmore in the juniors and have set up a colts academy. For me, it's not all doom and gloom for the Dogs.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests could pick up dissatisfied players from elsewhere though. Sylvan Road along with Sunnybank now has the best facilities in Brisbane. That's a massive enticement for young players. Wests have also merged with Kenmore in the juniors and have set up a colts academy. For me, it's not all doom and gloom for the Dogs.

I genuinely hope that you are right, but it is very frustrating. Sam Greene was blooded at Wests and now......

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I genuinely hope that you are right, but it is very frustrating. Sam Greene was blooded at Wests and now..
Sam Greene was a Brothers boy who went to the doggies to play Premier rugby and went back when he knew he could play Premier at Crosby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sam Greene was a Brothers boy who went to the doggies to play Premier rugby and went back when he knew he could play Premier at Crosby.

For me Sam Greene will always be "the water boy"!!!!

In his one season at Wests he was the competition's leading points scorer not bad for a lad just out of school.

Regardless of his decision to leave Sylvan Rd for Crosby he was still a better long term option for the Reds at No.10 than Jake McIntyre. If Sam had been given the opportunities afforded Jake it would be Sam on the bench behind QC (Quade Cooper) next year.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Bulldog when will the fields and club house be finished at Sylvan Rd. It is looking very impressive, at least in the glimpses I've had driving past and from the train.

eastoldfella10

Frank Row (1)
East seem to have some good depth there with new young talent.It is heard that sione has brought over his 2 nephews eddie and peaufi Vakauta? Eddie I'm sure partnered matt Gordon in the centres for igs/schoolboys? And peaufi played mostly league at titans 20's I hear? Anyone know of these boys? Be exciting to see what East can do next year?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 365
Status
Not open for further replies.