• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

J

JeepsTragic

I agree and I thought honours were shared with maybe Easts a bit ahead based on scrum penalties. On physical dominance, I would probably have GPS slightly ahead but down a bit on confidence after penalties. At different times both scrums were dominant and both were penalized when going forward. In the Uni game, Uni had a scrum 15m out from the Bank line and they smashed them in the scrum but were still penalized.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The refs are trying to avoid scrum resets so seem to be very quick to blow the whistle. I wouldn't say that Jeeps had a superior scrum to the Tigers on the weekend though. It waxed and waned.

Great match.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
All the poaching of players & trying to win at all costs can’t beat a club with good culture.
GPS won 1 game on the weekend... This is while carrying a full fresh bench in Premier Grade.

Well done Tigers.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
At different times both scrums were dominant and both were penalized when going forward. In the Uni game, Uni had a scrum 15m out from the Bank line and they smashed them in the scrum but were still penalized.
Having not watched those games yet, all I can make an educated guess that refs have been told to focus a bit on front rows angling in. As soon as the props bore in to the opposing scrum, the opposition will find it impossible to keep the unit together as the front row is torn apart from each other. Just think an axe cutting into wood. Its a lot easier to break wood cutting on an angle, than straight and square like props are supposed to scrummage (we all know props never do what they're supposed to do anyway.)
So the appearance of a dominant scrum often has more to do with front row dark arts than pure power or poor technique, and refs seem to have finally caught on a bit.

J

JeepsTragic

All the poaching of players & trying to win at all costs can’t beat a club with good culture.
GPS won 1 game on the weekend. This is while carrying a full fresh bench in Premier Grade.

Well done Tigers.

That's a bit salty for someone who won. I thought it was a great game even though we lost.

Which players were "poached"? What would be the incentive to move? Certainly not money because no clubs have any of that. Maybe they came because Jeeps is a good club with a good culture.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Who was the dominate scrum JeepsTragic? because I think Easts and GPS would be the 2 best scrums in the comp.

Easts have Kirwan Sanday riding the bench - highly regarded for his scrumming and was playing professionally overseas last year. They definitely have some front row dominance and depth this year.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
GPS won 1 game on the weekend. This is while carrying a full fresh bench in Premier Grade.

Well done Tigers.

It's actually becoming comical how salty and misguided some of the posts from Souths supporters on here are towards GPS.

You realize a major part of the players leaving scenario is the after effects of deals done by the Souths club and Picone?

They can't suddenly cry poor when Picone leaves (and as I remind everyone, not to GPS) and suddenly a bunch of guys decide to bail on your club as well.

Do you think Quade and Kerevi were poached by GPS considering neither of them were going to play? Or maybe they're just training with the team because they'd prefer to be there.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Look you GPS guys dish it out enough on this forum, it is swings and roundabouts.

If you just lie low for a while there'll by another issue get blown up here in no time.

When you get done on a Saturday in a massive game you have to expect to cop a bit the following week - it's called banter.

But hang in there as the Hospital Cup isn't awarded after round 2 - still plenty of water to flow under the bridge in QPR20, but Tigers are in good form at this early stage.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Look you GPS guys dish it out enough on this forum, it is swings and roundabouts.

If you just lie low for a while there'll by another issue get blown up here in no time.

When you get done on a Saturday in a massive game you have to expect to cop a bit the following week - it's called banter.

But hang in there as the Hospital Cup isn't awarded after round 2 - still plenty of water to flow under the bridge in QPR20, but Tigers are in good form at this early stage.

Fully love banter - but it's getting a bit old listening to the same sh*t chat going round and round for weeks.

Saturday's game was one of the best I've watched in years at QPR level, have no issues in copping the loss.

I heard on the weekend they were changing eligibility rules for Reds players and a lot of the regular starters may not be eligible to play in finals. Does anyone know if that's true? I wouldn't think so but apparently in the new agreements they signed there isn't going to be enough down time between end of Super Rugby season and them playing for clubs, as per the players union for maximum games played in this condensed season.

