• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Only weekend brothers will be under this cap. (It’s their bye week)

the super rugby cavalry should start returning from next weekend
Souths this weekend stands at 65 points with two bench spots to be filled. They will be well under the 100. They were well under even when the Under 20 players were playing.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
The trial of the "points cap" system begins this weekend. It would be interesting to see the points tallies for each of the 9 Premier Grade teams for this weekend.
they really should have introduced this at the start of the season. What happens to players that played the first half of the season and all of a sudden can't fit under the cap. Are teams just going to have to cut players going forward? seems bit harsh

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just scrolling through the team lineups for the weekend and noticed Michael Wood named on the bench at #20 for Norths.

Same Michael Wood from Brothers and the Junior Wallabies of 2019?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Just scrolling through the team lineups for the weekend and noticed Michael Wood named on the bench at #20 for Norths.

Same Michael Wood from Brothers and the Junior Wallabies of 2019?

Mitchell Wood.

played premier colts and reserve grade at wests. Followed Pat Byron mid season for a chance to play premier grade

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Only weekend brothers will be under this cap. (It’s their bye week)

the super rugby cavalry should start returning from next weekend
Thankfully South, the Dogs should be getting the best fly half playing in Australia back along with a few extras from Mexico?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
W

hat is this 'points cap' system you speak of?
The QRU is trialling a system that has been used in the Shute Shield in NSW for a number of years.
Every player is allocated a points value based on their level of experience e.g. Wallaby player or other International, Super Rugby contracted player, Academy player or Premier level player. Each player's points allocation can be "discounted" if they have been with the Club over a number of years, come through the Colts and Junior programs etc.
The total points value for the 1st grade team named each week cannot exceed 100 points/2nd grade 60 points.
It is in the trial phase at the moment and there won't be penalties applied at this stage.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Welsby Cup being played for this weekend.
Bond vs Easts

I am going to cross UQ out of finals contention unless they can come away with a win against Souths. How far off is Nassar for the heavies?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The QRU is trialling a system that has been used in the Shute Shield in NSW for a number of years.
Every player is allocated a points value based on their level of experience e.g. Wallaby player or other International, Super Rugby contracted player, Academy player or Premier level player. Each player's points allocation can be "discounted" if they have been with the Club over a number of years, come through the Colts and Junior programs etc.
The total points value for the 1st grade team named each week cannot exceed 100 points/2nd grade 60 points.
It is in the trial phase at the moment and there won't be penalties applied at this stage.
More I thought about that system warhorse, I think more I like it. I know how things changed at end of super when I was at Qld, and not just for Prems, but grades below. It's not something needed here in NZ fortunately, as club season is drawing close to finals anyway, but if we were in same situation I would recommend it here.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Welsby Cup being played for this weekend.
Bond vs Easts

I am going to cross UQ out of finals contention unless they can come away with a win against Souths. How far off is Nassar for the heavies?
Out for the rest of club season unfortunately. Was travelling along really nicely last year. Flavell hopefully back shortly