• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Losing that 2013 Grand Final was a real stab in the heart for the club, I agree there was nearly too much expectation to win (I mean the side did have Kerevi, Kuridrani, Frisby, Sean McMahon and Phil Kite to name a few who became full-time pros) and I think the club has learnt from that.

There is a lot of hype brewing for Sunday but I feel like it's excitement more than pressure to win.

The Perth guys have certaintly made a big difference and along with Matho brought a different aura of professioanlism to the team, but it's great to see the guys who have been there for years stepping up in these games.

Interesting if Nabuli plays for GPS - I don't think the current wingers can play fullback, might move Frisby to 15, Tuttle to 9, shift everyone in with Kuridrani at 13 to fit Nabuli on the wing. Will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to the weekend, good luck to everyone.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I still think there will be a lot of historical expectation on GPS - don't write off Uni - you only have to look at some of the point scoring damage that the likes of Parker, Pincus possessed in those recent GF clips to appreciate that the current Uni backline will at some stage of the GF cause GPS some issues.

One questions whether bringing a guy into play his first game of the season in a GF is the way to go? Sometimes it is better to stick with the guys that got you there - having said this Nabuli will probably win the Tony Shaw medal.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I heard Alan Jones on the radio talking about the Shute Shield final between Manly & Warringah - expected crowd of 10,000 - similar to QPR final.

Interesting though he raised a conversation in the last year or two between the Warringah Rats President and Bill Pulver - Pulver apparently said to him that we won't give money to club rugby because "you will just piss it up against the wall"!!!

No wonder the game is in a very delicate position at present.

It will be very interesting to see how many they get to the Bledisloe this Saturday.

scrumanchor

Bob McCowan (2)
I heard Alan Jones on the radio talking about the Shute Shield final between Manly & Warringah - expected crowd of 10,000 - similar to QPR final.

Interesting though he raised a conversation in the last year or two between the Warringah Rats President and Bill Pulver - Pulver apparently said to him that we won't give money to club rugby because "you will just piss it up against the wall"!!!

It will be very interesting to see how many they get to the Bledisloe this Saturday.

If that was his attitude how the hell did that guy become the head of ARU. No wonder our game is in such dire straights!

I have tickets to the Brisbane Bledisloe so I too will be interested in the crowd numbers for the first test, see how much this sacking the force has affected the masses.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Booked my tickets and looking forward to a great game.

Lets hope the QRU don't rope off the middle of the hill so no one can there as they did last year; fucking hopeless.

'Carn Heavies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I can't believe Pulver still gets grilled for this. Most of the SS teams were paying blokes to play. It was happening here in Brisbane too. How do you think the Stingrays made the GF in 2010? Look, I want more funding to Club rugby but the way it was being handled didn't give back anything.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
correct Jimmy. There was the great story about one of the BRisbane clubs spending a large chunk of their funding on camping equipment so that they could house an incoming team who were touring later that year at their club to save them accommodation.

The funding originally brought in, was in the mid 90s, which was for clubs to appoint General Managers to help drive the governance and strategic direction of those clubs. Well a lot of those GMs ended up just cooking BBQs and picking up bottle caps each weekend because the Vollies thought that was their job.

In the end the QRU/ARU were just as complicit in not seeting KPIs etc.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
correct Jimmy. There was the great story about one of the BRisbane clubs spending a large chunk of their funding on camping equipment so that they could house an incoming team who were touring later that year at their club to save them accommodation.

The funding originally brought in, was in the mid 90s, which was for clubs to appoint General Managers to help drive the governance and strategic direction of those clubs. Well a lot of those GMs ended up just cooking BBQs and picking up bottle caps each weekend because the Vollies thought that was their job.

In the end the QRU/ARU were just as complicit in not seeting KPIs etc.

Great last line Reg. Accountability is key.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Should be a great weekend of GF footy coming up over the next two days. Just wondering if the wind will have an impact? Could we have a repeat of the GF between Souths and Wests a number of years back where the wind was worth at least 30 points?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are GPS going to wear Western Force jerseys on Sunday in honour of the fact that half their side have links to the exiled Perth club!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.