J

JeepsTragic

I heard on the weekend they were changing eligibility rules for Reds players and a lot of the regular starters may not be eligible to play in finals. Does anyone know if that's true? I wouldn't think so but apparently in the new agreements they signed there isn't going to be enough down time between end of Super Rugby season and them playing for clubs, as per the players union for maximum games played in this condensed season.[/quote]

So what does that mean for guys who are not currently playing for the Reds. Wallis from Uni, Gordon from Wests, Kibble, JP Smith, Felimi and Malolua from GPS, Farrell from Bond, Zander from Norths, Feao for Sunnybank, Wood from Brothers (although I did hear he played on the weekend). Do they give up a year of rugby? Some have not even had one game this year. It seems pretty harsh on those guys, especially the young guns like Carter and Kibble. They need to be playing and will not improve on the training paddock.

I suppose I am being a bit selfish because obviously GPS has the most to gain but that doesn't detract from the point I am trying to make.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Carter Gordon is playing for Wests Jeepstragic.

You must of missed the piccone news (another scandal) over on reds 2021 thread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if the restriction is true then it would surely be based only on games played. Meaning the likes of Wallis, Kibble, Farrell etc would be free to play.

Wood played on the weekend and Gordon has played the last 2 weeks

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Well done Tigers.

Yes I've heard that for the last few weeks GPS have carried a full fresh bench for premier grade and gone uncontested from the kick off in reserve grade - please explain to me how that is in the spirit of rugby?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes I've heard that for the last few weeks GPS have carried a full fresh bench for premier grade and gone uncontested from the kick off in reserve grade - please explain to me how that is in the spirit of rugby?

If true pretty dull for the players. Drop me a division please, rather than hit close to Premier.

J

JeepsTragic

Not quite from Kick off Bulldog, but very soon after. I find that a bit disappointing. I am not a fan of the fresh reserves not playing second grade. The reserve front row could play at least 1/2 of second grade and still be fresh enough for Prems. They are fit young men for gods sake. I dont think its fair on the players. Ask the players - "do you want to play 15-20 mins of Prems OR 40 mins of 2nd's and 20 mins of Prems?" I think i know what most players would say.

I suppose I could whinge and say that other clubs poached GPS 2nd grade Props but thats a cop out. I agree that GPS should be able to put forward a competitive scrum in all grades and its not good enough that they go uncontested from a early point in the game. That being said you cant put a kid in danger by asking him to pack against a guy who is going to tear him apart. A serious neck injury is in nobody's interest.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not quite from Kick off Bulldog, but very soon after. I find that a bit disappointing. I am not a fan of the fresh reserves not playing second grade. The reserve front row could play at least 1/2 of second grade and still be fresh enough for Prems. They are fit young men for gods sake. I dont think its fair on the players. Ask the players - "do you want to play 15-20 mins of Prems OR 40 mins of 2nd's and 20 mins of Prems?" I think i know what most players would say.

I suppose I could whinge and say that other clubs poached GPS 2nd grade Props but thats a cop out. I agree that GPS should be able to put forward a competitive scrum in all grades and its not good enough that they go uncontested from a early point in the game. That being said you cant put a kid in danger by asking him to pack against a guy who is going to tear him apart. A serious neck injury is in nobody's interest.

Not sticking up for GPS here as I also strongly disagree with a fresh bench in amateur rugby, however from what I saw the 2nd grade match at Easts had contested scrums until about the last three minutes of the game, with I believe only two uncontested scrums thereafter in a match that was already done and dusted score wise. Indeed Hoffy (the referee) stopped the game for a short period to confirm what should happen.
Otherwise I agree with Jeeps Tragic. Arguably the two strongest clubs throughout the open mens grades are Easts and Brothers, neither of whom to my knowledge have a fresh bench. This of course allows each team throughout the grades to have half a dozen or so better players in the team which they otherwise wouldn't have.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think just the current administration is to blame at GPS either, it's been happening for a number of years at the club under various coaches. I took issue with it when I was coaching at the club a few years ago. It seems it became an okay thing to do back then and this attitude has passed down over the years. It is definitely hurting the results in lower teams.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)

Bit confused with the whole fresh reserves as players at Easts were told they had to play 2nds, hence the depth they have. Whether that was lies or QRU policy due to the covid and value for fees but I can definitely tell you that’s what was said down there.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Bit confused with the whole fresh reserves as players at Easts were told they had to play 2nds, hence the depth they have. Whether that was lies or QRU policy due to the covid and value for fees but I can definitely tell you that’s what was said down there.
I hear that GPS have done this all year.
I am in favour of a team having to go to 14 when they go uncontested, also that are not allowed to pick it up off the base and the halfback has to stand back with the defensive line.

if you make it this punitive it would surprise you how many teams would have props who could play.