• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Very interesting thread. I enjoy reading all your comments - It's nice to hear about the Brisbane comp as I'm considering moving to Brisbane in the next few years.

I've recently updated and completed the end of season highlights reel of my young son playing for Helensvale Hogs U10s this year - I have a full team version which I have yet to put on youtube, but feel free to check this out if you like. (Watch in HD for best viewing)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Info comes second hand:-

Results from this morning.

u17 Victoria 19 (3 tries) defeated Qld 7 (1 try)

u15 Victoria 14 (2 tries) defeated Sunshine Coast President's team 13 (2 tries)

Thanks bud, there's drips and drabs on twitter but not a lot. Do you have any more updates?

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
The u11 Chatswood Challenge was played yesterday at Bottomley Park hosted generously by Easts. 31c at midday so the 2x10 minute halves format was a good idea. We had strong lineups from Easts, the Div 1 Premier side from Albany Creek, a Brothers Throwtogether side from White, Silver, Green and Black and of course the Chatswood touring u11.

All teams played each other in a round robin and then finals of 3-4 and 1-2. The games were very competitive and given the out of season nature of the day, played at a very high standard.

Albany Creek and Brothers faced off in the 1-2 final and the scoreboard couldn't split them at the end of a tight game so we had a draw, and given the strength of the AC side we were pretty happy with that after one training session together as a team and kids playing out of position everywhere.

It was a great day and the guy in charge of the Chatswood side earned a lot of respect. He organized the whole thing from Sydney, put on the BBQ, handed out prizes and keepsakes for the boys, you name it. Top bloke.

S

stevie95

Can anyone tell me how the QLD u15 side went. Really wanted to get up to caloundra and watch them after i saw some of the players play in the state champs in toowoomba if you didnt no the side that got picked here it is
Christopher Afamasaga Green
Mark Broadhead Gold
Tyler Campbell GC
Ngatia Campbell Tvl
Ioane Cordtz Green
Joe Duarte Sunshine Coast
Jack Farrell Sunshine Coast
Zack Howson Sunshine Coast
Enoka Kalapu Green
Johann Koorts Green
Kyle Leofa Green
Liam Mcnamara Green
Harry Nucifora Gold
Xavier Poncini Sunshine Coast
Aaron Potini Blue
Kenric Rothscheid-Felu Green
Matthew Sautia Green
Angus Scott-Young Gold
Tyrone Southorn Gold
Darcy Swain BR
Shambeckler Yui Blue
Josh Webb Sunshine Coast
David Yabsley Gold
looked like a very good picked side from the selectors with a very mobil forward pack and a very fast and strong backline would of been great to see them play. So can anyone tell me how they went and the standout players :)

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
Can anyone tell me how the QLD u15 side went. Really wanted to get up to caloundra and watch them after i saw some of the players play in the state champs in toowoomba if you didnt no the side that got picked here it is
Christopher Afamasaga Green
Mark Broadhead Gold
Tyler Campbell GC
Ngatia Campbell Tvl
Ioane Cordtz Green
Joe Duarte Sunshine Coast
Jack Farrell Sunshine Coast
Zack Howson Sunshine Coast
Enoka Kalapu Green
Johann Koorts Green
Kyle Leofa Green
Liam Mcnamara Green
Harry Nucifora Gold
Xavier Poncini Sunshine Coast
Aaron Potini Blue
Kenric Rothscheid-Felu Green
Matthew Sautia Green
Angus Scott-Young Gold
Tyrone Southorn Gold
Darcy Swain BR
Shambeckler Yui Blue
Josh Webb Sunshine Coast
David Yabsley Gold
looked like a very good picked side from the selectors with a very mobil forward pack and a very fast and strong backline would of been great to see them play. So can anyone tell me how they went and the standout players :)

I believe they lost to NSW 0-29

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Regional junior rugby representatives from all over Queensland - from Cairns to Coolangatta met at Ballymore on the weekend to put in place the rep pathway for 2013. It is likely that the 2013 State Titles will be held somewhere in greater Brisbane in the first days of the September school holidays. BJRU U15 and U17 teams will play Country U15 and U17 teams on the middle Saturday to select QJRU teams to go interstate to play NSW, ACT and other states. Still some detail to work out but thanks to all those junior rugby volunteers who gave up their weekend to plan the junior rep pathway for the boys. Well Done!!!

This was from the QJRU facebook page.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's quite impressive for the Vic boys. Is this a first?

The win was touted as a first but I don't think that was the actual scoreline. I believe it was closer.

The Vic team was thrown together last minute, only had a handful of training sessions, and didn't even get the proper kit most Vic teams get so it was a massive achievement.

BUT, I'd imagine Qld had a similarly brief preparation.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The win was touted as a first but I don't think that was the actual scoreline. I believe it was closer.

The Vic team was thrown together last minute, only had a handful of training sessions, and didn't even get the proper kit most Vic teams get so it was a massive achievement.

BUT, I'd imagine Qld had a similarly brief preparation.

Regardless on the actual scoreline and the preparations of both teams, it's still particularly encouraging.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Regardless on the actual scoreline and the preparations of both teams, it's still particularly encouraging.

