• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yes, good to see Magnay get an opportunity. Makes you wonder whether the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.
The QRU offers Magnay a shitty contract forcing his hand oversea's and then the ARU invites him into camp.
FUBAR timing on the ARU and QRU if they are serious about him.

Where did you hear this?
QRU didn't force him overseas, and by all accounts he is ready to re-sign with the QRU but the ARU are stepping in because they no longer want players taking their off-season in Japan...

T

TOCC

Yes, you're right Bulldog. Bros would also have to take care of the Bank to be safe.

Big game this weekend Bulldog. Wests would have been a shoe-in a few weeks back, but Bros have found some form, so it's back to 50/50, I reckon. Pleasing to watch Bros get a win against Souths last weekend.

Tupou has been selected in the extended Wallabies squad, wonder how much club footy he'll miss.

I believe all Super Rugby players are on forced holidays for the next 2 weeks, its a byproduct of the start date of the NRC having to shift and the CBA requirements for the number of weeks holiday a year a player is supposed to take. So now instead of taking their holidays post-NRC, they have to take it post-Super Rugby

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe all Super Rugby players are on forced holidays for the next 2 weeks, its a byproduct of the start date of the NRC having to shift and the CBA requirements for the number of weeks holiday a year a player is supposed to take. So now instead of taking their holidays post-NRC, they have to take it post-Super Rugby
Not all, Mafi (Bond), Hewat (Norths albeit portion of a game) are playing however Stewart (Bond) is not named on a team sheet, IMO who needs plenty Prem time, is off this weekend? Haven't had a good look at all the teams but there may be more playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Not all, Mafi (Bond), Hewat (Norths albeit portion of a game) are playing however Stewart (Bond) is not named on a team sheet, IMO who needs plenty Prem time, is off this weekend? Haven't had a good look at all the teams but there may be more playing.

I think there are some slight variations between players depending on how much game time they've had this year and whether they were involved in the Super Rugby squad or the U20s squad. Some players in the U20s may have taken a weeks holiday earlier in the season when the Super Rugby players didn't.

Broadly, i don't think you will see the likes of Quade, Paia'aua, Tuttle etc playing club rugby this weekend due to the CBA reasons.

underthesticks

Bob McCowan (2)
I think there are some slight variations between players depending on how much game time they've had this year and whether they were involved in the Super Rugby squad or the U20s squad. Some players in the U20s may have taken a weeks holiday earlier in the season when the Super Rugby players didn't.

Broadly, i don't think you will see the likes of Quade, Paia'aua, Tuttle etc playing club rugby this weekend due to the CBA reasons.

Paia'aua is playing in the CQ rugby comp for Rockhampton Brothers tomorrow, unsure on how much game time etc.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched a great advertisement for Premier club rugby at Yoku Rd today with GPS ending Uni's undefeated run 45-42 getting up in the last minute. It was a great finish to a great game on a great day with a great crowd.
GPS' scrum was at its devastating best today and won them the game. The Uni front row will need the rest of the week to extract their heads from their own backsides. The Uni backs were at their brilliant best. I don't think I have seen such collective pace in a backline for many years.
The difference in method in scoring tries was marked. GPS scored tries from a lot of hard work yet the Uni tries seemed quite easy. GPS need to tighten up their mid-field defence and re-arrange their broken play defence next time they meet however I don't think Uni can fix the scrum problem by then such was the power scrum GPS put on today

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Doggies got up against Bros this arvo at Scifleet.
Taniela a standout for Bros even with a yellow card for a shoulder charge. Without him not sure how Bros would have scored.
Great day at Scifleet for Doggies old boys day with a a win also in Prem reserves but a last minute loss in Colts

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Congratulations to Wests on their win.

I thought Brothers played quite well today with Tupou firing on all cylinders, but Wests were too good. Their offloading and support play proved the difference.

The whole Wests backline was in form. Maranta, #9 and both wingers played well. They do deserve to be in the Top 4!

For Brothers, obviously Tupou added a lot. However, Latu (the enormous lock) was sensational with a number of solid runs, Qld Reds keep an eye on this bloke!!

Obviously the season is over for the Brethren. Not an ideal year finishing out of the four, but with the amount of young cattle coming through, a promising result is hopefully awaiting us in the near future.

I did managed to watch Premier Colts which was a very close battle. Brothers secured the win late with a penalty, the result didn't go our way in Reggies.

On a side note: I did tip Jeeps to beat UQ. Wouldn't disregard this Jeeps side. With Matho at the helm along with the strong forward pack, this team could give Wests, The Bank and University a few headaches in the finals.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing I forgot to mention above. Former Wallaby Mark Chisolm donned the Green and Gold tonight for the Dogs. Which was great to see.

