• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If player are happy/comfortable with the status quo you could find there's plenty wrong and they're not being pushed hard enough or benefitting from falling standards.
Sounds exactly like the All Blacks under Foster. He's a dud coach but the players simply adore Foz...

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, I guess you are right, I still think the Reds don't have the game plan to involve their wingers, and while I know they should be "looking" for work, you potentially have two wingers that can score lots of tries.

Ps: Where is the Bomb to Vunilalu, close to the try line?
JOC (James O'Connor) has used the short bomb to Petaia and Vunivalu (and also possibly Flook and Daugunu) quite regularly. Biggest change in his game this year imo

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I guess you are right, I still think the Reds don't have the game plan to involve their wingers, and while I know they should be "looking" for work, you potentially have two wingers that can score lots of tries.

This is a massive tangent but it seems to me like the way the defender deals with this situation has changed a lot in recent years. It's rarely about committing to the ball carrier and forcing them to execute the pass and far more about backpedaling and buying time and ultimately trying to get the player to pass to the support runner who you have covered.

I assume someone has worked out it's a more successful defensive strategy because pretty much everyone can draw and pass successfully at this level.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
This is a massive tangent but it seems to me like the way the defender deals with this situation has changed a lot in recent years. It's rarely about committing to the ball carrier and forcing them to execute the pass and far more about backpedaling and buying time and ultimately trying to get the player to pass to the support runner who you have covered.

I assume someone has worked out it's a more successful defensive strategy because pretty much everyone can draw and pass successfully at this level.
True

Just watched the Reds game, and I must say there was an effort to get Vunilalu in space and involved. Simple plays got him in the game. I thought he had a good game, not outstanding, but solid. It will do wonders for his confidence plus he scored a try

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
We've lost the mighty Thor, what do we think about big Pone for tighthead? Put a fitness and meatpie clause in his contract, get him to 50 minutes a game, run him off the back markers, exciting to watch.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
We've lost the mighty Thor, what do we think about big Pone for tighthead? Put a fitness and meatpie clause in his contract, get him to 50 minutes a game, run him off the back markers, exciting to watch.
Put no clause - As the only decent THP in australia off contract - we need him.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Wallabies and Reds legend Tim Horan has urged Queensland Rugby to chase a big-name coach with global experience after Brad Thorn announced he would finish a seven-year stint as head coach of the Reds at the end of the season.
QRU boss David Hanham confirmed the club has money to spend and is aiming to have a new head coach signed by September-October, before a December pre-season.
The biggest name being floated in Queensland rugby circles as a “dream candidate” is former Wallabies and Crusaders coach Robbie Deans, who is currently coaching Panasonic in Japan. Deans, who won five Super Rugby premierships, continued his title-winning ways with Panasonic, collecting five of the last nine Japanese titles.
Former Scotland coach Vern Cotter and current Japan coach Jamie Joseph have also been mentioned as potential targets for the Reds. The chance to get Dan McKellar back to Queensland was lost when he accepted the Leicester Tigers job. Ex-Wallabies defence coach Matt Taylor is also a candidate.
Hanham said appointing an Australian would be ideal, but is “not a non-negotiable”.

Ged

Allen Oxlade (6)
Matt Taylor is the man for the job. Yes, he's never been a HC before, but has been defence coach at National level for Scotland and Australia, and wom premierships with Reds and Glasgow. Softly spoken, but loved and respected by the players. QLDer thru and thru.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
It would be massively disrespectful to Ewen McKenzie's legacy to bring in Robbie Deans considering the checkered history between respective parties, and the distain he showed towards Queensland's greatest ever 10. Quade and Ewen built the Reds into the champion team they became in 2011. Robbie, as with his apprentice (coach Goon), have equally vested interests, they certainly do not have the club's best interests at heart.

Quade contributed everything to the Reds, he does not deserve to have his legacy in Queensland further corroded by scorched-earth Robbie's dark past.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be massively disrespectful to Ewen McKenzie's legacy to bring in Robbie Deans after the history between them and the distain he showed towards Queensland's greatest ever 10. Quade and Ewen built the Reds into the champion team they became in 2011. Robbie, as with his apprentice (coach Goon), have equally vested interests, they certainly do not have the club's best interests at heart.

Quade contributed everything to Reds, he does not deserve to have his legacy in Queensland impacted by scorched-earth Robbie's dark past.

As opposed to Thorn's?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It would be massively disrespectful to Ewen McKenzie's legacy to bring in Robbie Deans after the history between them and the distain he showed towards Queensland's greatest ever 10. Quade and Ewen built the Reds into the champion team they became in 2011. Robbie, as with his apprentice (coach Goon), have equally vested interests, they certainly do not have the club's best interests at heart.

Quade contributed everything to Reds, he does not deserve to have his legacy in Queensland further impacted by scorched-earth Robbie's dark past.
What did Deans do to Michael Lynagh?