Yeah, the Vic junior programs are getting pretty slick compared to what they were.

I expect us to consistently beat ACT in time, purely because they are at critical mass and we have heaps of expansion room.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, the Vic junior programs are getting pretty slick compared to what they were.

I expect us to consistently beat ACT in time, purely because they are at critical mass and we have heaps of expansion room.

I'd be happy enough to start to see Vic squads topple NSW/Qld squads as well as it indicates growing strength in the system down there which is something the game really does need. I know its occurring in WA as well perhaps a little slower but their level of junior club Rugby is being to really move. Having 5 strong talent pools will only be a boon for the game.

As for the expansion, what's going on in that regard because n terms of population, Vic are really the only other state that could realistically gain a further vote from having 50,000+ registered players anytime into the future.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
2 trial games down, and my boy's teams have had 2 wins. Great start to the season for Brothers u10 Silver and u12 Green. D'Arcy playing No7 this year from Lock (first year with 15 players on the field) and J-Dog at No2. Usual schamozzle at the start of a season but having the new facilities at Windsor Park has taken a load off at Crosby Park. Great initiative from the Club to do this. Great to see the Juniors running around again and having a ball.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364090859.535915.jpg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think after the preseason that has had more training cancelled than many full seasons in the past most kids are happy to be out on the field.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I know it is tough at the beginning of the season organising trial and grading games but i was very disappointed to hear about a recent game in the second round of BJRU grading.

In the u14's there was a game organised between last year's Div 3 Premiers and the Div 1 Premiers. I believe the Div 3 management believed their team was up to Div 1 standard. But this trial game was loaded against them before the ref blew the starting whistle. The Div 1 team was at another level again, going through undefeated last year and averaging over 40 points a match during the season.

The result I believe was detrimental to junior rugby with a 100+ point drubbing being the outcome. That was even after the ref started early in the game making the scoring team kick off to the other team and making scrums uncontested.

The game should not have been organised as it would have been obvious between prior year results that the gap between these teams was far too wide. The Div 3 team should have been made to earn its stripes in Div 2 first regardless of what their management thought.

As I said at start, I understand beginning of season grading game organisation is not easy, but there is a duty of care owed to the participants as well as the game. Knowing a little of history in this age group it was obvious that this would have been a mismatch and 100+ points would not have been a surprise. It was just lucky that there were no major injuries observed.

BJRU please put protocols in place so that an obvious mismatch like this cannot occur again.

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Shark,

Mate I espoused almost the exact sentiments myself when my sons' team copped a belting from a team from a couple of divisions up in a grading game that weekend. After a similar result from a similar scenario the previous weekend. In retrospect, however, and after talking to a few of the boys there were some benefits. Firstly, they did not give up, the heads didn't drop and there were no recriminations against each other. Secondly, they got to see firsthand how the coaches rhetoric looked when performed on the field by the opposition. Support the ball runner, protect the pill, draw and pass, shoulders not hands in tackles, dominate the breakdown...it was all there and effective.
People who know me won't believe I am stepping up in the BJRUs defence, but the difference in team makeup and the boys' physical attributes between seasons at this age must make planning grading games difficult. Especially when a significant number of teams can't grade that weekend due to school trials commitments. And given that the superior team that you mention were held to a draw the previous weekend by another team from out of their division...wouldn't be easy to plan I reckon...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Games on this weekend for teams from U6-U17. I am sure everyone is keen to get out on the field. Lets hope there isn't any bad weather that may prevent this from happening.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I have heard there has been some organisation by the BJRU to improve / upgrade the representative pathways between u13 to u17. They are now formally selecting Brisbane teams in each age group after the QJRU Championships. I have just seen the criteria for coaches applications. One very good step is that a coach is prohibited from coaching the in same age group as their son(s).

These teams are supposed to be playing a game or games but there is nothing scheduled on the rep calendar and no other mention on the BJRU website.

IIRC - last year they selected an u14 Brisbane team that played a NSW country team and selected some merit teams in the u15 to u17 age groups. In a prior year, the Brisbane teams selected actually played the country teams in each age group between u15 and u17.

Can anyone shed any light on what is planned (if anything) for these representative teams? The lack of information on these pathways is frustating at times.

Theplayerhater

Bob McCowan (2)
SUNNYBANK U15 DIV 1 have a very solid team this year and hopefuls of making the club queensland u15 team this year with other players of brother rugby union club aswell lots of talent in both of these clubs espicially in the backline with the likely pick qld 9 10 and 12 Tim Sippel , Andre Clarke and Jimmy Patrick from the sunnybank club shoudl be a good sight to see

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They are playing in the U16 comp too, and winning. Will make for an interesting year. From memory the Sunnybank team drew with Brothers in the trails.

Theplayerhater

Bob McCowan (2)
They are playing in the U16 comp too, and winning. Will make for an interesting year. From memory the Sunnybank team drew with Brothers in the trails.

the under 15 teams are giving the 16's a good run for their money, its surprising the talent in these age group because it might produce a strong queensland team this year

Status
Not open for further replies.