Wish Brothers got the notice, we would have ran on Ealesy!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am nearly ready to call it.

Wests 35
Easts 30

Scenario for Wests to miss the 4:
Easts d GPS with a BP (a tough ask for the Tigers); AND
Norths beat Wests by >7 points (I.e. Wests no BP).

I will call it - I think Wests are home!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am nearly ready to call it.

Wests 35
Easts 30

Scenario for Wests to miss the 4:
Easts d GPS with a BP (a tough ask for the Tigers); AND
Norths beat Wests by >7 points (I.e. Wests no BP).

I will call it - I think Wests are home!!

If both teams finish on the same amount of competition points then surely they must use total wins over points differential?

If they use total wins then Wests has already advance if they use points differential then Easts could still advance in your scenario above with points differential going their way

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
One thing I forgot to mention above. Former Wallaby Mark Chisolm donned the Green and Gold tonight for the Dogs. Which was great to see.

Wish Brothers got the notice, we would have ran on Ealesy!

Yeah I blinked twiced and pinched myself when I saw Chisholm run out.

He was the perfect solution for what Latu and that forward pack was doing after halftime by marching the ball with ease with pick & drives

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Wests scored 5 trys which gives them a bonus point and puts them on 36 points. And easts stay on 30.

It's a new bonus point system this year. You must defeat your opponent by 3 try scoreline to pick up the bonus point victory.

It's why Easts have a monumental task next weekend to beat GPS by 3 tries and hope that Norths beat Wests by 8 points

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
The end of the UQ-GPS game was incredible. Big kudos to the Jeeps winger for reminding the ref of the penalty advantage.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
The end of the UQ-GPS game was incredible. Big kudos to the Jeeps winger for reminding the ref of the penalty advantage.

My information is that the Referee was aware of the advantage and was about to walk over to signal it on the mark when the GPS winger got in his way. I understand that the GPS 11 was actually questioning the decision on the knock-on versus the ball being placed on the line and being awarded a try. You will note that the Referee gave no intention of signalling full time at the conclusion of his signal for the knock-on, he was always going to head back to the mark.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
The final 4 has been decided.

1. UQ
2. GPS
3. Sunnybank
4. Wests

Congratulations to Wests on a great turn around in 12 months.
For those thinking easts are still in the hunt please read below.

IMG_1395.PNG
IMG_1400.JPG

Basically Wests go through regardless of the outcome of this weekends games because they have more wins than Easts

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Top 10 Recruits of Premier Rugby 2017:

1. Laione Mulikihaamea (GPS)
With GPS posing the most dominant scrum in the comp, it has allowed the Gallopers front football that they require to unleash a backline full of talent. Laione has been a major factor in this and thus I believe is the top recruit of 2017

2. AJ Alatimu (GPS)
Due to the GPS scrum, AJ Alatimu has been able to control games as he wants to this season. His calm approach and wonderful kicking game is another major reason why GPS sit 2nd on the ladder. With QLD rugby screaming for an experienced flyhalf for life after Cooper, you could do worse than pick Alatimu

3. Eddy Fidow (Wests)
Arguably the most entertaining and exciting back in Queensland Premier Rugby. Fidows speed and attack prowess have proved a god send for a new look Bulldogs in 2017. Was leading try scorer early on in the season before injury setbacks and after being invited to train with the reds during the test window, expect to see the ex Samoan 7s player in professional rugby soon

4. Lachlan Maranta (Wests)
The former Brisbane Bronco has been a welcome addition to the Bulldogs in 2017, providing much needed stability in a backline featuring a lot of raw talent. Although unlucky to not play more super rugby this year, Maranta has proved to be so valuable to the Bulldogs in both defence and attack.

5. Shane Tasi (Norths)
The former Sunnybank dragon returned home to the Nest in 2017 and has seemed to reclaim his 2014 form at the bank. A surprising positional change from hooker to Number 8 has proved a master stroke with Tasi dominating in attack and proving to be a go to man. Back to back winner of the True Protein High Performer proves his credentials.

6. Logan Tibbetts (Easts)
Tibbetts joined the tigers from Norths in 2017 and has made the number 10 jersey his own. With easts looking to replace the "Ever Reliable" Matt Brandon, I believe they've found a gem in Tibbetts. Easts just narrowly missed out on finals this year, but can look forward to 2018 with Tibbetts running the show

7. Tonga Maafu (Norths)
The big ball running front rower also returned home to the Eagles nest after spending the last 3 season at Stade de Heavy. Maafu has been instrumental for Norths this season and has proved to be a handful for all opposition this year with his dynamic and explosive ball carries, especially inside the 22.

