• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
East seem to have some good depth there with new young talent.It is heard that sione has brought over his 2 nephews eddie and peaufi Vakauta? Eddie I'm sure partnered matt Gordon in the centres for igs/schoolboys? And peaufi played mostly league at titans 20's I hear? Anyone know of these boys? Be exciting to see what East can do next year?

Confirms Tim Smith at Easts - another player Wests have failed to retain. How many does that make it with their props leaving as well?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
From this list Easts will have a good backline in Smith/Pilz, Tibbetts, Perese, Gordon, White, Faulkner, Hagen - I think any club would be happy to have these guys in their first side. They may have to play Perese at fullback if they can't find room in the centres.

They struggled early doors last year when they had a lot of guys out but they also seem to have added some depth in the guys that others have just mentioned.

What interests me most about 2017 isn't the Bulldogs but it is whether Brothers can go back to back its been quite a while since its been done.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's a tough task to win back to back. Vikings were the last team to do it. At this stage, UQ & SB will be hard to beat in 2017.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So far, Sylvan Rd is looking pretty impressive.

wests.PNG

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes Filth - Rugby football .... take me home Sylvan Rd.

It will be great when we get that first win in 2017!!!

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Courier Mail today had a good write up on the new cafe based at Wests ground - sounded very appealing. Every time my kids have played at Wests it has bucketed down with rain - judging by the photo of the cafe it would be a good spot to dry out after the game.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Bond have just announced Ben Gollings as their Women's Sevens coach for next year.

Google says he was on both the Aussie Men's and Fiji Men's shortlist! Quite a coup for Bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bond have just announced Ben Gollings as their Women's Sevens coach for next year.

Google says he was on both the Aussie Men's and Fiji Men's shortlist! Quite a coup for Bond.

Didnt Gollings play for Sunnybank back in the day?? Or was it the GC??
Great get for Bond. Although it was very confident of them to appoint a coach before the National Sevens University Series (NSUS) teams had been informed if their tender process had been successful.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was Sunnybank I am pretty sure.

Gollings actually played in the original ARC too. I think for the infamous East Coast Aces!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Gollings played for the Dragons but always lived on the GC. Had a tremendous work ethic and would spend a few sessions a week with a trainer taking him through drills so he was ready for the sevens circuit.
Good luck to him at Bond. Hopefully they grow a really strong women's 7's program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
From memory Gollings played in the 2005 premiership with Sunnybank, which I believe was their first title. Sunnybank played that infamous side-to-side style of footy under Damon Emtage, with a fresh faced Digby Ioane on the wing for the bank, was great viewing. Gollings official title is as a 7s development officer; responsible for growing 7s and 7s specific coach ed and should Bond be successful in being granted one of the women's 7s franchises (which they should be) Gollings will also coach this. Love Bonds proactive approach to local rugby

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Bond's Hayden Sergeant has been down at Melbourne Rebels preseason. Tuaina Tualima from Sunnybank is down as well.

rugbynerd

Peter Burge (5)
Can we finish off the year with clubs gain & losses?

I'll start with my beloved eagles. This makes me so excited for 2017. Year of the Eagle?

Gains: Brad Lacey(Western Force), Tyrone Lefau(Wests), AJ Campbell(Easts), Tonga Maafu(UQ), Shane Tetzlaff(UQ), Josaia Droka(Souths), Elias Power(Redcliffe Dolphins), Atama Tahana(QLD Country 20s), Jack Dean(England)

Losses: Gareth Ryan(Brothers), Rob Puliuvea (France), Liam Dunne(Kubota), Bart Richie(Wests), Matt Ika(Wests), Logan Tibbetts(Easts), Kieran Fitzgerald

Can we get other clubs doing the same?
Can't wait for QPR 2017

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
96c482421381fc5ef8da94599ee0daae.jpg

Brothers Prem Grade squad.

No Reds, Reds U20s or 2017 Colts in sight.

One interesting name is Filipo Daugunu. An ex-Soccer goalkeeper in Fiji who decided to give up the sport to play Sevens for Fiji.

A Fiji Times article says he's been placed with Brothers (a Reds "feeder" club) to audition for a Super Rugby gig.

Article below:

February 18, 2016.

OPTING out of the Fiji sevens squad, Filipo Daugunu has set his sights on much higher stakes with an opportunity to play for either the Brisbane Broncos or the Queensland Reds development team.

Daugunu had been selected into the national sevens squad by coach Ben Ryan to prepare for the Las Vegas and Vancouver 7s earlier in the week but had yesterday confirmed his decision to go abroad.

His agent Keith Sanga, co-founder and director of Paralete, who are accredited NRL agents, said while the initial plan was to have Daugunu be part of a development pathway for the Brisbane Broncos, the Reds development program could also serve an alternative option.

"There are a couple of things going on for Filipo, he is on both the Reds' and Broncos' radar.

"He will be part of a Reds feeder club and if all goes well he could have a full time contract by the end of the year," he said.

He added that the opportunity allows Daugunu to slowly become accustomed to the level of play in what he terms as a "semi-formal environment".

"We came over to Suva to sign him. Initially we had tried him for the Brisbane Broncos but in terms of his transition we figured it would be a bit of a stretch to jump straight to rugby league as he had only transitioned from soccer. The Broncos are happy to observe him for a year to see how he performs," he said.

Daugunu switched from soccer to rugby union mid 2015. Should all go well, he could be leaving the country as early as next month.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Lawson Creighton to Brothers??
When did that happen?
Huge loss for Norths there. Dave Sheehan was chasing him heavily here at GPS. Kid can play. Interesting move considering the fly halves he's stuck behind (Murphy, Hunt, James)
Great pick up for Brothers Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.