• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Magnificent new facilities at Wests - the envy of all of us.

Why don't we cut some of the emotion out of this question about cost v return and look at the numbers?

Hutchinson say on their website the construction contract was $7.3 million - now one of those who claims to be involved (Homer Dog) says that cost doesn't include fittings or the cost of the new field - that's got to be another $1 million at least. But for arguments sake let's round it down to $8 million cost.

Wests releases have said the cost has been debt funded and the cost is covered by rentals from the businesses in the new building. At say 5% interest (at current rates) that's $400,000 per year in interest. Banks normally want at least 1.5 times interest cover so that implies minimum $600K p.a in net rent from tenants.

They have the restaurant and the physio /medical suites renting from them. Does that make up $600k p.a? Must do so or the bank wouldn't have lent them the money in the first place.

But that sounds like a massive rental for those businesses!

However, assuming they are paying $600k p.a. that would mean a surplus of $200k p.a. (after interest) to pay off $8 million in debt or 40 years repayment time.

Of course if the interest rate moves up 1% p.a it adds another 26 years to the repayment plan!

If interest rates jump by 2.5% p.a. from where they are today the surplus would evaporate completely so no repayment possible.

Does anyone think an interest rate of 7.5% p.a. is out of the question on commercial loans over next couple of years?

Must be some business plan to cover interest costs of $400k and more!

Then again Wests own website says the redevelopment cost was $10 million. Re-do my numbers based on a $10 million debt and the interest cost alone is pretty big!

Well done that they have pulled it off but I agree with Rugby Reg - it will be interesting for all rugby clubs in the country (amateur and professional) to see how this works.

Look forward to seeing Wests annual report for 2017 where all will be revealed as to rental amount and cost of the debt.

In the meantime, I bet all teams will enjoy playing in what is now clearly the best facility in QPR.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Homer dog... Chill man!
TOCC thanks for sharing the photos.

What club do you think is next in line for facility upgrades? The tigers have the best field layout but their clubhouse only faces one oval... imagine that ground having a 360 degree balcony.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Homer dog. Chill man!

What club do you think is next in line for facility upgrades? The tigers have the best field layout but their clubhouse only faces one oval. imagine that ground having a 360 degree balcony.
Bond may be looking at doing some upgrades, not sure when though and not nearly as lavish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Homer dog. Chill man!

What club do you think is next in line for facility upgrades? The tigers have the best field layout but their clubhouse only faces one oval. imagine that ground having a 360 degree balcony.

I hadn't considered a balcony all around, that would be great at Easts. Can't see it being affordable for Easts but good on Wests - that new setup looks fantastic. Are West Bulldogs the only sporting club using the grounds? Easts share some of the fields with the cricket club (which limits ground use at the start of the season).

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
And there is always the approach of selling out - see link re Eastwood sale of TG Millner facility:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...r-oval-to-north-ryde-rsl-20170220-gugtb9.html

All clubs need to look into alternative income streams to support the future of their club because the ARU/QRU can't and won't prop them up in the future. Again smart work by the Wests board to identify this and take steps to secure the club's future.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Magnificent new facilities at Wests - the envy of all of us.

Why don't we cut some of the emotion out of this question about cost v return and look at the numbers?

Hutchinson say on their website the construction contract was $7.3 million - now one of those who claims to be involved (Homer Dog) says that cost doesn't include fittings or the cost of the new field - that's got to be another $1 million at least. But for arguments sake let's round it down to $8 million cost.

Wests releases have said the cost has been debt funded and the cost is covered by rentals from the businesses in the new building. At say 5% interest (at current rates) that's $400,000 per year in interest. Banks normally want at least 1.5 times interest cover so that implies minimum $600K p.a in net rent from tenants.

They have the restaurant and the physio /medical suites renting from them. Does that make up $600k p.a? Must do so or the bank wouldn't have lent them the money in the first place.

