• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure what question to ask here. It's either 'what happened to the Brothers scrum?' or 'what's going going on with the Uni scrum?'. Or maybe both?

A full 80min by both Uni props v a merry-go-round of Brothers props changes. From what I could see Uni only lost 1 scrum at the end, and that was with another Brothers prop replacement. And that just is after Richardson won the scrum against the feed for Wallis to score in the dying minutes of the match.
Only 1 game into the season but if Uni get their scrum humming I think shudders will be going through the opposition.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Commentators

Bond vs Norths = Jeremy Austin
Easts vs Sunnybank = Michael Chettle
UQ vs Brothers = Marty Lippiatt
GPS vs Souths = Dallan Murphy

(Don't know who the first two are)

I'm led to believe that Jaybor was not given a gig in the Stan Commentary team for QPR.

WTF! What a joke.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure what question to ask here. It's either 'what happened to the Brothers scrum?' or 'what's going going on with the Uni scrum?'. Or maybe both?

A full 80min by both Uni props v a merry-go-round of Brothers props changes. From what I could see Uni only lost 1 scrum at the end, and that was with another Brothers prop replacement. And that just is after Richardson won the scrum against the feed for Wallis to score in the dying minutes of the match.
Only 1 game into the season but if Uni get their scrum humming I think shudders will be going through the opposition.

The Uni forwards look better than previous years, by that I mean they've always had good stock, but the real cream never played for them as they were with the Reds. This year they've actually got a pack with some decent Premier Grade experience and grit about them.

My biggest takeaway was that I thought Mac Grealy has someway to go before he's ready for Super Rugby. Good involvements early, went missing for a large part when Brothers got some momentum. We know he won't be showing up in Super Rugby this year, but I think he's got a fair bit to do if he's going to displace Jock in the next few years.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did Easts suffer Aust Club Champs hang over? Not unusual for clubs to experience this.

Or were Snbk good?

I think it may well have been a case of both.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Did Easts suffer Aust Club Champs hang over? Not unusual for clubs to experience this.

Or were Snbk good?

I think it may well have been a case of both.
Sunnybank went close to knocking off a couple of the top teams last year , hopefully building into a team that will challenge for the top 4 . Always better for the comp as a whole for games to be genuinely competitive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wests look good on paper.
0EB3BA16-5F48-44C2-8E92-EEB456C90673.jpeg

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Listened to the latest episode of The Rugby Collective on the way to work this morning.

They mentioned roughly 20 from the greater Reds’ squad playing QPR this weekend.

Interestingly, Kalani Thomas to make his first grade debut having already played Super.

Liam Wright, Uru and Asiata back for the Tigers .

Nonggorr, Mafi and Blyth for Bond.

Flook , Hoopert and both Creightons back for Brothers + Smith starting again at THP.

Some great matchups this weekend!

The Brothers v Wests game should be a cracker !

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Listened to the latest episode of The Rugby Collective on the way to work this morning.

They mentioned roughly 20 from the greater Reds’ squad playing QPR this weekend.

Interestingly, Kalani Thomas to make his first grade debut having already played Super.

Flook , Hoopert and both Creightons back for Brothers + Smith starting again at THP.

Yep! Further insight here with Jim Tucker:
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/liam-wright-and-reds-boost-for-club-land-2021414

WESTS: Filipo Daugunu, Keynan Tauakipulu, Moses Sorovi, Isaac Henry, Ilaisa Droasese.

UNIVERSITY: Kalani Thomas, Sam Wallis, Mac Grealy, Josh Nasser.

NORTHS: Dane Zander.

GPS: Tuaina Tali Tualima.

EASTS: Richie Asiata, Seru Uru, Liam Wright

BROTHERS: Lawson Creighton, Harry Hoopert, Josh Flook.

BOND UNIVERSITY: Alex Mafi, Zane Nonggorr, Angus Blyth.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)

Interesting that Kalani Thomas is making his first grade debut against the club (Souths) that didn’t think he was good enough for first grade. This shall be interesting

If only west’s had their full backline:

9. Sorovi
10. Henry
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Droasese
14. Daugunu
15. Petaia

Bench: Mason Gordon, Jono Kent and Cooper Whiteside

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Jono Kent was on the podcast , he has moved from GPS to get a crack at 10.

This weekend Mason Gordon is playing 15 with Kent at 10, which pricked my interest.

Could easily be reversed in future and Kent moves clubs to play the same position?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
If
Interesting that Kalani Thomas is making his first grade debut against the club (Souths) that didn’t think he was good enough for first grade. This shall be interesting

If only west’s had their full backline:

9. Sorovi
10. Henry
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Droasese
14. Daugunu
15. Petaia

Bench: Mason Gordon, Jono Kent and Cooper Whiteside

If you are adding a Rebel, you might as well add Jeral Skelton, Glen Vaihu, and Carter Gordon

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Has Jono Kent ever played 10 at any level?

He played 15 at school, and can't remember him playing anywhere other than fullback or wing since he returned to Jeeps a few years ago.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

He played 15 at school, and can't remember him playing anywhere other than fullback or wing since he returned to Jeeps a few years ago.
Not sure , but that’s where he is named this weekend and as I mentioned , the chance to play 10 was the main driver in his decision to move to Wests.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

He actually played 10 off the bench for Premier Grade a few times at GPS in the last few seasons. One game was quite memorable and he steered the team to a comeback win over Uni down at Yoku if I remember.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Yes, well done Rugby! Well done Reds. It is exciting to have these men playing amongst the club community and something to look forward to tomorrow. Great for the rusted on and the young boys & girls playing/watching. I feel momentum is definitely shifting in a very positive way for rugby. Get out to your local club tomorrow and share the word amongst the rugby fraternity.

Well done STAN with the coverage, content and packaging. I watched Rugby Heaven (filmed from Camp Wallaby) the other night and interviews with Dave Rennie, Harry Wilson were excellent insights. Wilson is impressive - so humble, young and a good head on his shoulders. Obviously, some excellent influences at Ballymore these days and let's hope it stays that way.

Now for 52,000 at Suncorp Stadium on 8 May...

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Kalani may be making his run-on QPR debut tomorrow however he played 1st grade last year off the bench for Souths. To say that Souths didn't think he was good enough is totally false. It was his own decision to move on and good luck to him.