• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I agree he is our best 10, but that doesn't/shouldn't give him free reign to spout this stuff, he isn't playing as part of the team at the moment.

Only until Lilo gets onto the paddock again. I reckon he will be first choice 10 next season, maybe that is why Quaalude is indulging in his long dummy spit.

T

TOCC

Only until Lilo gets onto the paddock again. I reckon he will be first choice 10 next season, maybe that is why Quaalude is indulging in his long dummy spit.

So we criticise Quade for one awesome season of super rugby not translating to test level, yet Lealifano is the automatic heir after one good season of super rugby..
Surely people see the hypocrisy in all this..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why?
QC (Quade Cooper) had his chance, was mediocre on the field and a pest off it.
How does that disqualify Lealifano from being given an opportunity?
Who will be in the Wobs in 10 years if new guys are not tried at the higher level?

R

randalf8

So we criticise Quade for one awesome season of super rugby not translating to test level, yet Lealifano is the automatic heir after one good season of super rugby..
Surely people see the hypocrisy in all this..

Where is the hypocrisy? Saying we should select someone based on their Super 15 form when they haven't had ample opportunity to prove themselves in the gold jersey is entirely different to saying we shouldn't continue selecting someone that has had ample opportunity in the gold jersey and has disappointed us.

S15 form is a good reason to pick someone for the wallabies but only initially. When you have a large enough sample of test appearances, what they do in S15 is irrelevant.

R

randalf8

ILTW, no-one said Lilo doesn't deserve an opportunity. But calling him the 'first choice' before he has even pulled on a gold shirt takes things a bit too far IMO.

It was prefaced with "I reckon he'll be", not "because he looks good at S15 level we should promise him 30 caps regardless of how he plays".

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
ILTW, no-one said Lilo doesn't deserve an opportunity. But calling him the 'first choice' before he has even pulled on a gold shirt takes things a bit too far IMO.

Not to mention irrelevant at the moment. Neither is the incumbent 10 or currently playing footy.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Just on the whole Gen Y thing -- I don't get why people read statements about the tendencies of particular age groups in such totalizing ways. Obviously my everyone in Gen Y behaves the way Scarfie describes. That's just foolish. But a significant proportion do. It's also pretty well-documented that Gen Y expect different styles of management, lots of reinforcing feedback, etc. Again, not all of them but a significantly larger proportion than in Gen X. Think about the shift in recent decades to young people only spending a couple of years in a job, of expecting to have multiple careers, etc. Or think about young people who now expect to work with Facebook open and multiple tasks on the go at once -- this isn't an issue of laziness but of having spent their brief adult lives working in this way. It's like saying that all Victorians were repressed prudes. Obviously it's not true, but it is true that the prevailing cultural tendency of that time was to sexual repression, etc.

I teach Gen Y uni students too. They are -- as a group -- quite different to my classmates when I was an undergrad in the late 1990s. It's common in my class rooms for students to be quite bad at accepting criticism and to be quite focused on meeting absolute minimum responsibilities but demanding maximum rights. None of which is to say there is, IMO, anything inherently bad about Gen Y. They sometimes simply require different teaching and management approaches -- just like every other generation before them. Problems arise when neither side -- but particularly the management side -- understands this.

Personally, I've found that Gen Y (of the stereotypical type) responds really well to a combination of the normal affirmation along with firm articulation of the value for them and the class in their engaged participation, for example. It's about bridging the divide from both directions.

It sounds like Robbie has sought to cater to the Egos of the Amigos without demanding a reciprocal commitment to the responsibilities of being part of the team. None of which is to excuse Cooper, merely to help explain how the dynamic might have gotten to such a terminal point.

W

What2040

Richo - great insight and agree wholeheartedly

- in my office I have a strict rule that anybody "caught" using social media is shown the door immediately without warning. My staff know the rules and adhere to them. I pay my staff for their time. If they steal time they steal money. Might be harsh but it works for me. A mate of mine has 30 staff and he says if the 30 knock him off for 30minutes per day then he is paying for extra 2 employees.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I have 2 Gen Yers as offspring, however, Gen Y were the "undoing" of Kevin Rudd PM, and likewise, the undoing of Qld Premier Anna Bligh and her grubby treasurer, Andrew Fraser!! 80% enthusiasm + 20% skill= disaster, IMO.

R

randalf8

Personally, I've found that Gen Y (of the stereotypical type) responds really well to a combination of the normal affirmation along with firm articulation of the value for them and the class in their engaged participation, for example. It's about bridging the divide from both directions.

