• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbys4every1

Frank Row (1)
My 2017 team of the season
Note: Contracted players are ineligible

1. Laione Mulikihaamea
2. Campbell Wakely
3. Fred Burke
4. Phil Potgeiter
5. Dan Gorman
6. Tai Ford
7. Jack De Guingand
8. Jack Cornelsen
9. Issac Fines
10. AJ Alatimu
11. Ed Fidow (Player of the season)
12. Alex horan
13. Levi Aumua
14. Mitch Felsman
15. Byron Hutchinson
16. Cody blackhurst
17. Richie Asiata
18. Tonga Maafu
19. Jerimiah Lynch
20. Brendan Mitchell
21. Nick Chapman
22. Conor Chittenden
23. Harry Parker

Uni: 6 GPS: 4 SB: 2 East: 1 West: 4 South: 1 Bro: 1 Norths: 3 Bond: 1

Some thoughts for my selections
- Uni are heavily represented having won all their games so far. When it was hard to pick between 2 players, I favoured the Uni player eg. Harry Parker over Emori Waqavulagi

- GPS have been dominant in scrums, therefore both props were selected in the starting side.

- Tai Ford is a weapon and has been a standout for a lackluster Bond outfit. Showed his potential when playing for the President's XV

- Nick Chapman has had a stellar 2017 season and I think is in the mix for a NRC spot. However, I still think Issac Fines is the best half back in the competition

- Ed Fidow is my player of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a contract next year

- Byron Hutchinson is strong in contact and has a monster boot

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
With the table being so tight at the moment and a number of teams well and truly still in the hunt for that 4th spot has anyone done an alterative table using last year's bonus points system? ie four tries gets a bonus point.

CM1603

Bob McCowan (2)
My team of the year for 2017
1. Laione Mulikihaamea (GPS)
2. Tonga Maafu (Norths)
3. Fred Burke (GPS)
4. Dan Gorman (GPS)
5. Phil Potgieter (UQ)
6. Tai Ford (Bond)
7. Jack De Guingand (UQ)
8. Shane Tasi (Norths)
9. Nick Chapman (Norths)
10. James Dalgleish (UQ)
11. Ed Fidow (Wests)
12. Henry Taefu (Sunnybank)
13. Levi Aumua (Souths)
14. Veresa Mantaitini (Norths)
15. Byron Hutchison (Wests)

16. Campbell Wakely (UQ)
17. Richie Asiata (Easts)
18. Pat Morrey (UQ)
19. Elias Power (Norths)
20. Jeremiah Lynch (Wests)
21. Issac Fines (Sunnybank)
22. Connor Chittendon (Norths)
23. Junior Laolifi (Sunnybank)

I am a Norths supporter so i have seen these players play much more often then other players and are confident in the abilities. So excuse my bias.

Elias power played 6 games before he broke his foot. I think he was playing exceptional and if he managed to play the whole season he would have easily earnt a spot in the team of the year.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
does anyone know if Norths still have a shot at finals or is it impossible for them?

A very remote and unlikely possibility - they have beaten beaten 3 out of the top 5 teams so hopefully they can hold on to their players and build for next year.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
does anyone know if Norths still have a shot at finals or is it impossible for them?
Mathematically, yes.

Some very realistic results need to go our way.

We are just focusing on what we can do and the rest is in the hands of the rugby gods.

2nd best attacking team in the comp. We are playing an exciting brand, so any players who like scoring tries, see you at the nest in 2018.

We are very confident in holding onto all of our playing group, so the way we have been building, it will be an exciting year next year, right across the comp!

But on the flipside, obviously we have had some defensive issues.... Which we are working hard in, but it makes playing Norths, either home or away, one of the most exciting games of this year's comp to watch!!

2 to go for us. We'll rest up well after the bash up against Brothers and prepare well for the Bank at the Nest Saturday week.

We will have a special Pasifika jersey to play in (which are being auctioned, check out our club FB page) to honour not only the Pacific Island influence at our club, but across the QPR.

