• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
He doesn't have a Reds contract , so no requirement for Wests to play him in Prems at all.

Dare say a bit of time in Colts wouldn't hurt.

Couldn't agree more, even if he did have a Reds contract.

This goes for all players that are in "the system" be it at the Reds or other super clubs, IMO. Unless they are better than the club player who is not part of the pathway.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I
He doesn't have a Reds contract , so no requirement for Wests to play him in Prems at all.

Dare say a bit of time in Colts wouldn't hurt.
I rate the West’s 10 as suggested in an earlier post in prems . Give the kid a red hot crack in Colts, it is U20’s now so a few more experienced players running around here as well. Will help his development enormously esp if West’s colts team does well.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone have mail on whether a Sunny Coast might get back in the QPR soon?

A mate of mine who plays up there said some QPR clubs have been scoping out a couple of teams, looking to form official partnerships and get it cleared by RA. As I understand it, currently a player can only be signed to one club, regardless of which competition that club plays in. A couple of teams are looking at using the Sunny Coast comp as a type of feeder club (similar to QCup and NRL) but will need RA approval to have an official multi club arrangement.

Anyway he reckons this has piqued some interest up that way that there might be enough depth to form another Sunny Coast team.

If they want a Feeder club close to home that plays in the Sunny Coast comp - then they should jump on down to Wynnum Bugs - they joined a few years ago.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I
I rate the West’s 10 as suggested in an earlier post in prems . Give the kid a red hot crack in Colts, it is U20’s now so a few more experienced players running around here as well. Will help his development enormously esp if West’s colts team does well.
Cooper Whiteside and Isaac Henry ( when back from the Reds) would both feel hard done by if they played second fiddle to someone back from the Rebels .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I know Brothers were trying to secure Mason knowing he had a Rebels contract, and why not? The kid has skill and who knows where he might end up in a couple of years. Why would QRU turn their back on a talented young player and reject his registration. It’s not costing them anything. Wests need a decent flyhalf.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
If they want a Feeder club close to home that plays in the Sunny Coast comp - then they should jump on down to Wynnum Bugs - they joined a few years ago.
I have always maintained that the QRU should try to get a club to work in the Albany Creek, Caloulture , Redcliffe and North Lakes area. All are great junior areas and would make a great catchment I believe it would be sustainable and would grow the game. Realistically Norths is not very North.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I have always maintained that the QRU should try to get a club to work in the Albany Creek, Caloulture , Redcliffe and North Lakes area. All are great junior areas and would make a great catchment I believe it would be sustainable and would grow the game. Realistically Norths is not very North.
As real Estate becomes dearer and dearer the mid to outer northern suburbs of Brisbane/Moreton Council suburbs will fill up with young rugby players. ‘Norths’ is 8 km north of CBD , growth areas full of aspiring rugby players are 30 plus km north of CBD. Huge growth potential, I know ‘Norths’ have worked hard to tap into this area however ripe for something more.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Did Carter play Prems straight out of school?
Yes he did and also had a Reds’ contract , which sort of made it have to happen .

Might have played there regardless , but as mentioned , Mason doesn’t have a Reds’ contract and as a result there should be no pressure on Wests to play him in Prems. If he is the best candidate, then sure . If it’s because the Rebels want to see him develop, then absolutely not . We have young talent that should not be held back just because another player has a contract.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes he did and also had a Reds’ contract , which sort of made it have to happen .

Might have played there regardless , but as mentioned , Mason doesn’t have a Reds’ contract and as a result there should be no pressure on Wests to play him in Prems. If he is the best candidate, then sure . If it’s because the Rebels want to see him develop, then absolutely not . We have young talent that should not be held back just because another player has a contract.

Like I was saying In the Rebels thread, unless Rebels are offering something up in resources and support to West’s, then West’s shouldn’t feel obliged to do Mason with any special treatment just to suit the Rebels needs.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Like I was saying In the Rebels thread, unless Rebels are offering something up in resources and support to West’s, then West’s shouldn’t feel obliged to do Mason with any special treatment just to suit the Rebels needs.
I doubt any QRU club would support any state franchise other than the Reds.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Really wish they had the qpr program for the trials - I don’t think they’ll upload anything into rugbylink either.

Keen to see the lineups... please report back

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)

Unless I have read you wrong , and by no means am I purposefully misinterpreting ,but, I took your post with an implication that if you are a young developing player and you have a Reds contract then this should give you a leg up in playing Prems because of “development considerations” but conversely if you are contracted to another franchise then no such consideration should be afforded, and if anything , you probably got a greater headwind to get past.

