• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
And as someone who now no longer in Aus and used to follow the comp. who genuinley look like being grand finalsts this year?
Not a supporter of any of the teams listed but for mine it is in Three. Wests, GPS, Brothers.
UQ seem to be a level below with Bond
the rest are making up the numbers IMHO.
the ladder has them says differently ATM.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My team of the season after 10 Rounds (No contracted players chosen):

1. George Francis (Souths)
2. Ethan Dobbins (Wests)
3. Rhys Sheriff (Bond)
4. Angelo Smith (Wests)
5. Zac Shepherd (Easts)
6. Will Rogers (Norths)
7. Connor Anderson (Wests)
8. Josh Fenner (Sunnybank)
9. Mosiah Christian (Brothers)
10. Tayler Adams (Brothers)
11. Abele Atunaisa (Bond)
12. Tautalatasi Tasi (GPS)
13. Dan Boardman (Bond)
14. Ben Navosailagi (Wests)
15. Cooper Whiteside (Wests)
RESERVES
16. Brendan Bell (Brothers)
17. Jethro Felemi (GPS)
18. Phrancis Sula-Siaosi (Souths)
19. Pat Morrey (UQ)
20. Conor Mitchell (UQ)
21. Connor O'Regan (Norths)
22. Jake Pappin (Easts)
23. David Feiuai Lene (Sunnybank)

Thoughts? Anyone I have missed? Some of the bench spots were hard to fill.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
And as someone who now no longer in Aus and used to follow the comp. who genuinley look like being grand finalsts this year?

thought GPS was the best team from round 1. One loss to their name (hardest venue to win at though @ bond) they have wins against brothers, Wests & UQ.

obviously GPS lost on weekend to brothers, so I guess brothers comes back into the picture as the competition favourite but they could lose that title this weekend.

6 teams in the hunt this year when it’s generally been top 4 or top 5.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
If Australia A wasn’t a thing, you’d probably hand the trophy to Brothers right now.

A full second round with their non-Wallaby Super Rugby players, a guy like McReight would go close to being the most influential player in the comp, probably similar to how good Gicquel was for GPS last year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Qpr instagram had a post on Friday for Sunnybank about their new recruit down at training Rohan Saifoloi.

that’s a huge pickup for the dragons - anyone know why he didn’t play on Saturday? He was named at fullback but didn’t see his name on the teamlist in rugby explorer.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So very UQ though they really target the other clubs more than most. Poor from the Reds to allow contracted players to move it does not help with club connection.
Not sure UQ targets too many. Plenty walk in the door on their own volition,.

Also be intersting to count how many players started at UQ and are now at other venues

Mellor - Sunnybank
Farrell - Souths
Christenson x 2 - Brothers
just from top of my head

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Also be intersting to count how many players started at UQ and are now at other venues

Mellor - Sunnybank
Farrell - Souths
just from top of my head

Mosiah Christensen played Colts 1 at Souths prior to his BSHS 1st XV season. Those boys aren't UQ products.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Mellor - Sunnybank
Farrell - Souths
just from top of my head
Mellor played colts at Sunnybank but yes get your point. I guess they leave because Uni are always trying to top up their talent and others get the shots and leave perhaps. Or a case of getting the next big thing in

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

Mellor - Sunnybank
Farrell - Souths
just from top of my head
While players do move around many are also driven by Agents.
to UQ
K Thomas, Ripley last year
Dillon Row
4 From Norths

it is actually a function of other clubs putting more effort into Colts programs and players going elsewhere. It has disrupted the flow of Aussie School boys To UQ.
while Brothers and UQ do sit at the top of the colts table by any metric it is a close comp this year for those who have attended games.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
While players do move around many are also driven by Agents.
to UQ
K Thomas, Ripley last year
Dillon Row
4 From Norths

it is actually a function of other clubs putting more effort into Colts programs and players going elsewhere. It has disrupted the flow of Aussie School boys To UQ.
while Brothers and UQ do sit at the top of the colts table by any metric it is a close comp this year for those who have attended games.
Dylan Rowe is an itinerant club player. He began as a premiership winning Colts 1 player at Souths in 2009 and played grades at Souths for a number of years after that. He then played overseas in Scotland and Spain and represented Croatia and has since played for Norths, Bond Uni and now UQ.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Dylan Rowe is an itinerant club player. He began as a premiership winning Colts 1 player at Souths in 2009 and played grades at Souths for a number of years after that. He then played overseas in Scotland and Spain and represented Croatia and has since played for Norths, Bond Uni and now UQ.
I don’t believe he ever played for Norths? When was that? I remember him at Souths and Bond

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

one thing is for sure in the "modern" game.
Players move around mostly looking for opportunity.
Opportunity to join a winning culture
Opportunity to play under a certain coach
Opportunity to play a higher grade
Opportunity to play with specific other players
Opportunity to build a "brand" or profile
The days of picking a club and becoming a stalwart is not as ingrained as it once was.

All clubs are out there recruiting, the clubs that secure transfers obviously have something to offer over the place the player is leaving.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

one thing is for sure in the "modern" game.
Players move around mostly looking for opportunity.
Opportunity to join a winning culture
Opportunity to play under a certain coach
Opportunity to play a higher grade
Opportunity to play with specific other players
Opportunity to build a "brand" or profile
The days of picking a club and becoming a stalwart is not as ingrained as it once was.

All clubs are out there recruiting, the clubs that secure transfers obviously have something to offer over the place the player is leaving.
new recruit brisbane, what so funny? That is the reality.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
I’d like for the cattle to be evenly dispersed in club rugby because parity in a competition makes for a more exciting comp come business end time. But Wilson is right. You can’t restrict this. It’s up to Norths to fix

I remember wests use to have no representation at Reds level - it didn’t take away from my love of club rugby but I wasn’t as invested in the reds.

One thing Norths coach Pat Byron did well in his final seasons at the kennel was recruit. He told a lot of kids destined for Prem colts to come to wests as they’d get a shot in prems. He really was the snowball that was the recent avalanche of success at this club. Hopefully he/norths can turn this around - should focus on blooding/recruiting as many teenagers possible into their prems setup.
I am interested to know what you consider an "avalanche of success"?

I believe that Wests have improved as a club and will continue to do so but there isn't a huge amount of success yet.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am interested to know what you consider an "avalanche of success"?

I believe that Wests have improved as a club and will continue to do so but there isn't a huge amount of success yet.

most teams these days at wests are in the top 4 hunt.

That’s a big improvement where we have come from in recent years.

Each club has different benchmarks/KPIs…

guessing souths fans with their 10 premiership titles thumbs their nose at my bulldogs 3. All good, we got catching up to do.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
most teams these days at wests are in the top 4 hunt.

That’s a big improvement where we have come from in recent years.

Each club has different benchmarks/KPIs…

guessing souths fans with their 10 premiership titles thumbs their nose at my bulldogs 3. All good, we got catching up to do.
No thumbing of the nose here. In fact I acknowledged that Wests have improved. Across the board, Wests are stronger in each grade.

I just think that success tends to be the end goal. Not just improvement. Especially when you refer it to an avalanche of success.

I would dare say that most Wests supporters are aiming their sights a bit higher than "most teams in the top 4 hunt".