Oh look I agree. It's about time Quade started eating some reality sandwiches. Perhaps they can then think about parking their cars in the same garage. They need to start operationalising the strategic infrastructure. This is integral to squaring the circle of measurable value within the content funded arena.

Basically, he's racing in a straight line on a curved circuit. Let's attach a steering wheel and start taking these corners properly. Let's lace some Nikes on this hippo and see if she hits the tape faster.

In the change programme, one of the major change streams is transformational human relations.

R

randalf8

- in my office I have a strict rule that anybody "caught" using social media is shown the door immediately without warning. My staff know the rules and adhere to them. I pay my staff for their time. If they steal time they steal money. Might be harsh but it works for me. A mate of mine has 30 staff and he says if the 30 knock him off for 30minutes per day then he is paying for extra 2 employees.

You should write in Modern Management magazine.

In the year 1930.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

I work in the media so no social media websites are blocked or have been blocked at the places I've worked, and I can't really understand why you would want to.

Do you fire people for going out and staying a little too long for a smoke, coffee or lunch? I'm sure if they're under the age of 35 most of your employees are on social media on their phones anyway and resent you for it on top of that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

What is your staff turnover like?

Do any of them work extra hours or do the clock off right on time?

J

Jiggles

As long as the work gets done on time and accurately who gives a fuck..

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, some new information. The opinions of Kepu and Mitchell:

Two senior Wallabies have broken their silence on the controversy surrounding Quade Cooper and the national side to say no player is bigger than the team.
Sekope Kepu and Drew Mitchell said it was up to Cooper and the Australian Rugby Union to sort out their differences in private but that the headlines generated by the Reds' five-eighth over the past fortnight were not good for rugby.
''I guess they're his problems and opinions, he's just voicing it himself, and if that was me I'd definitely deal with it in a different way,'' Kepu said. ''Hopefully they come to an agreement or some resolution about what's actually happening.''
When asked if the Wallabies needed Cooper, the injured prop said: ''You've got a lot of depth and talent there in the 10 position. Kurtley's [Beale] come up and he had a good performance last week, bar the injuries [to the team] and what not. But that's a decision the ARU and [coach Robbie Deans] have got to make.''
Mitchell, who accompanied his Waratahs teammate to a training session with the national indigenous under-16 team in Redfern yesterday, said there was life after Cooper if he decided to leave rugby.
''I don't think anyone's bigger than the game, so in that sense if someone feels they can say whatever they like and feels like they are needed then I don't think there's anyone in any team, anywhere in the world, that is needed that much,'' he said.
''That's not to say we couldn't do with [Cooper], but the game will go on and the Wallabies will go on if Quade decided to move on.''
In a horror two weeks in Australian rugby the code has been buffeted by Cooper's allegations of a ''toxic'' culture within the Wallabies, mounting Test losses and further injury woes.
Kepu, who went down with a grade-two medial tear in training at the end of August, said he did not think things were as bad as they looked or were made out to be.
''At the end of the day, as an individual I've got to pull my weight and do the best that I can to fit the environment,'' he said.
''It's representing your country, there's no greater honour than that and not being [with them] it's just like something is missing, and it just makes you more determined and hungry to want to get back in there because it's opportunities that you're missing ... It's obviously put a bit of heat on the sport but we'll pull through it, definitely.''
Kepu has been running for three weeks and is hopeful of being ready for the final Bledisloe Cup match in Brisbane on October 20.
Mitchell, who has been battling ongoing problems with his ankle, said he was ready for full training and was hoping to be selected for the end-of-year tour to Europe.
The Waratahs winger said he had found it hard to watch rugby lurch from disaster to disaster over the past few weeks.
''We're in a competitive environment, you just have to look at the publicity the A-League are getting at the moment, rugby league and AFL had their biggest weekends of the year and unfortunately the press about our game hasn't been particularly as positive as it could have been,'' Mitchell said.
''The results are things that the players themselves and the coaching staff can try to rectify as much as they can ... I think mounting external pressure and distraction at unnecessary times, we could probably do without that.''

They couldn't be much clearer.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Interesting timing. Why now? Have they decided to break their silence off their own backs?

Certainly wouldn't expect them to back Cooper, particularly when both a trying to get selection in up coming squads.

W

What2040

What is your staff turnover like?

Do any of them work extra hours or do the clock off right on time?

actually my staff turnover is virtually zero - I pay my people well above the average and have a great workplace - very few sickdays etc - staff at my joint really put in and are a joy to employ. Quite often they will work extra time (at their choice). I generally reward them for that with either time off or a little bonus from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.