• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

J

JeepsTragic

I see Will Genia has been listed on the bench for GPS this weekend. Massive inclusion for them and good to see his Japanese club have released him to play.

Can you post a link? I have looked everywhere and don't know why it is so difficult to find.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
0E45D30F-1076-4377-B043-8536C773CBD4.jpeg

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Easts V GPS at Bottomley will be a cracker in two weeks time. Both teams look to be main contenders for the title.

Of course hosting the Filth next week is always a big day as well and will be a great game.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Easts V GPS at Bottomley will be a cracker in two weeks time. Both teams look to be main contenders for the title.

Of course hosting the Filth next week is always a big day as well and will be a great game.
Might be getting ahead of yourself there Phil .

GPS v Brothers and UQ v Easts will give a fair indication of who’s who in the zoo .

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
With all due respect to this Brothers side currently playing - they will become exponentially better when they get Wilson, McReight, Woods and Flook back. I think they have the most to gain in terms of Super players coming back to QPR. Obviously if they knock GPS off next week it will be massive, but I don’t think the current 15 can do that job. Wait and see though.

Losing to Souths last week (who GPS thumped today) and beating Norths aren’t exactly bench mark games.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Watched 2 of the games today GPS v Sths and Bond v Bank.
GPS looked very impressive out of the 4 teams with many good players against a poor sths.
That said the Bond/Bank game was exciting with the after the hooter kick for bond fitting.
Changes to the Bond forward pack ie No 19 and in particular the No 20 saw much improved go forward and better organised defence in the second half. Bond 7 was also very good in the second half but needs to stay on his feet. This assisted the Bond backs greatly who made the Bank pay. Who are the 19 and 20 for Bond?? The commentators mentioned abt 6 names all games. Both should start if Bond stands any chance moving foward against the likes of GPS, Uni and Filth.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Watched GPS v Sths & Brothers v Norths. Some great tries from both the Eagles & Brethren, but some poor skills in terms of handling. Lots of juggling of ball & scrappy play. GPS look like they're on another level at points, haven't seen Easts but have heard similar. However, Brothers & UQ should be on the receiving end of a good group of players post SRAU. The key will be for them to able to string results together that put them in a good position heading into the second half of the season. UQ I think have the cattle to win a few more games than this current Brothers team. Looking at them play today and last week (plus Souths losing by 40) makes me think they might lose a few close ones. Bond have never traveled very well, and if that holds up this year where away games are more important than ever, I can't see them making finals.

So at this moment my very early & gut feeling finals 4 are Easts, GPS, UQ & Wests. GPS v Brothers next Sat will give a greater view of the rest of the season, that is until the Reds come back to Prems.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I heard Bond did a clean sweep of The Bank on the weekend, is that correct? Don’t think that would have happened before. Is it a sign of Bond growing in strength or have Sunnybank lost a lot of players across the club?

J

JeepsTragic

With all due respect to this Brothers side currently playing - they will become exponentially better when they get Wilson, McReight, Woods and Flook back. I think they have the most to gain in terms of Super players coming back to QPR. Obviously if they knock GPS off next week it will be massive, but I don’t think the current 15 can do that job. Wait and see though.

Losing to Souths last week (who GPS thumped today) and beating Norths aren’t exactly bench mark games.

Jeeps looked pretty strong on Saturday. Once again the front row dominated and the two young fella's in the second row are stepping up to fill the Dan Gorman void. What has been more impressive has been the back line which looks better than the last 3 years. Some genuine power and pace.

I think Jeeps do alright with the return of the Reds players. Not sure what has happened to JP Smith with the reds, but he is close to the best lose head in the country and hopefully will get a run for the gallopers, then there is Tualima, Jack Straker, Feao Fotuaika, Tom Kibble, Scott Malolua and Bryce Hegerty. We might even get Ruan Smith and Matt Gicquel from the Rebels given that they are not playing.

Don't know where they will put all those props. No doubt not all will be fit but a hell of dilemma give Fred Burke is probably the best scrummager currently in the comp and young Tuiqri is a star of the future.

BTW - I think Wilson will be selected in the Wallabies, depriving the filth of one of their best.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
BTW - I think Wilson will be selected in the Wallabies, depriving the filth of one of their best.

Who are they playing?

I’m sure there will be ‘camps’ after this super rugby AU is done but fully expect the boys to be playing club footy on weekends

J

JeepsTragic

A team of kids versus a team that's been together for a couple of years plus a host of players poached from the same club. Throw in a 100 cap Wallaby on the bench. What other score would your expect? Not worth 20 cents./ Yeeah. Great chat.

20c was a bit harsh but Jeeps only had 3/8 from last years pack. 1 new face and the rest played 2nd grade last year - at jeeps. I don't know where Ratu Vio comes from but he would be hard pressed if Kibble and Gicquel were available.

The 3 new backs have certainly added spark to the Jeeps backline but I still haven't forgiven Souths for pinching David Codey all those years ago. What goes around comes around. Interestingly ex-GPS premiership winning prop startied for Souths.

what happened between Brothers and Jeeps? Was there a big reshuffle? Did Souths play at another level or did Jeeps play at another level? Don't know that Will Genia added a great deal of firepower but that was good skills in collecting that ball for his try. he was probably a bit rusty after a long break. Would the score be any different without him? probably not.