• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Just stupid discipline is a huge issue for Souths that is 6 yellow cards in two games.
feels like the referees are handing out cards rather quickly. The entire season has seen too many.

I would hazard a guess there would be only a handful of QPR games that haven't had at least one dished out.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
while it was nice to watch a game midweek, I think I prefer daytime games in the sunshine.

Wonder how many of those lads turned up for work this morning?

Whilst this game was obviously played in the timeslot for a reason, I do think the QPR/SS would be silly not to explore alternative fixtures going forward.

Rugby fans are paying a premium for Stan sports, and with no NRC happening, there isn't a whole of rugby outside of Saturdays now that Super Rugby is over.

I understand there are a few moving parts to get games on Friday nights and Sunday arvos, things like club food and drink sales could be affected etc. but especially if the NRC isn't coming back, it would be good to diversify the games a bit. I know I'd be interested in going to a GPS game on Saturday for example and then also head out to Crosby on Sunday arvo (or watch that game live on tv).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
feels like the referees are handing out cards rather quickly. The entire season has seen too many.

I would hazard a guess there would be only a handful of QPR games that haven't had at least one dished out.

Must be tough handing out cards when you don’t have bunker/video review that they have in super rugby.

Wonder how many home crowd reactions has led to a unwarranted bit of cheese for the visiting team.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whilst this game was obviously played in the timeslot for a reason, I do think the QPR/SS would be silly not to explore alternative fixtures going forward.

Rugby fans are paying a premium for Stan sports, and with no NRC happening, there isn't a whole of rugby outside of Saturdays now that Super Rugby is over.

I understand there are a few moving parts to get games on Friday nights and Sunday arvos, things like club food and drink sales could be affected etc. but especially if the NRC isn't coming back, it would be good to diversify the games a bit. I know I'd be interested in going to a GPS game on Saturday for example and then also head out to Crosby on Sunday arvo (or watch that game live on tv).
Money needs to flow to the clubs from the broadcast deal if that were to be the case.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Money needs to flow to the clubs from the broadcast deal if that were to be the case.

Correct - where has the money that was propping up the NRC gone? That would be a good start. They would also surely be getting a small slice at the moment from the current broadcasting deal, watching club rugby is one of the reasons I still have the service.

I know getting viewership figures from the streaming services is impossible for the most part, but it would be interesting to see how many are tuning into club rugby, whether live or watching the minis each week.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Correct - where has the money that was propping up the NRC gone? That would be a good start. They would also surely be getting a small slice at the moment from the current broadcasting deal, watching club rugby is one of the reasons I still have the service.

I know getting viewership figures from the streaming services is impossible for the most part, but it would be interesting to see how many are tuning into club rugby, whether live or watching the minis each week.
NRC was full self-sufficient on the Fox deal. Along with making the womens 7s professional that was Pulvers crowning glory.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
NRC was full self-sufficient on the Fox deal. Along with making the womens 7s professional that was Pulvers crowning glory.
Our system is foiled - needs a total overhaul and replacement - please don’t blame the kiwis like our overpaid fat cats and bureaucrats do, same people give jobs to mates not performers whilst they do Jack shit apart from entertaining their mates in corporate boxes we fund - seen it first hand - stenches from the top.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

This is a subjective issue. I don't think streaming the QPR games would be considered of high value for Stan and whatever they're prepared to pay also needs to offset the production costs, which would be quite expensive and likely erode any money Stan would be prepared to pay.

When you consider the previous YouTube streaming of the QPR actually cost the QRU money and was of a significantly lower quality, its a net gain for viewers. The value for the teams is in the marketing and exposure they get through getting matches on Stan and Nine.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

This is a subjective issue. I don't think streaming the QPR games would be considered of high value for Stan and whatever they're prepared to pay also needs to offset the production costs, which would be quite expensive and likely erode any money Stan would be prepared to pay.

