• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Historically (2011-17) number of wins/points to make finals v currently (to Round 16):

1st: 13.6 wins; 65.7 points => Uni 10; 48;
2nd: 11.4; 57.7 => GPS 10; 47;
3rd: 10.7; 54.0 => Easts 9; 41;
4th: 10.0; 50.3 => Souths 8; 41;
5th: => Bond 8; 40;

Fair to say that wins & points will be down in 2018 on previous years due to number of wins in 2018 by teams 5th-9th.

Points could also be down due to the change in the try BP from 4T to >3T this year.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
As for the race for the spoon:

Norths 24 - Bros; Bond;
Wests 23 - Easts; Bros;
Brothers 21 - Norths; Wests;
Sunnybank 21 - Souths; Bye

I am prepared to call that Norths, Wests & Bros are safe - Sunnybank will get the spoon.

Apologies to all @ Albion for wishing the spoon upon them (it was mostly tongue and cheek - most of what I post is essentially T&C with some intent from time to time - I don't mean to upset people) - Brothers have really rallied with fear of the spoon and credit to them for knocking off Souths recently - still plenty to play for at Sci-Fleet in round 18 though - both clubs would love to finish the season with the Pilecki-Shaw trophy.

Here I go again about QRU incompetence but Norths about to back up for the 5th straight week to another team coming in fresh off a bye - quite possibly the difference between them and Easts last weekend. It’s an extremely big disadvantage and whoever did the scheduling has performed poorly.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here I go again about QRU incompetence but Norths about to back up for the 5th straight week to another team coming in fresh off a bye - quite possibly the difference between them and Easts last weekend. It’s an extremely big disadvantage and whoever did the scheduling has performed poorly.

Oracle possibly you could take a glass half full approach to this - conceivably teams could be a bit off after the week break.

When finals roll around in the next few weeks we will be talking about whether it is really beneficial to have a week off or to play ever week?

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
It would be a challenge always playing a team who are well rested, not training with game soreness (in the second week) and having two weeks to prepare for the match each round. I think last year's draw was a lot fairer and I'm not really sure why they would run this model this season. Finals are about momentum and a bit of luck and sometimes the week off can be a disadvantage but playing the team off the bye for 13 of the 16 weeks is something I'm glad we didn't have to deal with this year and is probably a little unjust. I can appreciate your displeasure Oracle83 maybe next year you will get some luck. You guys should be pretty happy with your season though, the club is really building and your Prems side has been very competitive this season especially at home. From memory did you beat Souths after your bye? You might have something there after all!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know any Premier Rugby players who might want a shot at the next level may see this as an option.

Attachments

• Club and Union Referal Letter 9.07.18.pdf
    875.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Club and Union Referal Letter 9.07.18.pdf
    875.6 KB · Views: 270

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Anyone know any Premier Rugby players who might want a shot at the next level may see this as an option.

Took alook at this late last night Reg but was confused. I thought itsays that they have to have applied by the 12th of July?

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
It would be a challenge always playing a team who are well rested, not training with game soreness (in the second week) and having two weeks to prepare for the match each round. I think last year's draw was a lot fairer and I'm not really sure why they would run this model this season. Finals are about momentum and a bit of luck and sometimes the week off can be a disadvantage but playing the team off the bye for 13 of the 16 weeks is something I'm glad we didn't have to deal with this year and is probably a little unjust. I can appreciate your displeasure Oracle83 maybe next year you will get some luck. You guys should be pretty happy with your season though, the club is really building and your Prems side has been very competitive this season especially at home. From memory did you beat Souths after your bye? You might have something there after all!

Cheers Leagaleagle actually I am just a club rugby fan - Reds have sort of lost me until they reall y consistently start digging in - we see what they are capable of when they do. played all my club junior and open rugby at West’s n Uni but Norths are local so I pop down there for the odd game. They aren’t my team but I agree with you and from what I have seen of them this year all things being equal they would have finished with more wins for sure - they struggle in the last 20mins.

Chitto would have been very useful too for these last few games with Duncan back from Reds but an unpenalised illegal tackle from a Souths player saw the end of that.

