• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
14-13 to Easts - penalty right in front in extra time. Very tight 2nd half, I thought Gordon had it, Easts kicked away possession a few times but finally just picked and drove until right in front of the line there was an infringement. Exciting finish.
Yeah, Gordon certainly seemed to have ascendency in the first half . Easts weren’t really threatening.

Well done to wrestle it back from there !

dru

Tim Horan (67)
14-13 to Easts - penalty right in front in extra time. Very tight 2nd half, I thought Gordon had it, Easts kicked away possession a few times but finally just picked and drove until right in front of the line there was an infringement. Exciting finish.

Tigers kicking away possession, a lot in the last 5 min, had me yelling at the TV. Worked out though.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
With the banks fields being closed and games cancelled, I decided that Dalby with 3rds/4ths was a bit far to go, so I headed out Sylvan Road. I have to say Wests main oval is looking mint! Hopefully the rain and foot traffic hasn't done too much damage, but well done to wests.

Colts looked quite an even contest from what I saw, Wests have some big numbers, Norths will be more than competitive, they looked good in patches. Wests very dominant in reserve grade, Premier Grade showed the class of Moses Sorovi (how does he not make the Reds 23?) and Isaac Henry, but Norths pulled away from them in the end, lost count maybe 4 tries to 2 to Norths? Very physical game, Norths grafted a bit better in the forwards.

Well done to the Tigers on their win over Gordon, hopefully this rain stays away for saturday and we all get back on the park!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are a few club with front row depth issues - most notably Uni who went uncontested in Prem mid game v Brothers.

Maybe Uni should have done that mid way last year’s GF!!

Seriously if clubs can’t get some decent front row depth together they will end up down towards the bottom of the table.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
There are a few club with front row depth issues - most notably Uni who went uncontested in Prem mid game v Brothers.

Seriously if clubs can’t get some decent front row depth together they will end up down towards the bottom of the table.

I do worry that the issue of not having Premier Grade standard props is going to keep hanging around. Rugby player numbers have been dropping in schools and juniors for several years now. Less players, less players who can play prop.

And the blokes who have been killing it at Premier Grade are being snapped up early, either professionally, interstate or overseas. So there is less time to develop good replacements.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Lion, sounds like you were watching Colts 2? Or maybe a hybrid trial?

Does anyone know the merits of GPS colts?

Good promotion from Norths...get down if you're a local

163340462_164143712223094_5432681009098823323_o.jpg

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Not the ideal lead up for many teams coming into the final weekend of trials.

I don't imagine much on field training tonight, possibly Thursday also, although the rain should be easing in time for games this Saturday

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
The lack of props, the lack of players (and their parents) wanting to play prop from the school, junior and senior club level is looming as a massive issue if not already. Uncontested scrums will increasingly become more the norm than the exception particularly in lower school and club grades where it was the norm last season. I don't see it changing unless there are more rule changes to size/weight, engagement, pushing etc etc which kind of makes the whole contested scrum event redundant. Interested to hear what others think and/or suggest on this issue.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
The lack of props, the lack of players (and their parents) wanting to play prop from the school, junior and senior club level is looming as a massive issue if not already. Uncontested scrums will increasingly become more the norm than the exception particularly in lower school and club grades where it was the norm last season. I don't see it changing unless there are more rule changes to size/weight, engagement, pushing etc etc which kind of makes the whole contested scrum event redundant. Interested to hear what others think and/or suggest on this issue.
Expect a lot more love for Props from your local club this year as I hear there are real sanctions of going uncontested including loss of competition points and going to 14 during the game.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Expect a lot more love for Props from your local club this year as I hear there are real sanctions of going uncontested including loss of competition points and going to 14 during the game.

Across all grades or just at the Premier level (Colts and 1st grade)?

I'm all for putting pressure on teams for contested scrums. But I hope it doesn't evolve into lower grades putting inexperienced players in a dangerous position because they don't want to risk losing points. There is a fine line between creating a contest and player safety when it comes to front rowers.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
The mail I have been given is that if a team elects to go uncontested from the start of the game, they lose 2 competition points. So that make it a negative result for the losing side? Sounds ridiculous. What is the situation if, through injury, a side can not replace a prop and then elects to go uncontested?

I favour the concept of those teams electing to go uncontested having to drop a player and play with 14 players.

Player safety is paramount, particularly in the junior and school levels with the front row positions. There's no debate about that and the 14 player option sounds feasible.

The other question that intrigues me is what happens now when there are clear and dangerous mis-matches in scrums (due to injury, size/weight, technique etc) and for reasons of player safety, can a team elect to go uncontested after the first scrum (and subsequently be forced to drop a player)? Is that a referee's decision or coach's??

