• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Another tough week on the tips. Some clever people out there managed a perfect round, so massive respect to RAF, Happyman, Pick n Drive, and new recruit_brisbane.

RAF 22
Rugby Follower 22
Beer Baron 21
Nomad 21
Rugby Reg 21
GirtbySea 20
Jets 20
Sage Too 20
Dark Shark 19
Getwithme 19
Happyman 19
Pick n drive 19
Southernx 18
Cam Goddard 17
DB 17
Hennaz 17
Hound 17
Keeno 17
new recruit_ brisbane 16
nmpc 16
Paty305 16
Robbitybob 16
jimmy.crouch 13
eldiablo 10
Lovemyclubfooty 8
Beerad 6
East Coast Aces 6
Jeeper 6
manwithcaninhand 6
Phatmic 5
David 4
heavy unit 4
Loveclubrugby 4
FigJam 3
J Cole 3
Magpie for me 3
Mr Grump 3
Shane T 3
Throbber 2
Bulldog 1
Thanks for this jets. It is a nice even comp when the best tipster in our group is picking at just a tad under 70%. I only lucked on the GPS v Brothers game when I saw the outside centre was picked for the Reds. I think he has been the real influencer for them.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Happyman, pity he didn't get a run on Sat night, would have liked to see how he went .

Thought they might have given him a crack when CFS came off in a straight swap of positions , but went for DP to 12 and Samu out one where he was not as influential IMO.

Kerevi really has developed as a world class #12 this year, hope the bicep he strained on Sat is not a repeat of last year.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Just on Kerevi some more, one thing that genuinely amazes me is that he never takes a step backwards as he climbs through the ranks of professional rugby. Watching him play for GPS years ago was just like watching him play for Reds/Wallabies. I can’t think of another bloke to come through the QPR pathway I guess you’d call it who has been able to turn up the intensity at each level he plays and be so dominant from the word go. Even though he’s no longer with GPS it’s just great to see how well he’s done.

J

JeepsTragic

Just on Kerevi some more, one thing that genuinely amazes me is that he never takes a step backwards as he climbs through the ranks of professional rugby. Watching him play for GPS years ago was just like watching him play for Reds/Wallabies. I can’t think of another bloke to come through the QPR pathway I guess you’d call it who has been able to turn up the intensity at each level he plays and be so dominant from the word go. Even though he’s no longer with GPS it’s just great to see how well he’s done.

Has he ever played a game for Souths? Why did he leave GPS? Its not like he had to leave to break into first grade.

Just interested.

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)
Watching GPS v Brothers clearly shows that these two teams stand out from the rest at the moment IMO. Yes, Brothers did grind there way to half time and were out played in the second half but with Wilson, Wood & McReight to come back they will be a different team in the second round of games and finals. Both halves looked excellent giving both teams an opportunity to attack with quick clean ball which was great to see. Maybe just maybe this is just a taste of a GF to come.

On a side note, it was great to see a referee simply allowing the players sort out the game themselves and be able to play their style of footy. The young lad who has been running around for a while in QPR really controlled the game well and interacted positively with the players. Maybe some other referees can take some learning from this because other games I have seen both in QPR and Super simply are chocked to death by refereeing and barely any rugby is played.

Reactions: vac

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah Brothers were completely outgunned on the week end JC (^^^) made some good points. This is a bit of a treacherous time for those clubs with high representative duties (Brothers, UQ, Souths & Wests) and ofc injuries (Easts). Depth of the club hopefully will come to the fore and needs to for all of these clubs. I think GPS are almost at the top of their game. I think Tuttle is out for the season (?) and the Smith brothers make regular appearances for the club. Hegarty is the most notable addition to their ranks. So the rest of the competition pretty much knows how high the bar is. Just a matter of having the cattle and the ability to jump over that hurdle.

Logistically speaking in the next 5 rounds depth is required: we have the end of the Reds season (15th June, first available on 22nd of June Round 13), the Junior World Cup (22nd June, first available 29th June R14) and ofc the World Cup. This may reshape the competition as it stands now. The potentially largest recipients, upon the return of players will be UQ, Souths, Brothers and Wests.

Remember the magic number is 42.

So watch out for a change of position in particular, the "wet sail" of UQ and Souths towards the end of the season. My top 4 prediction stands as GPS, Brothers, UQ and Souths or Wests.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Could make for a very interesting second half of QPR then depending on availability with Reds players. The alignments are as followed for those who don't follow as heavily:

Bond
Angus Blyth
Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
Hamish Stewart

Brothers
Harry Hoopert
Fraser McReight
Aidan Toua
Taniela Tupou (Wallabies)
Seb Wileman
Harry Wilson

Easts
Jack Hardy (Injured)
Izack Rodda (Wallabies)
Liam Wright

GPSBryce Hegarty
JP Smith
Ruan Smith
James Tuttle (Injured)

Norths
Matt McGahan
Sefa Naivalu (Overseas)
Duncan Paia'aua (Overseas)

Souths
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Feao Fotuaika
Samu Kerevi (Wallabies)
Scott Malolua
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Wallabies)
Teti Tela
Caleb Timu

Sunnybank
Isaac Lucas
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (Wallabies?)

