• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I raised this exact point either earlier in the thread, or maybe on the Rebels 2022 thread.

The simple answer is the Melbourne competition is crap, no use having professional players running around against 3rd graders when they can play in the QPR. It is interesting because by doing so the Rebels are pretty much conceding that club rugby will never be strong in Victoria, so running a professional team out of there is an interesting choice. But that is a separate conversation which I don't want to invade this thread.

The argument in support of the Rebels guys makes sense also - by having more professional players in your competition, it makes the QPR a better rugby destination in general. Maybe those blokes at Wests who are having their spots taken by Rebels players could end up filtering out to Norths for example and making that team stronger.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Why do you all care what Victorian Rugby/Rebels do if we are getting the benefit of a stronger level of rugby in the Hospital Cup? You’re focusing on the wrong outcomes for QLD rugby. If you or your little Johnny are competing for a starting position, then head down and do better.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

For years we have heard that there is not enough talent in Australia to support 5 Super Rugby Teams.

The only way to solve that dilemma ( if it is real) is to make sure the competition to get into those contracts has a larger pool to select from. This generates the improvements we all want to see on the field. When there is a closed door process then potential players choose to go elsewhere.
I guess I am saying we need to give more players the opportunity to shine rather than relying on the "purple circle" emitted from the schoolboy system each year.

For mine I would love to see QPR expand over the next few years and look at having clubs based at Northlakes/ Redcliffe, Ipswich and Toowoomba areas. These are huge growth corridors but all of the clubs (except Bond) are within a few kms of the CBD. With commuting becoming worse and worse I hazard a guess many players give it away prematurely. This would then be a 12 team operation like the Shute Shield.

The comp in Melbourne might be "crap" but it will not get better if the higher quality players are pulled out of it all the time. Keep them there to bolster the greater good.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yes RR I must admit prior to the season I was a bit miffed by the whole thing, but I’ve swung around to your point of view now.

The reality is players at Wests/who might go to Wests now know the lay of the land, there is a high chance their position could be taken by a Rebel. So what’s the answer? Get better or go to another club and make them stronger, both are good outcomes for QPR.

It’s not different to blokes who play for the South’s Logan Magpies or Sunny Coast Falcons in QCup, those clubs are Broncos and Storm feeders and they’ll end up taking positions of regular club blokes in those teams. That has been going on for years and look how much more depth and strength those competitions have.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
No different to UQ or Brothers too when all the Reds players come back.
My only issue is when Super players come back and are not as good as the Club player and still get the gig. The club coach is in a position where he is not allowed to drop them.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
My only issue is when Super players come back and are not as good as the Club player and still get the gig. The club coach is in a position where he is not allowed to drop them.

I could be wrong about this but I feel like these days with player health and management being more vital, those types of selections aren't as cut and dry.

For example a player who's just played an entire Super Rugby season is likely going to enjoy some rest time and play their way into the club side by coming off the bench for a few games, same goes for Super Rugby players returning from injury etc.

This obviously isn't always the case, so I understand your point.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I could be wrong about this but I feel like these days with player health and management being more vital, those types of selections aren't as cut and dry.

For example a player who's just played an entire Super Rugby season is likely going to enjoy some rest time and play their way into the club side by coming off the bench for a few games, same goes for Super Rugby players returning from injury etc.

This obviously isn't always the case, so I understand your point.
It is usually the fringe players say a mason Gordan v Cooper Whiteside. That I am speaking about as an example.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is usually the fringe players say a mason Gordan v Cooper Whiteside. That I am speaking about as an example.

1) there’s no obligation to pick Rebels players. I believe that ‘agreement’ is just Reds players. 2) Whitside is playing damn well at the moment and Mason is holding his own too.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
No different to UQ or Brothers too when all the Reds players come back.
Only difference is prior connection to the club. The Reds' players are connected/ registered with clubs , they are a known identity. Any QPR player can't really be upset when a Reds' player registered to their club comes back to QPR.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only difference is prior connection to the club. The Reds' players are connected/ registered with clubs , they are a known identity. Any QPR player can't really be upset when a Reds' player registered to their club comes back to QPR.

Whiteside and Mason are the same with Wests.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

And generally they arent.

This thread started with a question of who pays for the Rebels contracted players to fly in fly out of Melbourne.

For mine, because the game is supposedly broke why not save the $$$$ and have them play in the Melbourne comp if they aren't required for thee Rebels.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Whiteside and Mason are the same with Wests.
Yeah and no different to a Hanson , Wallis or Ripley having a run with UQ or Van Nek with Easts. All are largely products of a club that lead to a Super Rugby contract.

Think it's more the lack of connection that got a few feathers ruffled. The tribal nature of club footy is somewhat one of it's great strengths. I can certainly see why some get upset when a shoo-in from interstate takes the spot of a local lad. Can also see the benefit to the comp as a whole, just not sure about the benefit to the club(s) involved other than short term, particularly if players go looking for other opportunities as a result and maybe the effect this could have on club culture and morale?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Clubs measure their success hugely on the number of professional players they have registered at the club. They rightly believe this status will encourage juniors and colts to register with them. Nothing wrong with a professional player turning up to play for their club on a Saturday. The fans love it.

It’s not a new thing that Academy players and Super Rugby players return to clubland towards the end of Super Rugby season. Its been happening for years, it’s just there are a few more of our Queenslander based Rebel players in the mix. I don’t think we will have the return of the likes of Powell and Ross HP this year.