But that sounds like a massive rental for those businesses!

However, assuming they are paying $600k p.a. that would mean a surplus of $200k p.a. (after interest) to pay off $8 million in debt or 40 years repayment time.

Of course if the interest rate moves up 1% p.a it adds another 26 years to the repayment plan!

If interest rates jump by 2.5% p.a. from where they are today the surplus would evaporate completely so no repayment possible.

Does anyone think an interest rate of 7.5% p.a. is out of the question on commercial loans over next couple of years?

Must be some business plan to cover interest costs of $400k and more!

Then again Wests own website says the redevelopment cost was $10 million. Re-do my numbers based on a $10 million debt and the interest cost alone is pretty big!

Well done that they have pulled it off but I agree with Rugby Reg - it will be interesting for all rugby clubs in the country (amateur and professional) to see how this works.

Look forward to seeing Wests annual report for 2017 where all will be revealed as to rental amount and cost of the debt.

In the meantime, I bet all teams will enjoy playing in what is now clearly the best facility in QPR.

How many tenants do they have?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm fascinated by the Wests facilities. Awesome product for a rugby club.

Like others, I'd love a quick overview of the business plan, no intent at all to be critical, its an impressive achievement.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm fascinated by the Wests facilities. Awesome product for a rugby club.

Like others, I'd love a quick overview of the business plan, no intent at all to be critical, its an impressive achievement.

Absolutely would like to have a look at it. Seriously, if it's solid enough to both find the finances to build this facility and the necessary income needed to pay for it then its something that needs to be proliferated right across the game.

We need a lot more co-operation and collaboration in the game if we are to not only survive but prosper. Seriously, if Wests have something genuinely game changing sharing it can only make the game stronger.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If Homer didn't like the figure that I quoted form Hutchinsons, then he could have said so politely, he said he had the facts and I asked him to contribute more. Yeah I've had a shit day, so I've bit more then I should have.

I haven't been apart of Wests for years now, but I'm well aware of how Hutchies can operate in these types of buids (don't forget Hutchies HQ is 500 metres away from Wests) Essentially they do the build at 'cost' or close to it. So, the $7million they quoted may in fact be the true value of the build, Wests could have paid say $5-6million.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hope this helps anyone interested, the development process is legislated & public, so you can use the BCC’s free PD Online tool to look at the process, applications, plans etc. There is a massive amount of professional planning & design involved just in the application phase alone. It looks like 2 parties had a crack at Wests through Planning & Environment Court, 1 dismissed & the other discontinued so it wasn’t plain sailing. Geez well done Wests boys - fantastic.

For council’s PDOnline hit the link below, agree to terms & cond, then search by Application Number which is A003998096

https://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/masterviewUI/modules/ApplicationMaster/default.aspx?page=search

The activities applied for were:
Outdoor Sport and Recreation, Indoor Sport and Recreation, Club, Function Facility, Health Care Services, Office, Food and Drink Outlet – so there’s the areas for revenue as well. Debt financing was mentioned before but I would say someone maximised Government Grant applications or private funding as well so maybe the debt is nowhere near as high – sorry just guessing here but an accumulation of different funding sources is the point.

So then you have Café Food & Drink, commercial tenants XRadiology & XPhysio, prob long term, & also the function centre. A mate said recently he’d hired the function for a 21st & it was well booked.

The tenants seem to be a good fit as well, this was on their website: “The St.George Queensland Reds play in one of the most demanding competitions in world Rugby and XRadiology provide quality scans and reports which are vital to helping our medical staff manage the players through the season. XRadiology staff are professional and accommodating to our needs. Their support is crucial to the Reds." Dr. Chris Thomas. Team Doctor, St.George Queensland Reds.

Guys I had notjing to do with the process - just interested & would love to see it replicated through Aus rugby.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not long now........
16807078_1345634085500381_604888825489810394_n.jpg

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So then you have Café Food & Drink, commercial tenants XRadiology & XPhysio, prob long term, & also the function centre. A mate said recently he’d hired the function for a 21st & it was well booked.