Murky waters.

Across all grades or just at the Premier level (Colts and 1st grade)?

I'm all for putting pressure on teams for contested scrums. But I hope it doesn't evolve into lower grades putting inexperienced players in a dangerous position because they don't want to risk losing points. There is a fine line between creating a contest and player safety when it comes to front rowers.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I imagine there will be some form of common sense applied to this ruling - for example all teams from 5th grade down don't have the same penalties applied.

In which case, those lower grade teams will simply become uncontested scrum games, as you'd think the higher grades will start taking fresh front rowers on the bench to make sure they don't get stuck in a situation where they have to go uncontested.

Is that the best result for the game?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I thinks its great, if true.

There will always be outliers and the safety card is something that's regularly played, but the club will just need to cop the penalty against the team that has the props, this isn't league its Union and the fatties need to be part of the game.

GPS pushed the envelope last year with Reggies going uncontested in a lot of games and came very close to making the finals which was against the spirit of the game IMO. So I can see why this penalty is being looked at.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
In which case, those lower grade teams will simply become uncontested scrum games, as you'd think the higher grades will start taking fresh front rowers on the bench to make sure they don't get stuck in a situation where they have to go uncontested.

Is that the best result for the game?

Why would you pay $350 to sit on the bench? The whole idea as a player is to play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The below rules will be in effect regarding uncontested scrums in 2021 for Queensland Premier Rugby competitions. These rules will not apply for additional competitions such as Colts 4 and 6th Grade:
•Hospital Challenge Cup will follow the World Rugby Guidelines in regards to uncontested scrums
•2nd Grade through 5th Grade, Colts 1 through Colts 3 and Premier Women, will abide by the below rules
•If a game starts contested and then goes uncontested, then a reduction in players will occur except in the circumstances outlined here: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/16. There will no competition point penalty applied
•If a game starts uncontested, then the team that called uncontested scrums will face the below sanctions:
i. Game 1: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied
ii. Game 2: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied. Club is given a show cause as to why they have gone uncontested in a 2nd match
iii. Game 3: Uncontested Scrum is noted through the Match Day App by opposition and a 2 competition point penalty is applied. Club will be directed to undertake and complete a Front Row Passport Management Plan
Note: Competition Point penalties will be taken from the amount of competition points the team that called uncontested scrums received for that match. The team will not receive less than 0 points for the match, unless they also meet the conditions of a forfeit
Note: Should both teams start the match uncontested then they will both be subject to the above penalties.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agreed that some clubs and schools "gamed" the situation last year. It's sad that it reached the point at the Reggies. Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes but unfortunately the size/weight and skill disparities are increasing and as expected, the Player Safety trumps....even at Premier level it seems now.

I think the lower grades (3rd to 6th) it will always be an issue at point during the season (injury, availability etc) but Prems and Reggies needs some clarity on the rules before the season starts shortly.

Meanwhile, there are a heap of champion former props out there willing to give their time freely to support clubs and players to rebuild the front row depth. As a rugby community, we all need to come up with and support solutions going forward. The future of our wonderful game, the safety of our players and our national and international standing depends on it.

Here's another idea...if a side has prop issues - backrowers drop off at scrum time, leaving a 5 man scrum which has less weight. I know it's not rugby league but it's an idea.....

I thinks its great, if true.

There will always be outliers and the safety card is something that's regularly played, but the club will just need to cop the penalty against the team that has the props, this isn't league its Union and the fatties need to be part of the game.

GPS pushed the envelope last year with Reggies going uncontested in a lot of games and came very close to making the finals which was against the spirit of the game IMO. So I can see why this penalty is being looked at.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Why would you pay $350 to sit on the bench? The whole idea as a player is to play.

Yes mate I agree, which is why I posed the question. If teams are looking at not losing points or dropping players, they're going to want to ensure they've covered for these situations. I imagine more teams will want to take fresh props. That could pose some problems down the grades.

I see from Reg's post below that the new rules don't apply from 6th grade down. So does a club like Norths have the cattle to field contested scrums down that far? That's a minimum of 10 props needed per club, doesn't sound like much but consider they need to be prem standard in those top grades as well, not easy.

I think there needs to be penalties applied for sure, but maybe not starting from 5th grade up.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I understand that the critical problem at GPS last year was actually hookers rather than props. In a highly unusual year the four top hookers (Nguamo, Simkin, Casey and Freney) were all out and the fifth string hooker had to step up and not only start but play the full 80 in at least two games. Meanwhile Reggies had a loosie step into the hooker role. Unlikely to have that many injuries simultaneously in one key position again - however last year shows it can happen.