University
Jock Campbell
Will Eadie
Harry Hockings
Adam Korczyk
Tate McDermott
Angus Scott-Young

Wests
Filipo Daugunu
Scott Higginbotham
Efi Ma'afu (Injured)
Jordan Petaia (Wallabies)
Moses Sorovi

J

JeepsTragic

Watching GPS v Brothers clearly shows that these two teams stand out from the rest at the moment IMO. Yes, Brothers did grind there way to half time and were out played in the second half but with Wilson, Wood & McReight to come back they will be a different team in the second round of games and finals. Both halves looked excellent giving both teams an opportunity to attack with quick clean ball which was great to see. Maybe just maybe this is just a taste of a GF to come.

On a side note, it was great to see a referee simply allowing the players sort out the game themselves and be able to play their style of footy. The young lad who has been running around for a while in QPR really controlled the game well and interacted positively with the players. Maybe some other referees can take some learning from this because other games I have seen both in QPR and Super simply are chocked to death by refereeing and barely any rugby is played.

I wasn't sure about a few decisions but he did let the game flow and it would be great if all refs followed that mantra. I wonder if like the rep players, the comp will get Murphy and Berry back towards the end of the season. I think Berry is outstanding and while I would like to see him back in club rugby, he is probably destined for a bigger stage.

Jason Crosell

Bob McCowan (2)
I wasn't sure about a few decisions but he did let the game flow and it would be great if all refs followed that mantra. I wonder if like the rep players, the comp will get Murphy and Berry back towards the end of the season. I think Berry is outstanding and while I would like to see him back in club rugby, he is probably destined for a bigger stage.

JeepsTragic there are always going to be some decisions that are questionable.. But geee for the sake of a game its nice to see some common sense for a change! I agree it would be great to see the guys like Berry and Murph back but it is also important to reward those that are doing a good job at this level.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If you ever going to dish criticism at a referee from the sideline I encourage you all go to YouTube and watch the replay of the livestream and make your judgements there.

2 weeks ago when Wests played Bond. There was 2 instances that stood out for me where I thought the referee was in the wrong but better footage via cameraman and referees microphone led me to eat crow and agree the referee was right in both instances. One was a penalty try where I thought ref was incorrect to award pushover scrum try (his logic was the backline was in a offside position) the other instance was a Moses Sorevi try where I thought it was a forward pass and yet the video footage clearly showed it bounced off the defender back and towards the tryline.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Could make for a very interesting second half of QPR then depending on availability with Reds players. The alignments are as followed for those who don't follow as heavily:

Bond
Angus Blyth
Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
Hamish Stewart

Brothers
Harry Hoopert
Fraser McReight
Aidan Toua
Taniela Tupou (Wallabies)
Seb Wileman
Harry Wilson

Easts
Jack Hardy (Injured)
Izack Rodda (Wallabies)
Liam Wright

GPSBryce Hegarty
JP Smith
Ruan Smith
James Tuttle (Injured)

Norths
Matt McGahan
Sefa Naivalu (Overseas)
Duncan Paia'aua (Overseas)

Souths
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Feao Fotuaika
Samu Kerevi (Wallabies)
Scott Malolua
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Wallabies)
Teti Tela
Caleb Timu

Sunnybank
Isaac Lucas
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (Wallabies?)

University
Jock Campbell
Will Eadie (Injured)
Harry Hockings
Adam Korczyk
Tate McDermott
Angus Scott-Young

Wests
Filipo Daugunu
Scott Higginbotham
Efi Ma'afu (Injured)
Jordan Petaia (Wallabies)
Moses Sorovi

Out of that list I reckon Brothers will benefit the most out of the Reds/U20's players coming back to them and should finish the season the strongest.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Could include Josh Nasser and Kye Oats back from Aussie U20s for UQ, Eadie definitely gone for the season with an ACL.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Sorry I don't share your opinion of Kerevi being an all time great Reds/Wallaby centre - I'd have Horan, Little, Herbert all ahead of him as they won World Cups, (pre-Super) Provincial Campionships & Club Premierships. Samu not through lack of effort doesn't have any of those titles to speak of - I don't think he even played the first 2 NRC finals when Bris City were triumphant.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry I don't share your opinion of Kerevi being an all time great Reds/Wallaby centre - I'd have Horan, Little, Herbert all ahead of him as they won World Cups, (pre-Super) Provincial Campionships & Club Premierships. Samu not through lack of effort doesn't have any of those titles to speak of - I don't think he even played the first 2 NRC finals when Bris City were triumphant.

Kerevi hangs around a couple more seasons he’d be in the conversation with or without the accolades you mentioned.

How would you look at Little or Horan had they pissed off halfway thru the prime of their careers to take a big payday on offer in France or Japan?

Btw - Kerevi ahead of Herbert by a country mile in my eyes. Can’t believe you even mentioned the name Herbert with those near immortals Little/Horan.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
LD outplayed Scotty Malolua last weekend now Malolua is on the bench for the Reds.

Moses must be dirty. Not getting game time with the Reds then gets dropped the weekend Wests have the bye.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
LD outplayed Scotty Malolua last weekend now Malolua is on the bench for the Reds.

Moses must be dirty. Not getting game time with the Reds then gets dropped the weekend Wests have the bye.

I thought Malolua showed his class and calm head. LD is a better player but was way off his high standards on Saturday

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Btw - Kerevi ahead of Herbert by a country mile in my eyes. Can’t believe you even mentioned the name Herbert with those near immortals Little/Horan.

Maybe so SX but Dan Herbert achieved two things that Kerevi will never achieve win a RWC and a Hospitals Cup with GPS.

Kerevi gets a chance re the RWC in Japan'19 but he will never win a premiership for GPS - blew that chance in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.