• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not sure why you keep harping on about the Werchon thing.

The one thing that put me off this kid is that he left because the coaches did not want to guarantee him a starting spot, and so they shouldn't if you want it go compete for it - West Guaranteed Werchon 5 QPR starts minimum.

Not harping on mate - simply giving some context around the issues down at Brothers.

Agree with everything you have said re his ability and why he has gone to Wests. I heard it slightly differently that he had conversations about wanting to stay at Brothers without needing guarantees but the coaches didn’t want to hear it.

The flow on effect of that conversation has filtered through to the playing group during the pre-season and along with some other player additions, is causing some grief. At least two respected senior players have left in the last week.

I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom, the club has depth. Despite them winning against a ‘weakened’ South’s team, most of their 2nd grade side is intact and they’ve got plenty of 1st grade caps there.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Judging from the Wests social media pages I can make out the following:

Gains: Maile Ngauamo (GPS), Charlie Tupu (Warringah), Jerry Lynch (France), Louis Werchon (Brothers)

I'm sure there are more than that
So Jerry's back home to the kennel after his NZ/Euro walk about. Welcome back.

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
Easts is flying under the radar a bit with not much news coming out of Tiger land in terms of recruitment? Also keen to hear how the students are shaping up for the season under the new coach.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Easts is flying under the radar a bit with not much news coming out of Tiger land in terms of recruitment? Also keen to hear how the students are shaping up for the season under the new coach.

They have secured Peni Ravai from the Reds as a signing. Although he will likely be on the tools for the Reds for most of the season. Haven't heard much about other recruits but I think most of their core is intact. Mowan still around this year before moving down to Canberra in 2024.

Bumble B

Stan Wickham (3)
It will be very interesting to see how Easts go early season. Although BM is signed with Canberra for 2024 is also confirmed as an ongoing consultant for the 23 season. If he is consulting SC will no doubt pick up the slack but what happens during the Super W season if this occurs which is likely. Assume PW will run the show? Any news on who is confirmed to assist EB at UQ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It will be very interesting to see how Easts go early season. Although BM is signed with Canberra for 2024 is also confirmed as an ongoing consultant for the 23 season. If he is consulting SC will no doubt pick up the slack but what happens during the Super W season if this occurs which is likely. Assume PW will run the show? Any news on who is confirmed to assist EB at UQ?

you work in government?

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not harping on mate - simply giving some context around the issues down at Brothers.

Agree with everything you have said re his ability and why he has gone to Wests. I heard it slightly differently that he had conversations about wanting to stay at Brothers without needing guarantees but the coaches didn’t want to hear it.

The flow on effect of that conversation has filtered through to the playing group during the pre-season and along with some other player additions, is causing some grief. At least two respected senior players have left in the last week.

I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom, the club has depth. Despite them winning against a ‘weakened’ South’s team, most of their 2nd grade side is intact and they’ve got plenty of 1st grade caps there.
Who are the two respected senior players?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who are the two respected senior players?

Dillon Wihongi has been training at GPS now for 2 weeks.

I won't name the other player as they're still talking to Gabbett about the direction of the team, but they've also been down at GPS for a session and meeting with the coaches.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wihongi is a good addition for GPS. Realistically he is a reserve grade player at brothers though.

he played games in 2nds and benched mostly for Prems….

perhaps it’s not as dire as suggested at Brothers and this is simply someone looking for greener grass

Ras

Frank Nicholson (4)
Would the trip to Fiji see many moving across to GPS for the preseason only to return back to their original clubs?

You'd hate to see the players taking advantage of the trip but would it provides an opportunity nonetheless.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
By the sounds of it, some of the blokes who are ruffling the feathers down at Crosby are just as likely to bugger off when the EFTPOS machine comes out and they need to stump up their (not cheap) playing fees.

We are still in pre-season, players at every club will be sniffing around for opportunities elsewhere if they don't feel valued whilst the trials still run.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Luke Oxford will be at UQ with EB I believe. Been a transition over a few years that set up so you would expect things to be pretty smooth with maybe a little new flavour.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
So coach wise we have the following as I understand it

UQ - Elton Berrange
Souths - Garrick Morgan
Norths - Pat Byron
Wests - Elwee Prinsloo
Sunnybank -
Brothers -
Easts - Ben Mowen
Bond Uni -
GPS - Shane Arnold