When you consider the previous YouTube streaming of the QPR actually cost the QRU money and was of a significantly lower quality, its a net gain for viewers. The value for the teams is in the marketing and exposure they get through getting matches on Stan and Nine.
so glad Stan is broadcasting QPR and Shute Shield. It is early days and i am sure the productions will only improve as well as become cheaper to produce as the teams get more efficient.
These will become the prime competitions in Aust Rugby and potentially semi professional to fill the perceived gap between Club and Super Rugby.
We have already seen this with all the Melb rebels turning their backs on the Victorian comp and FIFO to sydney/brisbane. Expect Simon Cron to also do similar with West Force and Sydney connections.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
We have already seen this with all the Melb rebels turning their backs on the Victorian comp and FIFO to sydney/brisbane. Expect Simon Cron to also do similar with West Force and Sydney connections.

I don’t think this will happen, it might but there’s a significant disparity both in length and cost of flights when comparing melbourne to brisbane versus Perth to Sydney.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I don’t think this will happen, it might but there’s a significant disparity both in length and cost of flights when comparing melbourne to brisbane versus Perth to Sydney.
I also think the Western Australians will continue to build their competition they obviously have a long term plan. Mark my words in Five years they will have a great local comp.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I also think the Western Australians will continue to build their competition they obviously have a long term plan. Mark my words in Five years they will have a great local comp.
especially if they can make their Premier Grade a semi professional operation.

The state that takes the lead and sets this up will become the "NRC" of aussie rugby. It will attract the better players looking to prove themselves for the next level.

Just gonna take some courage and leadership instead of regurgitating the same old again and again.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

It'll be interesting to see if the NRL start making inroads there. Obviously they have a long-term plan as well. You don't play one of your flagship games of the year in Perth just because you feel like it (although funding from WA gov helps).

I'm not sure league has much of a foothold over there yet, there was a joke in the paper this week about who the NSW league team would be running opposed sessions against.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It'll be interesting to see if the NRL start making inroads there. Obviously they have a long-term plan as well. You don't play one of your flagship games of the year in Perth just because you feel like it (although funding from WA gov helps).

I'm not sure league has much of a foothold over there yet, there was a joke in the paper this week about who the NSW league team would be running opposed sessions against.
One thing is for sure, if the NRL tries to get into WA on a regular basis then the AFL will unleash a fair chunk of their war chest to protect their space as well.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a lot of reds being named for qpr this weekend? think I’ve seen one player named (Richie Asiata)

kind of sad how these rebels players are fully invested in our competition but the reds boys… nowhere to be seen.

I admire Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (regardless of thorns doghouse) because he has fully immersed himself into club rugby. Souths fans must be proud as punch of him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not a lot of reds being named for qpr this weekend? think I’ve seen one player named (Richie Asiata)

kind of sad how these rebels players are fully invested in our competition but the reds boys… nowhere to be seen.

I admire Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (regardless of thorns doghouse) because he has fully immersed himself into club rugby. Souths fans must be proud as punch of him.

Isn't it because the Reds blokes are either with Aussie U20s, Wallabies or Australia A? Or injured like Wright and Flook.

I would have thought more Rebels being available in clubland is because their team was generally shitter in Super Rugby and thus less players selected for rep teams (tongue in cheek, kinda).

Wilson

David Codey (61)

There's not many who aren't off with the u20s, Australia A, wallabies or injured though

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I understand Phil that majority of our squad are either in Australia/Australia A/Aus 20. I just can’t fathom that every other player not selected there would be injured.

what’s the go with Zander, Blyth (bye weekend) or Connor Vest… to name a few.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Vest might be recovering a bit? First season of professional rugby as a late call up.

I imagine going from QPR to Super Rugby playing against the Kiwi sides would be like going from 5th grade to 1st grade. If he has been given the option for a couple of weeks to nurse some niggles why not take it.

That's obviously just an assumption - you would think these blokes have reasons to not be playing.