It will take something special to keep the Spoon out of Sunnybank.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
If Sunnybank win and Wests beat Easts this weekend, this still leaves 1pt between 3rd and 5th.

Makes the following games on Saturday 28 Jul very interesting.
Easts vs GPS
Souths vs Uni
Bond vs North's

If Easts win at home this weekend (which I think they will) and South's slip up (maybe), Potentially South's could miss out on the finals (I cant see South's beating Uni)

Would this then be considered a devastating year for South's as they talked up their playing list at the beginning of the year and at every home game?

With Bond finding some excellent form at the end of the season, could they be a smokey for the premiership (if they get in)

So many outcomes with only 2 games to go. This is really healthy for the comp :)

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Was at Souths and gps, Quade Cooper was simply awful . On that performance Brad thorn is 100% right

Well, it was one of his mixed bag games, pulled off some stuff no one else can, made some big tackles, missed a few tackles & made some game changing stuff ups. It's the risk v reward that comes with QC (Quade Cooper) territory, some love it, me included, some hate it.
But yeah, I agree. It's why he's not playing at the higher level.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Penguin - as a matter of interest - how have you rated Karmichael Hunt's contribution in his first two games for the Magpies?

Do you think that QC (Quade Cooper) & KH will play for BC in the NRC? (Apologies for all of the acronyms!!)

More so do you think that they would even want to?

If they don't who will BC play at #10, #12 or #15? Given Hamish Stewart, Duncan Paia'aua, James Tuttle, Matt Gordon, etc have all run out for Qld Country in previous years.

That leaves you with the likes of James Dalglish, Izzac Lucas, Jake Strachan in line for those BC spots - whilst all are outstanding contributors to QPR they probably aren't up to leading a side to an NRC title. Maybe Lachie Maranta or Brett Gillespie might have to sure up the BC midfield. Would Dion Taumata get a look in?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its probably a discussion for an NRC teams thread, but there is precedent of players switch teams (country and city) year to year.

But with 10 Stewart 12 Paia'aua and 15 perhaps Daugunu (we need to find a quality fullback) perhaps we will see something like

10 Strachan 12 Jooste 15 Ngamanu

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair enough and yes blokes have switched between the two Qld NRC teams - I think Sam Greene played for QC (Quade Cooper) and later BC in the first year.

I am old fashioned fan and don't like seeing players switch clubs.

On that front if Izzy switch to the Reds next year - I wonder which QPR he would register with - I appreciate that it is just academic because he is unlikely ever to run out for his chosen club - mind you he plays his best rugby wearing Green and Gold!!!

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sunnybank's "special" = beat Souths this weekend.
Sunia Finefeuiaki has been suspended for 3 games after his hit on Horomia last weekend (I'm not sure if Horomia received a sanction for his part) and Farrell is still out so that helps Sunnybank.
I imagine Teti Tela will be back into 12 for the Magpies though

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
How is GPS v UQ not the Match of the Round this weekend? 1 v 2 would be a far better spectacle than 6 v 8. Doesn't make sense. Has Sunnybank had a Fox game yet?

TJP

Allen Oxlade (6)
How is GPS v UQ not the Match of the Round this weekend? 1 v 2 would be a far better spectacle than 6 v 8. Doesn't make sense. Has Sunnybank had a Fox game yet?
I can understand the need to 'share the love' in the first half of the season but at this time of the season, the games that feature the top teams should take preference. GPS have featured in the last 2 'Match of the Round' fixtures which may be why they aren't this week. Like you said though ,1 v 2 & the Buner Bowl on the line, surely this game should be featured

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can understand the need to 'share the love' in the first half of the season but at this time of the season, the games that feature the top teams should take preference. GPS have featured in the last 2 'Match of the Round' fixtures which may be why they aren't this week. Like you said though ,1 v 2 & the Buner Bowl on the line, surely this game should be featured

Brothers v Norths is Match of the Round because each team needs to be on Fox at least once.

QRU have noted the importance of GPS v UQ though and will make that co-Match of the Round by having commentary for that match too (won't be on fox). Unfortunately it seems they may have a dud commentary team for the UQ v GPS match

Status
Not open for further replies.