• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fellas I know you need a tight head but this talk of central contracting is a bit early days. Slipper & Sio worked a charm at the Brumbies and have helped each other to longer, healthier careers.

Fa'amausili and Tupou are both injury prone in a fatiguing position. No reason they can't do 50/30 and 30/50 every other game. Wouldn't hurt their career development at all.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Fellas I know you need a tight head but this talk of central contracting is a bit early days. Slipper & Sio worked a charm at the Brumbies and have helped each other to longer, healthier careers.

Fa'amausili and Tupou are both injury prone in a fatiguing position. No reason they can't do 50/30 and 30/50 every other game. Wouldn't hurt their career development at all.

No reason why the Rebels can't develop a junior tight head to play alongside Taniela either. Or is that the responsibility and cost for other states to do?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
That wouldn't have been anyone's plan, but a change in head coach can throw all those plans up in the air - as SouthernX points out experienced head coaches often want to pull in support staff they're familiar with. Hopefully the value in Heenan will be pretty clear to any new coach and they'll be happy to keep him on.
Of course, but there were questions around Brad's tenure before Heenan signed - I imagine the scenario that eventuated was at least discussed.

But yes absolutely agree there is a risk of someone new wanting their own team (à la Eddie) and any arrangement with Heenan being a sticking point. Likewise, I hope his value is recognised and he stays on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Of course, but there were questions around Brad's tenure before Heenan signed - I imagine the scenario that eventuated was at least discussed.

But yes absolutely agree there is a risk of someone new wanting their own team (à la Eddie) and any arrangement with Heenan being a sticking point. Likewise, I hope his value is recognised and he stays on.

As much as all of us who are familiar with Heenan and his exploits in QPR reckon he's good, the reality is he's been a very successful coach in an amateur club competition before joining the Reds during a transition period where the team is on a bit of a decline.

If an incoming head coach with a proven support team wants to give him the flick, I don't think the QRU will have much of say.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

This thinking is how successful teams do it. Look at the Brumbies.

I'd love to know how many players go through a season without missing multiple games to injury. A lot of people have complained about the Brumbies having 3 capped Wallaby Hookers this year and 4 last year. Well, they had John Ulugia have to play this season due to injury.

It also allows you to properly develop young talent if you have experience ahead of them. You aren't forced to debut before ready and potentially wreck them.

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
The regulars on GAGR have talked about this for years. I’m guessing the rugby community doesn’t really know the back story behind reds and Newstart so they just assume grass is greener for these departing players

If you go back a few post I mentioned no big name coach will want to come here if Sam Cordingly continues his stubborn angry little man rivalry with Newstart.

Piccone is irreplaceable at Newstart, Cordingly is super replaceable at the Reds.

We need a new GM
Apparently the backstory is that Reds felt Newstart lied about Kerevi signing in Japan.
They felt they had assurances he (a) was staying and (b) certainly wasn't talking to any overseas clubs.
They duly appointed him captain, and very soon after Kerevi announced he'd signed in Japan.
Regardless of what the assurances were or weren't, that was the end of any relationship and trust.
The three players who ratted on their mates in COVID were just confirmation.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Harry Wilson always making tackles around the waist & always ready at first receiver for a forward ball hit up. Tremendous motor with great ball handling skills. Elite offloader - good signing.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The NewStar brigade have been the premier player agency in Brisbane since the 2010s, their m.o. during the early days was to attach themselves to a QPR club, bring all their players and showcase the wares. It was always a short term solution, they probably have revolving involvement with 4 clubs over a 10 year period and when they moved on, they’d take all their players and sometimes a few more and setup at the next spot. Would always be a rebuilding exercise after that.

They’re seen as a pretty safe landing spot for the frontline players in the Brisbane comp, some of their main signings over the years are Samu Kerevi, Genia, Izaak Rodda, Sean McMahon and even Levi Aumua who has been playing well of recent years for Moana and NZ Maori, they’ve got a strong stable of players. You can see the theme though, all of their top talent leaves Australia.