8. Dillon Wihongi (Wests)
The former New Zealand Schoolboy captain has found a home at The kennel since moving across the ditch in 2017. Took a few rounds to find his feet, however since the halfway mark of the season in my opinion has been the standout Number 8 in the competition with explosive carries and some fancy footwork. If the Bulldogs can hold onto Wihongi for years to come, the wins will keep coming

9. Alfonso Horomia (Easts)
The former dragon joined brother Josef at easts this year and hasn't looked back. Horomia has been a rock in the middle for the tigers with strong line bending ball carries off set piece laying a wonderful platform for the rest of the team. He has certainly filled a void left by injured star Matt Gordon. Forming a strong centre partnership with Toby White, Easts will hope that this continuity will allow for a strong 2018 campaign.

10. Garrath Ryan (Brothers)
Since the departures of stalwarts Adam Bennie and Adrian Dixon as well as young gun Tom Moloney, brothers have been looking for an able replacement and have found one in former Eagle, Garrath Ryan. In what was a disappointing 2017 season after a premiership in 2016, Brothers have been finding their feet in a side mixed with youth and experience. Ryan had been a handy acquisition in the scrum and will look to start dominating in 2018.

Let me know your thoughts. Anyone I have missed or unlucky to miss out?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Top 10 Recruits of Premier Rugby 2017:

1. Laione Mulikihaamea (GPS)
With GPS posing the most dominant scrum in the comp, it has allowed the Gallopers front football that they require to unleash a backline full of talent. Laione has been a major factor in this and thus I believe is the top recruit of 2017

2. AJ Alatimu (GPS)
Due to the GPS scrum, AJ Alatimu has been able to control games as he wants to this season. His calm approach and wonderful kicking game is another major reason why GPS sit 2nd on the ladder. With QLD rugby screaming for an experienced flyhalf for life after Cooper, you could do worse than pick Alatimu

3. Eddy Fidow (Wests)
Arguably the most entertaining and exciting back in Queensland Premier Rugby. Fidows speed and attack prowess have proved a god send for a new look Bulldogs in 2017. Was leading try scorer early on in the season before injury setbacks and after being invited to train with the reds during the test window, expect to see the ex Samoan 7s player in professional rugby soon

4. Lachlan Maranta (Wests)
The former Brisbane Bronco has been a welcome addition to the Bulldogs in 2017, providing much needed stability in a backline featuring a lot of raw talent. Although unlucky to not play more super rugby this year, Maranta has proved to be so valuable to the Bulldogs in both defence and attack.

5. Shane Tasi (Norths)
The former Sunnybank dragon returned home to the Nest in 2017 and has seemed to reclaim his 2014 form at the bank. A surprising positional change from hooker to Number 8 has proved a master stroke with Tasi dominating in attack and proving to be a go to man. Back to back winner of the True Protein High Performer proves his credentials.

6. Logan Tibbetts (Easts)
Tibbetts joined the tigers from Norths in 2017 and has made the number 10 jersey his own. With easts looking to replace the "Ever Reliable" Matt Brandon, I believe they've found a gem in Tibbetts. Easts just narrowly missed out on finals this year, but can look forward to 2018 with Tibbetts running the show

7. Tonga Maafu (Norths)
The big ball running front rower also returned home to the Eagles nest after spending the last 3 season at Stade de Heavy. Maafu has been instrumental for Norths this season and has proved to be a handful for all opposition this year with his dynamic and explosive ball carries, especially inside the 22.

8. Dillon Wihongi (Wests)
The former New Zealand Schoolboy captain has found a home at The kennel since moving across the ditch in 2017. Took a few rounds to find his feet, however since the halfway mark of the season in my opinion has been the standout Number 8 in the competition with explosive carries and some fancy footwork. If the Bulldogs can hold onto Wihongi for years to come, the wins will keep coming

9. Alfonso Horomia (Easts)
The former dragon joined brother Josef at easts this year and hasn't looked back. Horomia has been a rock in the middle for the tigers with strong line bending ball carries off set piece laying a wonderful platform for the rest of the team. He has certainly filled a void left by injured star Matt Gordon. Forming a strong centre partnership with Toby White, Easts will hope that this continuity will allow for a strong 2018 campaign.

10. Garrath Ryan (Brothers)
Since the departures of stalwarts Adam Bennie and Adrian Dixon as well as young gun Tom Moloney, brothers have been looking for an able replacement and have found one in former Eagle, Garrath Ryan. In what was a disappointing 2017 season after a premiership in 2016, Brothers have been finding their feet in a side mixed with youth and experience. Ryan had been a handy acquisition in the scrum and will look to start dominating in 2018.

Let me know your thoughts. Anyone I have missed or unlucky to miss out?

Would be a good article for the front page. Would you be open to us putting it up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.