14a70ce21ce64a2c9d56f419995f13a1.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Speaking of the Rugby Gods, here's hoping He/She can 'divinely intervene' to prevent Brothers from making it seven straight losses in a row against an always tough Souths outfit.

Come on the Brethren!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe I have crunched the numbers but if anybody wants to jump in and correct pls do so.

So Wests now control their own destiny as they march to securing the 4th and final playoff spot.

*A bonus point win for bulldogs against Brothers this weekend should secure the spot.

*A non bonus point win for bulldogs will keep Easts in contention when they return from their bye. Easts would then need a bonus point win & hope that Wests doesn't pick up a bonus point in a loss in the final week.(Brothers would be eliminated)

*A bulldogs loss to Brothers means Brothers are back in the mix along with Easts coming off the bye

FINAL ROUND WILL BE
(Wests vs Norths, Easts v GPS, Brothers v Sunnybank)

Souths & Norths were both eliminated over the weekend. it's now down to a 3 car race for the 4th spot in the Qld Premier Rugby playoffs.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Norths are still eligible

Norths are sitting on 22 points on the ladder.

Wests is on 31 and Brothers is on 28.

If we can confirm they got the points back that they disputed then that will bump them back into mathamatically contention but i'm just going off what the table says.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Norths are sitting on 22 points on the ladder.

Wests is on 31 and Brothers is on 28.

If we can confirm they got the points back that they disputed then that will bump them back into mathamatically contention but i'm just going off what the table says.
Still a possibility going on current table. We didn't get the points back.

Will break it down for you, even with my South Auckland education...

2 x 5pt wins, we go to 32. We put over 20pts on both the Bank and the Doggies.

Brothers beat Wests by 8pts (no 3try BP) and lose their last game without a bonus point.

We're still eligible

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Apologies.

Even with the 22 points Norths sits on they can still make the finals with
Running the table and coming away with 2x 5 point bonus point wins.

But need to have :
Brothers win over Wests (No Bonus Points-Either Teams)
Then Brothers losing vs Sunnybank (No Bonus Points)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Still a possibility going on current table. We didn't get the points back.

Will break it down for you, even with my South Auckland education.

2 x 5pt wins, we go to 32. We put over 20pts on both the Bank and the Doggies.

Brothers beat Wests by 8pts (no 3try BP) and lose their last game without a bonus point.

We're still eligible

You beat me to it. Thanks TrainerGB for clarifying. How's it feel to be a Brothers supporter for the coming weekend? ;)

giphy.gif

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Whatever it takes.. Whatever it takes.. Haha.

Such an awesome comp this year

Yes indeed.
A Brothers win like how you script it would make for a fabulous Final Round with Easts, Brothers, Wests & Norths all playing for that last spot. Can't remember the last time the comp had this much parity.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is it a good type of parity though?

Only 3 teams have a positive points differential atm and its highly likely whoever comes 4th at the end of the season will still be in the negative, along with teams from 5-8.

The team in 3rd is currently running at a 50% win rate.

One team in the race for 4th (or even 3rd if every thing goes their way)has won 5 from 14 games.

On one hand its good that any team can win on its day but it also shows a real lack of consistency from all but 2 or 3 sides.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Is it a good type of parity though?

Only 3 teams have a positive points differential atm and its highly likely whoever comes 4th at the end of the season will still be in the negative, along with teams from 5-8.

The team in 3rd is currently running at a 50% win rate.

One team in the race for 4th (or even 3rd if every thing goes their way)has won 5 from 14 games.

On one hand its good that any team can win on its day but it also shows a real lack of consistency from all but 2 or 3 sides.
Doesn't it mean the depth across the comp is a lot better though?

Anybody can beat anybody (barring UQ this season) on their day.

Isn't that what we should be aiming for as a competition, meaning more quality players available for higher honours? NRC, Reds etc.

Attracting more players from all over (Shute, WA, NZ) to want to play in a comp where they are continually tested week in and week out? Strengthening Qld rugby.

That's just my 2 cents.... But I'm a Kiwi, and we have a different opinion of Rugby to Australians

Status
Not open for further replies.