• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests field looks absolutely awful on TV. Not sure what has gone wrong with all the money they have spent there. Is it is bad as it looks?
they flooded the field Friday night to ensure the mud pit suited their forwards orientated game. Say what you will about Norths, they sure do play for each other and will always keep coming at ya. 4th game in a row now I think they've scored the 4 try bonus point

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
they flooded the field Friday night to ensure the mud pit suited their forwards orientated game. Say what you will about Norths, they sure do play for each other and will always keep coming at ya. 4th game in a row now I think they've scored the 4 try bonus point
Norths playing well for first 60 then depth and fitness kick in but they don’t give up and have some great attacking weapons. Love to see them taken a top6 scalp soon.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That’s in very poor taste if true.
Why should a team with 16 contracted players out of its 23 be worried about 8th place Norths?

Punter Pete

Frank Row (1)
That’s in very poor taste if true.
Why should a team with 16 contracted players out of its 23 be worried about 8th place Norths?
You seriously think that is the case? Why on earth do you think anyone would do that. I heard they had an irrigation malfunction that turned the sprinklers on in the morning and soaked the fields unexpectedly.

also they may have a number of contracted players who played yesterday but they are all club/fringe players there wouldn’t even be 6 2023 super caps between them all this season so I think it’s time people put those comments to bed

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You seriously think that is the case? Why on earth do you think anyone would do that. I heard they had an irrigation malfunction that turned the sprinklers on in the morning and soaked the fields unexpectedly.

also they may have a number of contracted players who played yesterday but they are all club/fringe players there wouldn’t even be 6 2023 super caps between them all this season so I think it’s time people put those comments to bed
That is why I said “If true”. But how does a malfunction occur at the club that has most recently upgraded their fields?

Also, not sure what team list you saw but there were a lot more than 6 super rugby games out there from 2023. Eloff alone would’ve played more than 6. Regardless, still all full time rugby players.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Also, not sure what team list you saw but there were a lot more than 6 super rugby games out there from 2023. Eloff alone would’ve played more than 6. Regardless, still all full time rugby players.

There’s a lot of players at wests who’ve been at wests and then went onto earn a super rugby contract.

in 2020 during that awkward Covid year - the bulldogs had an amazing colts team that missed out on finals. Mason Gordon, David & Glenn Vaihu, Keynan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua. None of these boys had super rugby contracts yet but they went onto higher honours. All repping at aus u20 level and getting super rugby contracts.

last year Angelo Smith, Ben Navosalagi & Ethan Dobbins all got super rugby contracts from qpr form.

these are bulldogs products first. Super rugby players second.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

Surely it was a joke - don’t think they worried too much about the result of that match before kickoff

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)

FYI Angelo Smith has more than 6 caps on his own - regardless its still apples and oranges when it comes to uncapped players training full time in a professional program in comparison to those earning a living working nights/days etc. Being able to rest Friday before playing QPR also helps immensely as well, its not their fault other players need to earn a living but dont say its not an advantage unless they have a cap under their belt.

Punter Pete

Frank Row (1)
That is why I said “If true”. But how does a malfunction occur at the club that has most recently upgraded their fields?

Most recently? Are you referring to the new fields in 2017 when they built the building? That is 6 years ago now!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Most recently? Are you referring to the new fields in 2017 when they built the building? That is 6 years ago now!

that's still quite new really. Shouldn't have to resurface fields that frequently.

There's something not quite right with that pitch at Wests, it's been looking like shit for a few years now. Assuming they actually spent a bit on the irrigation and drainage when they realigned it, the ongoing condition and state of the pitch is a real disappointment

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
that's still quite new really. Shouldn't have to resurface fields that frequently.

There's something not quite right with that pitch at Wests, it's been looking like shit for a few years now. Assuming they actually spent a bit on the irrigation and drainage when they realigned it, the ongoing condition and state of the pitch is a real disappointment
Especially when they put so much resources in the building and seating area. Ive been inside the wests building and its impressive to say the least compared to other QPR clubs. Physio room, media room upstairs they've got everything.

You then go outside to watch the main spectacle which is rugby and its a terrible looking field. Maybe they should look into that and put it as one of their main priorities.

I went to the force vs drua trial at the start of the season and to be fair the ground was the best ive seen it. Seems though it deteriorated quite quickly few games into the proper season.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Given the field's positioning and surrounds, I don't think they get much winter sun and therefore struggle with growth/rejuvenation throughout the season. The floods last year wouldn't have helped either of course

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Given the field's positioning and surrounds, I don't think they get much winter sun and therefore struggle with growth/rejuvenation throughout the season. The floods last year wouldn't have helped either of course
Can't use floods as an excuse. Norths, UQ and Brothers all cop it when it floods and their fields don't look that bad

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Spoke to a couple of a rugby admin folk over the weekend from various clubs, mainly asking about this new points system the QPR are trialling from this weekend.

Don't be surprised if the 'salary caps' are published and a number of clubs are surprisingly well over the cap. Plenty of club folks complaining about a lack of resources being provided to the clubs from the QRU to actually calculate each players 'value' when considering the factors like junior/colts player discounts etc.

Sounds like a couple of the clubs simply won't be doing that calculations due to this only being a trial, claiming they aren't resourced enough to keep the figures up to date.

I'm not passing judgement on either the clubs or QRU here, just thought it was an interesting perspective which could render this whole trial exercise a bit fruitless.