• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They’ve tried previously, Sunshine Coast have been part of it the past but ran into financial difficulties. And there was a plan to bring Logan into the comp as well but they didn’t meet the criteria outplayed at the time.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I would say Nathan Carroll has been the best performing fullback this season. Grealy hasn’t lived up to my expectations so far. We need to knock the dancing (on the spot) step out of him quickly.
One player is super rugby level = Grealey, one player bloody good premier rugby player = Carroll . Apparently Carroll very good cricketer as well.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
After this weekends results, a few things are now set in stone points wise. UQ and GPS will play the Major Semi. Easts, Souths, Norths and Sunnybank cannot make the four. The competition over the next three rounds is really all about Wests, Brothers and Bond. It will be interesting to see how Wests go with their late season Rebels imports, some of whom I don't think will be eligible for finals - so that could be quite disruptive to their team should it make the four.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
So very much of an outsider been following the Bulldogs because of the Rebels there. It’s got me wondering a 9 side comp? Surely they could/should look at expanding to a 10 side comp
SEQ Western Rebels might get a crack , just need a financial backer.

Where’s Big Clive when you need him ?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Dammers put his team on absolute blast yesterday after their loss to Norths, you could hear it from the carpark

Apparently a few players approached him after the game and asked to be dropped for the remainder of the season so they can qualify for reggies who are going to play finals. That also didn’t go down well

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping table update. Well done to Keeno who managed to tip the round. 4 locked on 33 points makes the remainder of the season interesting.

Heavy Unit 33
Keeno 33
Learning Curve 33
NJ 33
Sage Too 28
Rugby Follower 27
MeanGreen 26
Jets 25
SouthernX 25
Zinzan Brooke 24
Happyman 21
Nomad 20
Paty305 20
Cam G 18
Marbig 18
Jonte 17
Linespeed 16
Jumpman 14
Beerad 13
Hound 13
Dusky W 11
PhatMik 6
DB 4
Fisherman123 4
Pick and Drive 4
ben 3
Graham Welsh 2
Daniel 10 1
Gary 1

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Dammers put his team on absolute blast yesterday after their loss to Norths, you could hear it from the carpark

Apparently a few players approached him after the game and asked to be dropped for the remainder of the season so they can qualify for reggies who are going to play finals. That also didn’t go down well

I thought Norths played really well - never got any Mail any why Zander - prendergast and chitto aren’t playing? Assume the latter 2are injured if they were all back to combine with Jordan Luke, Chappo Norths would be a much improved team but Harrison Fox, Prideaux(much improved this year) Will Rodgers, booth, north and a few of their other older heads they could beats easts and Sunnybank to shake the spoon.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
SEQ Western Rebels might get a crack , just need a financial backer.

Where’s Big Clive when you need him ?
Well funding obviously is an issue. I don’t really know the lay of the land in QLD just feel a 10 side comp would work better

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)

He also dragged his players away from the post game presentation which didn't go down to well with the old boys from both clubs, and the players didn't react particularly well to it either by the sounds of it. I get being upset about losing big, but needs to be a little respect shown to the way club rugby works, especially for a trophy named after an old boy of both clubs. Bit of a culture issue at Souths if one is looking from the outside.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He also dragged his players away from the post game presentation which didn't go down to well with the old boys from both clubs, and the players didn't react particularly well to it either by the sounds of it. I get being upset about losing big, but needs to be a little respect shown to the way club rugby works, especially for a trophy named after an old boy of both clubs. Bit of a culture issue at Souths if one is looking from the outside.

I've said several times on these forums that I personally only ever had good interactions with Dammers during his time at GPS, so my comments don't come from a place of malice.

But surely now there has to be a discussion about whether he struggles to coach men, rather than boys. He's had great success at both schoolboy and colts level as a coach. But here we are again having discussions about players disliking him/the way he coaches and several institutional players having left the club (CFS recently is a good example).

He's obviously building something good from the bottom up, by bringing these gun colts through the last few years, but even they'll start asking questions if things don't change.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Gut feeling is no wallabies will play QPR this season.

This covid stuff is blowing up. Wouldn’t be suprised to see a pause on QPR & NRL etc unless queensland can have rock solid borders!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Gut feeling is no wallabies will play QPR this season.

This covid stuff is blowing up. Wouldn’t be suprised to see a pause on QPR & NRL etc unless queensland can have rock solid borders!
Even without any COVID issues Wallaby players are highly unlikely to play any QPR. The exemption being those coming back from injury might get get a run to prove match fitness.

The First Bledisloe kicks off in Auckland on the 7th of August , then back to Perth on the 21st followed by Wellington on what will be QPR Grand Final day .

Couldn’t see Rennie releasing any back to play club , especially when they will need the extra bodies to train against.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
you reckon?
When was the last game of footy that McReight, Fa'amausili, Foketi, Leota, Muirhead, JOC (James O'Connor), Perese, Sio, Timani, Wells or Simone have played a game of rugby?
I reckon Rennie will be keen to get them back playing this week and QPR is likely the only place that can happen.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah fair call.

So JOC (James O'Connor) and McReight to Brothers , all the Rebels to Wests.......where do the Tahs and Brumbies play?

Brothers and Wests I'm sure will love the help to make finals, maybe Bond put their hand up for the rest?

Be a few nervous first graders waiting for a phone call this afternoon to find out if their playing Reggies this weekend maybe.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Tell me, what is the connection with Wests and the Rebels?

I’m guessing it might be the promising flyhalf at the rebels who without a Competitive club competition and no NRC is going to be hurt in terms of his development playing third tier footy.

There’s also a couple of players at the rebels who have brothers at Wests (Gordon, Skelton, Vaihu)

Also weird set of circumstances with no Shute shield… Wests is probably operating on a more the merrier strategy even at the expense that you leave some fringe premier grade players to look for greener pastures next year.

Also does anyone know which qpr club Piccone sends his cattle too? Perhaps it’s Wests… unsure how to compile a player-club statistic like that.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m guessing it might be the promising flyhalf at the rebels who without a Competitive club competition and no NRC is going to be hurt in terms of his development playing third tier footy.

There’s also a couple of players at the rebels who have brothers at Wests (Gordon, Skelton, Vaihu)

Also weird set of circumstances with no Shute shield… Wests is probably operating on a more the merrier strategy even at the expense that you leave some fringe premier grade players to look for greener pastures next year.

Also does anyone know which qpr club Piccone sends his cattle too? Perhaps it’s Wests… unsure how to compile a player-club statistic like that.
So no formal affiliation of being a feeder club?
Watched the West’s game replay and must say Gordon is looking special. I have always liked his game control and playmaker style, and he now showing his maturity. Glen Vaihu is another who is developing nicely.
Brett Piccone is coaching at Norths.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From what I was told, the Melbourne rebels had no issues with players turning out for Brisbane clubs, provided those clubs paid for all flights and accomodation each time they come.
Personally I’m not a huge fan of it. Yes it’s great seeing them in the competition and makes it stronger but what is it doing for the development of clubs and players. Not to mention the depowering of the Melbourne club comp, which is already in tatters.

Can’t be cheap either