That’s just a little overview about who they are and why the QLD based posters are across them.
I imagine they all leave because it is better for them, this is what their manager is meant to do.

I have no inside knowledge and know nobody from the Brisbane Rugby scene but if my 7 year old turns out to be a great footballer I think I would choose NewStar as they seem to design their management practices around setting people up for life, not just getting into a winning team.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I 'm wondering if the Red's coaching selection panel have Joe Schmidt in their sites.
It appears he will not be in any ongoing role with the AB's after the world cup.
He is the coach that turned Ireland's fortunes around.
Of course he may not want to leave NZ.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The regulars on GAGR have talked about this for years. I’m guessing the rugby community doesn’t really know the back story behind reds and Newstart so they just assume grass is greener for these departing players

If you go back a few post I mentioned no big name coach will want to come here if Sam Cordingly continues his stubborn angry little man rivalry with Newstart.

Piccone is irreplaceable at Newstart, Cordingly is super replaceable at the Reds.

We need a new GM
Hi Southern X - genuine question - is it true Piccone presented a plan to the QRU a few years ago that essentially made them a feeder system to Japanese rugby?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Seventeen years after making his Super Rugby debut with the Western Force as a 17-year-old, James O’Connor is in talks to join his former club.

The Roar can reveal O’Connor is in deep conversations about a remarkable move back to the franchise where it all started.
The experienced Wallabies back could still stay at the Queensland Reds, but sources have confirmed there is mutual interest in the prodigal son returning to Perth.

Injured Waratahs playmaker Will Harrison was in the Force’s sights, but the youngster’s latest setback has seen the franchise turn its attention elsewhere.
It’s a curious move given O’Connor’s age – 32 – and injury history, but the Force believe his utility value and leadership would also give them some depth and class in the playmaking channels despite the Wallaby sliding down the national pecking order.

The update comes just months after O’Connor said he wanted to stay at the Reds to help the development of rising playmaker Tom Lynagh.

But with a Rugby Australia top-up unlikely and Lynagh quickly finding his feet in Super Rugby, O’Connor has understandably had to reconsider his options.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not too surprising really - O'Connor has been great since his return but he seems to be injured more than not in recent times.

Given his age & Lynagh on the rise I don't see us offering him much to stay....

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not too surprising really - O'Connor has been great since his return but he seems to be injured more than not in recent times.

Given his age & Lynagh on the rise I don't see us offering him much to stay....

He obviously thought his ‘mentorship’ contract would be worth more than whatever the Reds have indicated would be on the table.

A lot of posters here were pretty chuffed when he said he would stay on and mentor Lynagh during the transition period etc.

JOC (James O'Connor) wanting to stay onshore is great, but I hope the Force don’t pay too much for him. They’ve become a bit of a retirement village for both Aussie and overseas players (and yes I know why, I’ve heard from enough Force supporters about their challenges) but I hope they don’t tie up too much long term cash on a bloke who may not get on the field much.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hi Southern X - genuine question - is it true Piccone presented a plan to the QRU a few years ago that essentially made them a feeder system to Japanese rugby?

First I heard of this TSR.
What was he trying to achieve? A few years ago… that idea would of certainly killed off the NRC (yet here we are, no NRC and a inferior level of local community competitions now serving as our feeder clubs)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
They did... his name is Pone Fa'amausili.
I understand what you're trying to prove.

At the same time, having both Pone and Taniela there means, you've got two props the same age.

They'll both look to finish their careers roughly the same time, meaning no young tight head will develop down there as they simply don't get game time.

It's great from the Rebels perspective and it'll be interesting in the next round of contracting for their up and coming young stars and how the Rebels will fit everyone under the salary cap.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
They'll both look to finish their careers roughly the same time, meaning no young tight head will develop down there as they simply don't get game time.
Except when one or both are injured, which history suggests is likely to be a significant portion of the season