• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah. As predicted by everyone for the last couple of months.
Surely the QRU have a word with them about it - they opted to persist to play on a weekend when calling off games was pretty much a statewide decision. And now teams have to play on that field for the entire second round.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Good win by Brothers today at GPS. Adams icing things with the late penalty from a toughish position was clutch.

I thought GPS would be well on top after beating UQ at UQ last weekend, but the UQ form isn’t exactly a benchmark at the moment,

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely the QRU have a word with them about it - they opted to persist to play on a weekend when calling off games was pretty much a statewide decision. And now teams have to play on that field for the entire second round.
And train. Injury chance increase as do infection on the graze knee or elbow potential.

Once it rain again?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

I think youll find that maybe there’s an event on at wests the weekend of “makeup games round” July 9.

as it was a designated competition bye round weekend (for the test match), wests probably went and booked the clubhouse for a function earlier in year not being able to predict Mother Nature.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think QRU should be dictating things like weather days and whether games should proceed, they don’t have the resources to inspect each ground on game day and it would only cause extra friction if the clubs are the ones paying for ground maintenance costs anyway

Clubs just need to be smarter about it

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I don’t think QRU should be dictating things like weather days and whether games should proceed, they don’t have the resources to inspect each ground on game day and it would only cause extra friction if the clubs are the ones paying for ground maintenance costs anyway

Clubs just need to be smarter about it
TBH if the wests fields are that poor then perhaps the QRU should consider changing venues for the remaining games of the season. We don’t want a bad injury based on the state of Sylvan RD

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
TBH if the wests fields are that poor then perhaps the QRU should consider changing venues for the remaining games of the season. We don’t want a bad injury based on the state of Sylvan RD
I’m not convinced that the field is that poor that games can’t be played there, nor do I think QRU should be making that decision on behalf of clubs. Wests cover their own insurance and liability.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m not convinced that the field is that poor that games can’t be played there, nor do I think QRU should be making that decision on behalf of clubs. Wests cover their own insurance and liability.

Why shouldn’t the QRU have a say in the state of the fields?

They already have rules around things like minimum bulb wattage to play night games, so there is precedent for them setting some standards around clubs/fields.

I agree in principal that the QRU shouldn’t be the field police on a regular basis. But I think they should have intervened with this particular incident and stopped the rain round game from being played, which likely would avoid this conversation.

At the end of the day though, its Wests players themselves who cop the raw end as they have to train on the fields for another 9 weeks. Lucky the club probably won’t have a deep finals run.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
you reckon country rugby clubs are telling other clubs they must relocate their games because of elements? Thank lord bond unI would only have to drive a hour for a makeup round. Those mid week fixtures aren’t afforded the luxury of our country rugby club brethren.

Grass, dirt or mud as long as there’s beers for the post match boat races - country rugby games will proceed as is.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And as someone who now no longer in Aus and used to follow the comp. who genuinley look like being grand finalsts this year?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
And as someone who now no longer in Aus and used to follow the comp. who genuinley look like being grand finalsts this year?
The two form teams at the moment are Wests and Brothers.

UQ just lost their third game in a row which hasn’t happened since 2019 , they did win the GF that year after sneaking into 4th spot in the last regular game of the season. So you can can never really write them off.