• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
good contest out at Crosby road today. Brothers looked like the better team going into half time but wests were just too clinical in the 2nd stanza.

wish Brett Cronan mic was working… the gentlemen is going to the World Cup as a TMO for excelling at the technical intricacies of the game.- would of liked to hear his reasoning on the live mic.
Defence was optional today. Both sides would have been disappointed with their defence today. Way too many easy tries.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes Wests have conceded 12 tries in last two weeks (6 each to Bros & Easts) and all other opponents(except Norths) this year have scored 4 tries against them.
They will need to lift their defensive efforts if they are going to go back to back.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Bond v GPS yesterday

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Souths won across all men's grades (Colts and Seniors) against Sunnybank on the weekend. Only the Women's team was successful for the Bank. What is worrying was the Colts results with the 2s winning 68-12 and the 1s 28-5. A number of the Colts 2 players had to back up for the 1s. It's a shame to see this once strong club struggling. In the Juniors Sunnybank has always been strong in the past often winning premierships. The question is, where are all their players going? League, other Unions clubs or just falling away?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is sad to see a successful club fall down the charts but they did ride off the back of the poker machine $$ (when they would have 10 Reds on their roster) and since that has dried up (allegedly they don’t get financial support from the community club anymore) so too has their level of success across the whole club.

Having said that don’t go to Oldmac with a poor attitude because they will pull your pants down (I.e. Uni 2022).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I have mentioned before @MoneyBill685 that I don’t like this practice of team lists updating…

imagine being one of these fringe premier players, you get named in team list, all your friends and families messaging you congratulating on your cap, only to have a Friday night team list update where a rebel mercanary is coming in hot and you’ve been benched/dropped all together.

it seems lot of guys at wests are still buying into the premier grade team cause there’s a lot of cattle who could go to other clubs and start at premier grade, I just wish more premier grade players at wests would buy into playing in the reserve grade team. (I am unsure how the culture is at the club below premier grade - but results indicate a lot of resources being thrown at prems - but not at rest of club) - grades rugby is the backbone of depth at a footy club.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I have mentioned before @MoneyBill685 that I don’t like this practice of team lists updating…

imagine being one of these fringe premier players, you get named in team list, all your friends and families messaging you congratulating on your cap, only to have a Friday night team list update where a rebel mercanary is coming in hot and you’ve been benched/dropped all together.

it seems lot of guys at wests are still buying into the premier grade team cause there’s a lot of cattle who could go to other clubs and start at premier grade, I just wish more premier grade players at wests would buy into playing in the reserve grade team. (I am unsure how the culture is at the club below premier grade - but results indicate a lot of resources being thrown at prems - but not at rest of club) - grades rugby is the backbone of depth at a footy club.
Totally agree.

just from the outside looking in it seems that all chips have been put forward for the prems team at Wests. Their lower grades definitely dont reap the rewards of having a surplus of players in prems.

Top players either play prem grade or not at all.

I saw Moses Sorovi come off the bench on the weekend. Did he play 2nd grade or just sat fresh on the bench? Zach Hough, Ben Navo, Richard Skelton all named on the bench for prems but not on the team list for 2nd grade.

Seems a bit unfair to me having fresh bench players while other clubs have players that played 3/4 game in 2nd grade.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

I saw Moses Sorovi come off the bench on the weekend. Did he play 2nd grade or just sat fresh on the bench? Zach Hough, Ben Navo, Richard Skelton all named on the bench for prems but not on the team list for 2nd grade.
Ben Navo should be the only one who feels hard done by (benching behind a uncontracted player) - but even then he is the ultimate club man and just wants to see wests succeed.

the other players (Hough, Skelton, Sorovi) were all benching behind other contracted players

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
You know your team is well stacked when you have contracted players on the bench - with Petaia and Paisami coming back from injury we will more than likely see them back in clubland before higher honors.

9-Sorovi
10-M.Gordon
11-Daugunu
12-Paisami
13-G.Vaihu
14-Vudugo
15-Petaia

Bench - Werchon, B.Navo, D.Vaihu

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great table match ups this weekend to complete the first half of the home and away rounds.

Souths (4) v Bond (1)
Easts (2) v Brothers (3)

Wests (5) v Sunnybank (9)
GPS (7) v Norths (8)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How’s Zac Hough been playing?

I think he’s made the switch from colts to premier grade quite well this year.

wests has a stacked back row - last game against brothers he only got 5 minutes at end of game but he’s had a few starts this year and other than Ethan Dobbins he has been wests best pilferer of the footy.

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
I think he’s made the switch from colts to premier grade quite well this year.

wests has a stacked back row - last game against brothers he only got 5 minutes at end of game but he’s had a few starts this year and other than Ethan Dobbins he has been wests best pilferer of the footy.
Nathan Grey doesn't seem to agree. He wasn't picked in the Junior Wallabies squad to go to NZ.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think Zacs size is going to keep him away from high honors - long way to fly for 5mins of QPR

Sunnybank should target players like Cullin Cooper Jones, Spicer, Tima, Zac

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
At least 3 players from the Norths colts side last year played today, which is a good sign especially when there is so much leakage from the under ages into Brothers. Hamish Muir is going really well at 15 in his first year in seniors. Not much of him but has some real class. If they could attract 2 or 3 quality players especially in the tight 5 they could have the nucleus of a good side. They do play with plenty of heart.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
At least 3 players from the Norths colts side last year played today, which is a good sign especially when there is so much leakage from the under ages into Brothers. Hamish Muir is going really well at 15 in his first year in seniors. Not much of him but has some real class. If they could attract 2 or 3 quality players especially in the tight 5 they could have the nucleus of a good side. They do play with plenty of heart.
Bang on - heated exchange between Luke and veresa was interesting- I think norths really took the wrong option taking the shot instead of going for the try but geez they gave it a go

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Now that 1st half of the season is done, I have included my QPR team of the year so far. Interested to hear who you would change.

1. Harrison Lloyd (Brothers)
  2. Ethan Dobbins (Wests)
  3. Rhys Sheriff (Bond)
  4. Lachlan Connors (Bond)
  5. Fred Fewtrell (Easts)
  6. Ravuama Vuetanavanua (Sunnybank)
  7. Kohan Herbert (Souths)
  8. Jeff Ikani (Norths)
  9. Mosiah Christian (Brothers)
  10. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (Souths)
  11. Junior Laloifi (Sunnybank)
  12. Michael Bond (Brothers)