• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just because a few teams can sneak into 4th doesnt mean there is better depth in the comp though.

The fact that only 3 teams will finish the season with a positive points differential shows that.

Anyone of the Aussie super teams can beat each other it doesn't mean the Aussie conference is quality

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Just because a few teams can sneak into 4th doesnt mean there is better depth in the comp though.

The fact that only 3 teams will finish the season with a positive points differential shows that.

Anyone of the Aussie super teams can beat each other it doesn't mean the Aussie conference is quality

You must account for the new bonus point system. Stop focusing on a point differential and look at the wins and losss

Obviously UQ is in a league of their own & they would be the counter argument to my parity comment.

The new bonus point system encourages teams to keep scoring meat pies where as the old system is once you score 4 tries or more then you hand over the rest of the penalty opportunities to your goal kicker

I think what made this comp that much closer were the 2 ties the comp produced.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You must account for the new bonus point system. Stop focusing on a point differential and look at the wins and losss

Obviously UQ is in a league of their own & they would be the counter argument to my parity comment.

The new bonus point system encourages teams to keep scoring meat pies where as the old system is once you score 4 tries or more then you hand over the rest of the penalty opportunities to your goal kicker

Another pro for the parity is that the sides that were at the top haven't deteriorated to a degree that it's a new side. Brothers lost a few but not the entire side - such that North's or whoever else's win is still an achievement. the fact there is also no whipping boy for the mid tier teams supports this as well.

I wonder if NRC is having much to do with player movement... Me thinks not yet as the players who get reds gigs out it are already in the squad it seems

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)

OK lets not focus on points differential as the new points system obviously makes it easier for the top teams to put big scores on the rest of the comp for some reason. and ignore that this in its self may hint that there is not as much parity as you might think.

Lets focus on wins. Only 2 teams have winning records at the moment. Does this make you think that comp is close, high quality and competitive week in week out if only 2 from 9 teams are going to win more than they lose??

This year about 1/3 of the games have finished within 7 points. This is the same number as the previous 2 seasons. So we are getting just as many close games as we have in past comps.

The big difference in my eyes this season is the ability of teams to be consistent. Most teams can come out and look like world beaters one week and then not turn up and get belted for the next 2.

By the looks of it I am alone on this forum when thinking that the overall quality of the comp has gone down from previous seasons. But my view is obviously skewed as well since these days I only watch UQ games and not too many teams have brought their best footy against us this season so far.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that's what parity means though red heavy. Being world beaters one week and then not getting the chocolates the next week #AnyGivenSaturday. It has been the case like that for every club this year excluding UQ and Bond which sit on opposite ends of the spectrum.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
I love our optimism TrainerGB. Results were not kind to you on the weekend. I'm tipping Brothers to take fourth spot with a couple of good wins going into finals. Taniela, by all reports made a bit of impact on Saturday. Great to see him backing up and wanting to play. Be interesting to see if any other Reds are as motivated to get back to clubland and help their respective clubs over the final two rounds. Will Karmichael be strapping on the boots for the Eagles TrainerGB this weekend?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Higginbotham and Quade cooper both got axed from the extended wallabies squad. Would love to see them back in clubland thus weekend

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Run home for 4th is:

Wests 31 Bros(h), Nths(h)
Easts 30 Bye, GPS(h)
Bros 28 Wests(a), Snbk(h)
Souths 23 Bond(a) Bye
Norths 22 Snbk(h), Wests(a)

I will leave my obvious predictions to myself but a win by Wests this weekend may see them heading to Ballymore.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Run home for 4th is:

Wests 31 Bros(h), Nths(h)
Easts 30 Bye, GPS(h)
Bros 28 Wests(a), Snbk(h)
Souths 23 Bond(a) Bye
Norths 22 Snbk(h), Wests(a)

I will leave my obvious predictions to myself but a win by Wests this weekend may see them heading to Ballymore.

I think whoever wins brothers vs Wests this weekend will advance.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know SX I think Bros will need to win their last two and that means knocking off Sunnybank who have been pretty good this year despite going down to the Dogs in their recent encounter.

I honestly think Wests only need win one of their last 2, because if they do then Easts need 5 point from their last game against GPS - which will be difficult for the Tigers.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, you're right Bulldog. Bros would also have to take care of the Bank to be safe.

Big game this weekend Bulldog. Wests would have been a shoe-in a few weeks back, but Bros have found some form, so it's back to 50/50, I reckon. Pleasing to watch Bros get a win against Souths last weekend.

Tupou has been selected in the extended Wallabies squad, wonder how much club footy he'll miss.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes, you're right Bulldog. Bros would also have to take care of the Bank to be safe.

Big game this weekend Bulldog. Wests would have been a shoe-in a few weeks back, but Bros have found some form, so it's back to 50/50, I reckon. Pleasing to watch Bros get a win against Souths last weekend.

Tupou has been selected in the extended Wallabies squad, wonder how much club footy he'll miss.

Hopefully, this Saturday ;)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'll never forget when I first saw Tongan Thor play. It was on the livestream of the Souths vs Brothers playoff game 2 years ago. I said to myself "damn this outside centre is a big unit" took me awhile to realise the 13 on his back was actually just a 1 or 3. He was basically a YouTube blur. The kid had great movement for a prop. Was very impressed. All the best at wallabies camp.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yes, good to see Magnay get an opportunity. Makes you wonder whether the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.
The QRU offers Magnay a shitty contract forcing his hand oversea's and then the ARU invites him into camp.
FUBAR timing on the ARU and QRU if they are serious about him.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
This is a massive round for a number of teams with the race for fourth spot hotting up. It could also be very important for a number of coaches holding on to their positions for next year. Is the any word on comings and goings?
Bond, Souths, Norths, Easts?

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
This is a massive round for a number of teams with the race for fourth spot hotting up. It could also be very important for a number of coaches holding on to their positions for next year. Is the any word on comings and goings?
Bond, Souths, Norths, Easts?

The only team on that list that should be feeling the pinch would be Bond but that would be only be slight because theyve been desperately unlucky in some of their losses this year.
Bit rough to single out Souths, their head coach has been in the role for a year?
Easts are a surprise as many expected them to do better.
I wont comment on Norths in case I get hounded by all the Wests fanboys again *Eye Roll*

Overall its been a great comp this year - high quality or not - its actually good to see the lesser lights have their moments in the sun!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not a lot of talk about the 'Game of the Round' Jeeps taking on University at Yoku Rd. Could Jeeps do the impossible? I think they are within a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.