• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's going to be a bit awkward next year when Tupou comes back after the Rebels haven't been able to pay him his salary.

Let him be awkward. There was definitely something barely kept in the background with Tupou's departure. I wish him the best at the Rebels. I wouldn't have a problem with his return but I'd also be quite comfortable with that being highly awkward for the bloke.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Honestly not a huge fan of the co-captains thing and am surprised it's still that way with the coaching change.

Isn't that the whole point of a captain and vice-captain? I'd be happy for either of the two to be in either position but the co-captains just give off indecision vibes and a stale hangover from last few seasons.
Idk, it seems like they have pretty defined roles on the field (when they're both actually on the field, of course) - it's no real difference to having a captain and vice

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Idk, it seems like they have pretty defined roles on the field (when they're both actually on the field, of course) - it's no real difference to having a captain and vice

I know I'm looking into it too much but it's just not for me. Feels like they're appeasing one of them so they don't feel bad being made 'the vice'. That's the vibe in my circles based on the big announcement today anyway.

Incoming: posters white knighting the Reds because I'm wrong and "you'd think the coaches of a professional team know best" rhetoric.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I know I'm looking into it too much but it's just not for me. Feels like they're appeasing one of them so they don't feel bad being made 'the vice'. That's the vibe in my circles based on the big announcement today anyway.

Incoming: posters white knighting the Reds because I'm wrong and "you'd think the coaches of a professional team know best" rhetoric.
They have the news conference up now;

What came through for me is the changing nature of leadership in footy teams.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I get what you’re saying completely. In most cases I’d agree that having a clear captain just removes any ambiguity. Leadership can still be shared across a group.

But having said that (and at the risk of white knighting) they do seem to work well as leaders. I was watching a reply from last year where Tate was getting cranky at the ref and Liam stepped in and difused things without any fuss. Maybe that means Liam would be the best choice as captain in his own rate but the leadership does seem to drive Tate.

I do also think that the risk of snubbing one of them is not something that should be disregarded. Players can and do get the shits when they are passed over and that can flow to their play. If we are going to take a step forward I feel like we need to take every opportunity to do our best. If that includes a bit of player appeasement then I’m personally okay with it.

Plus - you know - the coaches in the professional environmental know best. :)

#InLesWeTrust

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
I liked him at 15 more than Campbell last year tbh...

The Reds really do have a glut of versatile backs, so it'll be really interesting to see how Kiss & Co. piece it together. Don't think it's been done for a while so, for the sake of it, this is how I'm sitting after a couple of Friday beers:
9. McDermott
10. Lynagh/Creighton (can't split them at this stage)
11. Vunivalu
12. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
13. Flook (although Paisami will likely get first dibs)
14. Campbell/Grealy
15. Petaia
Think that #10 is a lottery - JOC (James O'Connor), Lynagh, Creighton, HM-P. Trials will be interesting to see how they all perform. All intell from the training paddock?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Think that #10 is a lottery - JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lynagh, Creighton, HM-P. Trials will be interesting to see how they all perform. All intell from the training paddock?
No whispers that I've heard but, given they're back training, I'm sure someone has a scoop.

You wouldn't think HMP will get a run until later in the season / injuries, as he's undoubtedly bottom of the pecking order. We saw last season that JOC (James O'Connor) really is a 12 who was shoehorned into 10, but we've got several other strong options at 12/13. Creighton came into his own at the back end of last year for both Reds and Brothers. Similarly, we saw that Lynagh is absolutely up to it, but he's also coming off the back of an injury.

As you say, a lottery. Good problem to have.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d like to think creighton is now at the point of maturity and development where he should be taking the role by the horns. With Lynagh and HMP sitting in the wings and time off bench.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure about Liam as captain, he can’t even spell
IMG_4823.jpeg

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I've always like JOC (James O'Connor) in the centres. The best I've liked him was playing 13 outside Kerevi when he first got back. He may have added something to the Wallabies in that role last year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So, less than two weeks before the first trial. Anyone on here have any insight to training/race for positions? Will we see any bolters push themselves to the front of the queue?

A couple of points of interest for me -
- who wins the race for the 10 jersey? I feel like this is a decisive year. If one of Creighton or Lynagh can really make their mark and entrench themselves then what are the impact on the ambitions of HMP (who I’m assuming is more likely to get held back). Or is he good enough, even at this age, to get his nose in front?
- can Thomas kick on? Having two quality halves is so important in the modern game but last year it seemed whenever McDermott came off there was a noticeable step down. The news of him excelling at NPC level is encouraging.
- can Vunivalu kick on? He has had some issues but his try scoring strike rate is still damn impressive and his ability in the air is also close to best in comp. His work off the ball in those effort areas, not so good. If Kiss can get the best out of him that alone will make us a more formidable side as he brings genuine strike power
- where does Isaac Henry fit in, if anywhere? Two years ago there was talk of him being the preferred 12. But injuries have really restricted his opportunities and the mid field is getting more cluttered as Flook has become a regular starter and O’Connor appears to have moved out one spot
- along similiar lines where does Paisami fit in?
- can Uru force his way into the starting backrow?
- can Nasser recapture his pre-injury form?
- does Nonggorr hold his starting spot?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I've always like JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) in the centres. The best I've liked him was playing 13 outside Kerevi when he first got back. He may have added something to the Wallabies in that role last year.
It’s the speed that’s gone now. He can get it done at 12 but 13 would be a huge ask in defence for him now.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Update of sorts on the preferred backline - apparently combos at training have been all over the place, proper blank slate. We'll get a better idea in the trials.