• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He is - I thought Ripley was on a full contract, not a training one.
Hope they all stay where they are.

I know Ripley is on a full contract , doesn’t mean he makes the match day squad .
Glen Vaihu and Carter Gordon spent a reasonable amount of time this year playing QPR for Wests. Just saying if he isn’t in the match day 23 , running around for UQ isn’t a bad place to be .

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Also lost in the all this chat is UQ's George Gibson heading South to train with the Tah's through preseason and align with Southern Districts in the Shute Shield next year. The 19 year old had a Prem Grade appearance or two last year but also had a injury plagued season where he only played a handful of Colts games as well. In any respect , with Sam Wallis and Halaholo gone , and with Gibson and fellow Colts 1 backrower Kelly Knowles (Bond) gone, established - and emerging - back row depth at UQ has seen some deduction this off season.

And then add in the loss of Connor Vest in that pack.

All pointing toward opportunities for others to step up.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is the high risk recruitment program at UQ. Go hard after the alleged cream of the junior talent and when they don’t get want they want (personal and team success) they look elsewhere. I like the aspiration of the UQ Colt but the list of junior representative player recently going to the other club is growing.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
It is the high risk recruitment program at UQ. Go hard after the alleged cream of the junior talent and when they don’t get want they want (personal and team success) they look elsewhere. I like the aspiration of the UQ Colt but the list of junior representative player recently going to the other club is growing.
I don’t think a ten finals series in a row could be considered high risk. In terms of performance they are the most successful club in Qld.
next year the lose perhaps the best unsigned halfback in Christian and have Hearn coming along. I am sure they will fill the holes But if Vest has gone along with a few others it will be difficult to retool.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
High risk. High reward. No question.

Just the Colt 1 missing the 4 this year and then some of best talent and both leader leaving the club must be the concern?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don’t think a ten finals series in a row could be considered high risk. In terms of performance they are the most successful club in Qld.
next year the lose perhaps the best unsigned halfback in Christian and have Hearn coming along. I am sure they will fill the holes But if Vest has gone along with a few others it will be difficult to retool.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
So they should be the most successful team in QPR because they have had a moratorium over the best schoolboy talent for one reason or another for about 20 years now - it is a mystery how other clubs have managed QPR success throughout this period.
These comments are not to detract from Mick Hennan’s coaching achievements.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
So they should be the most successful team in QPR because they have had a moratorium over the best schoolboy talent for one reason or another for about 20 years now - it is a mystery how other clubs have managed QPR success throughout this period.
As a Uni supporter I’d have totally agree

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
For most of those 20 years it has been a reasonably balanced competition in terms of premierships. If we look at the results since Canberra's 3-peat in 2001-2002-2003 we see the premierships distributed as follows:

Uni - 6
Sunnybank - 3
Easts - 3
Brothers - 2
GPS - 1
Souths - 1
Wests - 1
Gold Coast - 1

Yes Uni are a very successful club and good on them, this is a very tough comp to win. Significantly, no club has won two in a row in that time.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
You'd think so. But it's probably reasonable to expect Tom Van Der Schyff back this year that will give an extra dimension into the lock and 6 spots . And in terms of the 9 spot I'd take Hearn over Christensen anyway.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
EC445FF9-F9CF-42D7-A09D-83FB840F532A.jpeg

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So I've heard that Fijian Drua will be playing a pre-season trial match against a QLD Fiji side in Mid January, made up of fijians currently floating around the Brisbane club competition and other club comps in QLD. This is a great idea. I'll have an attempt at a squad below:

Prop
Jone Tiko (Wests)
Sunny Ratulevu (Easts)

Hooker
Josh Tuqiri (GPS)

Lock
Api Naiyabo (Easts)
Masi Ganita (Sunnybank)
Filimoni Seruvatu (Easts)
Ravuama Vuetanavanua (Sunnybank)

Back Row
Ratu Vio (GPS)
Alex Smit (Easts)
Adre Namalo Kauyaco (GPS)
Saula Vuaca (Norths)

Halfback
Josh Vuta (GPS)

Fly-Half

Centre

Matt Smit (Easts)
Kenneth Robertson (UQ)
Vilikesa Raboiliku (Wests)

Wing
Emori Waqavulagi (GPS)
Ben Navosailagi (Wests)
Mika Tela (Easts)
Shea Lalagavesi (Easts)
Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
Leone Cama (Souths)
Abele Atunaisa (Bond)

Fullback
Meli Dreu (Easts)

I'm sure I have forgotten multiple. Any anyone can think of?

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the rumour mill in full swing, I thought I'd post what I have heard and hope that others will do the same or squash some of these rumours.

Bond
Gains: Abele Atunaiasa (Hunter), Sam Kelly Knowles (Uni)

Losses:

Brothers
Gains: Callum Hicks (Wests), Mosaiah Christian (Uni)

Losses: Jake Pappin (Easts), Matt Faessler (Randwick), Dan Muller (Norths)

Easts
Gains: Jake Pappin (Brothers), Shea Lalagavesi (Wests), Taine Riori (Wests), Laurence Tominiko (Sunnybank), Taj Annan (BBC), Blake Griffin (Griffith Uni)

Losses: Api Naiyabo (Norths), Seru Uru (Souths)

GPS
Gains:

Losses:

Norths
Gains: Dan Muller (Brothers), Api Naiyabo (Easts)

Losses: Paulo Lelesiuao (Randwick), Vilikesa Raboiliku (Wests), Brad Kuhn (Uni), Nick Chapman (Brumbies), Harry Fox (Japan), Callum MacDonald (Japan)

Souths
Gains: George Francis (Wests), Seru Uru (Easts)

Losses: Brad Kelegai (Wests), Luke Samoa (Retired), Roman Prasad (Hunter)

Sunnybank
Gains:

Losses:
Laurence Tominiko (Easts), Nesta Mahina (Japan)

University
Gains: Brad Kuhn (Norths)

Losses: George Gibson (Southern Districts), Mosiah Christian (Brothers), Connor Vest (Waratahs), Lona Holahalo (Waratahs), Sam Wallis (Rebels), Sam Kelly-Knowles (Bond), Kye Oates (Randwick), BJ Oates (Randwick)

Wests
Gains: Vilikesa Raboiliku (Norths), Brad Kelegai (Souths)

Losses: Latu Talakai (Sydney), Rob Puliuvea (Hunter), John Martin Stewart (Hunter), Shea Lalagavesi (Easts), Callum Hicks (Brothers), George Francis (Souths), Taine Riori (Easts)

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Whats happening with George Francis? Third QPR club in three years. His 2021 form was well below what he showed in 2020, which was good enough to earn him a Super team training contract. A fair bit of that decline was to do with conditioning by the looks. Maybe he didn't appreciate Elwee trying to whip him into gear during the offseason.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Whats happening with George Francis? Third QPR club in three years. His 2021 form was well below what he showed in 2020, which was good enough to earn him a Super team training contract. A fair bit of that decline was to do with conditioning by the looks. Maybe he didn't appreciate Elwee trying to whip him into gear during the offseason.
You can say many things about Souths underperformance during the Dammers era but they have probably been the fittest team in the comp so I would think if he wanted an easy time he would have stayed at West’s.
I expect we will see a different George Francis in 2022