• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Things have improved out of sight, new GM in Reggie Armstrong has instilled a lot of confidence in the club over the past few months. I believe in one round last season there were 48 Sunnybank juniors playing in Premier Grade over 30 of them at clubs other than Sunnybank. Numbers are strong for 2 x Colts sides and 4 grades. The rebuild is a long term project. (5-10 years) the aim is to have Sunnybank juniors so entrenched within the club that when they leave school they have no hesitation in going anywhere but Sunnybank. The juniors this year are as strong as ever, their u13 should win the Division1 GF with daylight second, u14's should go close and 15 and 16's should at least make finals. If the project goes they way they are planning we should be seeing some good results out of the bank in coming seasons.
Last period of success at the club was also linked to a good colts program. So much talent in the area, they just have to convince them that staying close to home makes sense.
Reggie is a great Dragon. Hopefully can get the entire place working towards this goal.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Wow really?

massive fall from grace considering they were close to QPR promotion not too long ago. Also a critical growth corridor rugby can’t let slip, it’s the Western Sydney equivalent for Brisbane.
The growth corridor that needs attention is northlakes / morayfield / redcliffe area. Whole big pocket of punters up there with no rugby club to attach to.
The traditional clubs are all still within a stubbie throw of each other and Brisbane rugby needs to get a bit more tribal.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Yep makes sense.

Anyway the Rebels stuff has hijacked this thread for long enough. Although it seems there isn’t much else to talk about, the first round seems so far away.

With Super Rugby starting this weekend, has there been any news on whether players will be in ‘bubbles’ for the tournament?

There seems to be some push in the Reds threads for Spencer Jeans to get a nod. Which means UQ could certainly run out a strong backline if they end up with Kalani Thomas, Lynagh and Grealy for long period of the season.
Lynagh will play colts mostly. UQ have Twidale and Dalgleish is back from Scotland so plenty of options for Heeno.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The growth corridor that needs attention is northlakes / morayfield / redcliffe area. Whole big pocket of punters up there with no rugby club to attach to.
The traditional clubs are all still within a stubbie throw of each other and Brisbane rugby needs to get a bit more tribal.

It'll be an uphill battle with the Redcliffe area and surrounds now, with the NRL team kicking off next year, you'd imagine they'll be flocking there.

Sometimes it is better to double down resources in areas you know are already committed, and keep them happy.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lynagh will play colts mostly. UQ have Twidale and Dalgleish is back from Scotland so plenty of options for Heeno.

As has been mentioned here probably 10,000 times - unless Lynagh gets special clearance, he has to play Premier Grade, not Colts, as he is a fully contracted player.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

As has been mentioned here probably 10,000 times - unless Lynagh gets special clearance, he has to play Premier Grade, not Colts, as he is a fully contracted player.
he has had discussions and asked to play colts.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Moving some of the clubs further out would makes sense but which clubs? And what impact would it have on the previous generations of players. It would be a complex and sensitive project and one I’m pretty sure no one is prepared for.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
he has had discussions and asked to play colts.
I'll probably get cut to shreds for my opinion on this but surely the fact he's on a full contract at the Reds means he should play the highest level possible, which is 1st grade.

If he isn't confident or ready to play with the grown ups, that is fine but speak up before signing on the dotted line and then he should have been signed to a development contract instead.

If he needed some incentive to come to the Reds, they could sign him to a tiered contract - Development in 2022 and 23 and then moves to a full contract in 24 and 25, so a 4 year deal. The money saved on his full contract this year could have been used to retain someone like Hegarty, who pending form and injuries, could come in handy in 2022.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Moving some of the clubs further out would makes sense but which clubs? And what impact would it have on the previous generations of players. It would be a complex and sensitive project and one I’m pretty sure no one is prepared for.
I like the idea of expansion with possibly Ipswich, and North lakes being great locations Given the potential catchments.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

The game is losing traction in established markets. Schools are being impacted with competition in other sports increasing.

I feel like widening the scope of rugby isn't what is called for at the moment.

Consolidate things over the next few years, some more big news today about players leaving for overseas and if someone like Taniela jump ship as is being reported, that's a huge blow to one of the personalities of the game. Rugby needs to hold things together until the next home world cup in 2027. Spend the resources by doubling down in grassroots regions which have shown support for rugby and can help build that vision.

That should be the goal, make the sport the strongest it can be within the current confines and give the Wallabies the best shot at winning the WC in '27. Then go wide. Gotta earn the right to go wide!

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
I'll probably get cut to shreds for my opinion on this but surely the fact he's on a full contract at the Reds means he should play the highest level possible, which is 1st grade.

If he isn't confident or ready to play with the grown ups, that is fine but speak up before signing on the dotted line and then he should have been signed to a development contract instead.

If he needed some incentive to come to the Reds, they could sign him to a tiered contract - Development in 2022 and 23 and then moves to a full contract in 24 and 25, so a 4 year deal. The money saved on his full contract this year could have been used to retain someone like Hegarty, who pending form and injuries, could come in handy in 2022.
I agree on this - a full contract would mean you may be required to play at some stage during the super season, which would mean you should be playing QPR as this is the next tier below super.

I struggle with some of the academy contracted players, especially the ones who played for QLD 'A' against the force recently. A number of players from that game are colts eligible in 2022, Tom Lynagh being the highest profiled player who is contracted above academy level.

Are the clubs at fault for not playing them in 1st Grade given their academy status or is the Academy at fault for contracting them? Having various levels in the academy makes sense, especially with the identified players who have just left school, but I would think if you have played QLD 'A' that you would be considered a 1st grade standard player, especially if you have been with the academy? A lot of good 1st grade players who were 19/20 last year who are not academy contracted who did not play for QLD 'A' who would be developmentally ahead of some of their academy contracted rivals. Maybe I'm missing something?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Are the clubs at fault for not playing them in 1st Grade given their academy status or is the Academy at fault for contracting them?

Neither. The Reds are a professional club who are trying to develop and tie up talent to meet their future needs, they are not a representative team of the best QPR talent.
Some of those Academy players would be lucky to play Reggies, let alone Prem Colts. But the Reds believe those Academy players for whatever reason, have a higher ceiling and willing to offer them something to keep them in the fold to see if their punt pays off.

Which 9 times out of 10 doesn't.

Are the clubs at fault for not playing them in 1st Grade given their academy status or is the Academy at fault for contracting them?

Neither. The Reds are a professional club who are trying to develop and tie up talent to meet their future needs, they are not a representative team of the best QPR talent.
Some of those Academy players would be lucky to play Reggies, let alone Prem Colts. But the Reds believe those Academy players for whatever reason, have a higher ceiling and willing to offer them something to keep them in the fold to see if their punt pays off.

if these "Academy" coaches got their heads out of the GPS system and came looking at some of the young public school kids - the 13-15 yr olds who are in my opinion far superior than their GPS counterparts they would be incredibly surprised. The young club team i look after (all non GPS kids) would comfortably beat any GPS A grade side in our age group.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

So you are saying that out of Floyd Aubrey, Taj Annan, Carsen Patu, George Blake, Wilson Blyth, Keynan Tauakipulu and Lopeti Faifua none will make it as a professional?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So you are saying that out of Floyd Aubrey, Taj Annan, Carsen Patu, George Blake, Wilson Blyth, Keynan Tauakipulu and Lopeti Faifua none will make it as a professional?
Some of them will some of them wont, but reckon they should be left in clubland for a year or two before being put into a professional outfit. Lets see if they have the metal to play 30 plus games a year instead of the 12 schoolboys ones in a season. Let them play with folk a bit older and wiser ( tougher) and see what happens before committing time and $$$$ to them.