Knowing the demographic that plays Rugby, this would seem like an easy and ideal way for the clubs to have a booked out function centre every weekend. With how many blokes are part of the club, you could almost bank on having an 18th or 21st at the club every Friday or Saturday night. That's easy money for the club to make (and if it's concrete floor you can just hose out the floors every night ;)).

The cafe at Wests should also do pretty well, the amount of people who park at Wests at 5am, go for a ride and then return is quite staggering. Not to mention, Slyvan Rd is probably one of the busiest roads for bike traffic they should be able to really rake in the early morning surge.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Brothers team to play Northern Suburbs:

1. Gareth Ryan
2. Francois Postal
3. Dustin Henegan
4. Dan Liddy
5. Ted Postal
6. Harry Symes
7. Henry Fitzgerald
8. Criff Tupou
9. Reuben Wall
10. Patrick James
11. Will Shipperley
12. Nathanuel Gendle
13. Elih Baillie
14. George Partridge
15. Mitch Felsman

16. Jake Gagel
17. Taniela Tupou
18. Latrell Soli
19. Lukhan Tui
20. Rhys Martin
21. James Briskie
22. Lawson Creighton
23. Jeremiah Skelton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Norths

1. Ezra Luxton
2. Sam Kitchen
3. Alain Miriallakis
4. Kioa Tuitakau
5. James Brown
6. Michael Smith
7. William Miller
8. Hugh Sinclair
9. Harry Emery
10. Harry Burey
11. Lachlan Creagh
12. Con Foley
13. Jordan Heyer
14. Richard Woolf
15. Josh Kay

Reserves: Geoff Wells, Gary Bautz, Tyron Rota, George Murrin, Taylor Francis, Ryan Hough, Blake Murray, Jack Clancy.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
[1. Ezra Luxton
2. Sam Kitchen
3. Alain Miriallakis
4. Kioa Tuitakau
5. James Brown
6. Michael Smith
7. William Miller
8. Hugh Sinclair
9. Harry Emery
10. Harry Burey
11. Lachlan Creagh
12. Con Foley
13. Jordan Heyer
14. Richard Woolf
15. Josh Kay

Reserves: Geoff Wells, Gary Bautz, Tyron Rota, George Murrin, Taylor Francis, Ryan Hough, Blake Murray, Jack Clancy.[/quote]

Looks like a pretty good team; notable missing from the grand final last year are the 9,10,12 and 13. Is that a concern for Norths??
That said they maintain their very efficient combination of 5,6,7 and 8.

Brothers are missing a few as well notably the 7,8,9 and 10 from last years gf. However there appears to be some experience for a couple of those positions (8 & 10) with a younger 9. Brothers will miss S Hunt, who had a great gf last year; With Patty James to fill this position at 10 (he's no mug) Brothers will also have a good side. A few of last years prem colts (3) in the Brothers line-up.

Will be a very close match. Maybe the depth of Brothers will be a crucial factor!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests have Maranta for the Souths trial tomorrow.

I know it's only a trial but I really hope the boys can kick the season off with a solid performance.

Will be interesting to see how strong Souths will be - they always seem to turn over a lot of players from season to season but clearly have been the real deal in 2015 & 2016.

With Moses now at the club I'm predicting that there will be a strong Fijian contingent at Yeronga this year.

Good luck to Bros tomorrow and let the games begin.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So apparently Wests will be hosting a NSW U20's vs QLD U20's match during Round 1 18/3 of the Qld Premier Competition.

The Colts play normal time 12pm.
Then the U20 interstate match.
Premier Reserves bumped to 330pm
Premiers @ 515pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will be the match of the round (simply because i think the NSW vs QLD match will be broadcasted on Reds TV)

Status
Not open for further replies.