Shouldn’t it just be a simple case of meritorious based outcomes irrespective of who is contracted to who and who isn’t ?

I find it odd that through trial season there doesn’t seem to much, if any,intra trial stuff going on at clubs may help getting players to the right spots .

Until Rugby at all levels moves past all agenda that isn’t led by predetermination but merit only - and being 100% accountable to that - it will only get about 70% to 80% of right .

Back to the specific issue of merit and Mason Gordon , he pretty much turned the Colts 1 game on its head and won it virtually singlehandedly v UQ at UQ last year - which was his sole cameo after the school season. This actually should have been the warning bell for the embedded flaws for UQ ahead of the Grand Finals (IE : the porous midfield defense and lack of play making ability ) Mason ID’d it and lit it up just as Pappin , Tarabay and Co did a few weeks later in the GF.

Give Mason his due and without a rats arse who is under contract to. He likely is at least ready for a shot at Prems, initially off the bench maybe but a M.Gordon , Issac Henry 10/12 combination could work pretty well for the Dogs with Cooper Whiteside rounding it out at 15

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Unless I have read you wrong , and by no means am I purposefully misinterpreting ,but, I took your post with an implication that if you are a young developing player and you have a Reds contract then this should give you a leg up in playing Prems because of “development considerations” but conversely if you are contracted to another franchise then no such consideration should be afforded, and if anything , you probably got a greater headwind to get past.

Shouldn’t it just be a simple case of meritorious based outcomes irrespective of who is contracted to who and who isn’t ?

I find it odd that through trial season there doesn’t seem to much, if any,intra trial stuff going on at clubs may help getting players to the right spots .

Until Rugby at all levels moves past all agenda that isn’t led by predetermination but merit only - and being 100% accountable to that - it will only get about 70% to 80% of right .

Back to the specific issue of merit and Mason Gordon , he pretty much turned the Colts 1 game on its head and won it virtually singlehandedly v UQ at UQ last year - which was his sole cameo after the school season. This actually should have been the warning bell for the embedded flaws for UQ ahead of the Grand Finals (IE : the porous midfield defense and lack of play making ability ) Mason ID’d it and lit it up just as Pappin , Tarabay and Co did a few weeks later in the GF.

Give Mason his due and without a rats arse who is under contract to. He likely is at least ready for a shot at Prems, initially off the bench maybe but a M.Gordon , Issac Henry 10/12 combination could work pretty well for the Dogs with Cooper Whiteside rounding it out at 15

Mason actually played against Souths the week after as well in colts and went off injured after 20 minutes. Didn’t look overly impressive with a pretty good backline including the Vaihu brothers but it’s always tough coming into a side and expecting everything to be cohesive

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
With regard to Mason, he and Andrew Romano are the only school leavers to make the junior Wallabies squad, and has been training with the Rebels for the pre season so he’s capable of handing a position in a Prems side. The question should be whether he’s around for the entire QPR season. A bench spot in probably more suitable.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Just to be clear , I’m not suggesting that being contracted to the Reds means you should get picked over someone who isn’t , it’s more that that’s the way it normally goes . Fringe Reds players get sent back to QPR with the idea of getting game time and would imagine those at the Reds would want to see them develop in certain positions and at least ask certain things of the clubs regards where they play . Up to the club then as to what happens next, I’m sure they don’t always get their way .

If you read my post again you will see that I mention that if Mason is the best candidate for the position he should get it , but he shouldn’t be sent back to Wests with the expectation from the Rebels of him playing Prems at someone else’s expense if the coaches at Wests believe they already have a better candidate.

Have no doubt Mason has a big future ahead of him and am basically agreeing with your sentiment of who gets selected should be on merit, not whether you have a contract. He’s still young and I did see his display against UQ in Colts last year as well. He played very well , but it was against Colts . Maybe that’s where he should start, with some time off the bench with the big boys ?

Think that would be less likely to cause disquiet amongst the player group.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
With regard to Mason, he and Andrew Romano are the only school leavers to make the junior Wallabies squad, and has been training with the Rebels for the pre season so he’s capable of handing a position in a Prems side. The question should be whether he’s around for the entire QPR season. A bench spot in probably more suitable.
Agree . Bench opportunity in spurts is likely best initially with consistent and dominant performances being racked up one after the other in Colts first .

I will say if Carter was handed the keys off the bat and went OK , and, if you wanted to isolate that comparison then I would have no drama throwing the same set of keys to Mason. Maybe not quite the athlete as his brother but a better make up upstairs I reckon which is better compensatory factor.