• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That is great but I also don’t think the Reds are lacking in that area?

95% of the squad have come through QPR, Reds Academy etc.

I actually think our recruitment needs to have a broader scope going forward.

I absolutely think there is ways to improve the Academy to Senior connection, just look at some of the academy players who have been pinched by other regions who would be better then those who earned Reds contracts. The fact 95% of the current squad is from QLD pathways doesn’t mean they were the correct 95% promoted.

Also, improving the academy pathway further and broadening the recruitment for those roles/position that can‘t be filled from the Academy aren’t mutually exclusive concepts.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Oh I was just saying that it's UNFORTUNATE that the Reds u20 forwards were the backups. Neither will add any significant value to the pro squad imo.
I think Bloomfield has a bit about him to really like.

His work rate is fantastic around the field. Didn't they say he had the equal highest tackle count along with the 8? Not bad for a bloke that didn't start the every game. He still has a bit of the School Boy physique where he naturally looks like a Prop over having been moulded into it. Give him a couple good years in the Gym and Grade footy and I hope he'll be ready to go. I was worried when he first replaced De Lutiis but in the games following that he was strong.
I was speaking to their Schoolboy coach and he agreed. Like a Adam K, Hewat, Schatz.- too big for 7, too weak for 8, too short for 6 type players that do really well at this level but struggle for impact at pro level. Though Schatz did pretty well but alot of pro teams didnt rate him enough.

P.S Would love to be wrong.
This is a story we see over and over. Plenty of guys can make a career out of rugby but might not be Internationals. Look at Sinclair at the Tahs. You'd probably say, too small to be a Lock any higher than he's done but probably too slow to go into the backrow at Super Rugby. Same thing with Dave McDuling. The thing is, most teams need a few of these guys that get through a lot of work, their reliable and they don't cost you too much.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’ve heard feedback from the clubs he’s been with that his coaching really is top level - défense and back play was excellent. Needs a really good forward technician and a strong Director of Rugby type position (to protect him from the politics).

Where does that leave Heenan?

Has anything been confirmed about the assistants.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I absolutely think there is ways to improve the Academy to Senior connection, just look at some of the academy players who have been pinched by other regions who would be better then those who earned Reds contracts. The fact 95% of the current squad is from academy pathways doesn’t mean they were the correct 95% promoted.

Also, improving the academy pathway further and broadening the recruitment for those roles/position that can‘t be filled from the Academy aren’t mutually exclusive concepts.

Agree the academy program and recruitment can always be improved.

I’d argue though some of those identification issues and talent loss was more a result of the NRC being scrapped and I guess that links into how to better manage things now without that pathway.

The Reds from my memory pretty much retained all the talent they wanted who came through QPR/Academy and then played in the QLD NRC teams.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looking at his past record I don't think you can be too critical of Les Kiss' engagement with recruitment - London Irish have pulled in plenty of big names over his time there.

Whether or not that was as efficient or effective as it could have been is another question, but that's as much down to a GM/DoR as it is the head coach.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We could see some signings as soon as next couple of weeks, also mentions foreign recruits

“We’ve been through the roster, we’re looking at definitely a couple of positions that we know we have to resource. Hopefully, we’ve got some news out in the next few weeks,” Kiss said.

“We’re working away in a couple of key positions, in light of that I haven’t spoken to all of the players yet I wouldn’t like to be saying those positions at this stage.

“There are a couple of foreign spots that we can also look at as well, and we just want to make they help the group that are here already, but also fit the type of style that I might need.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm really liking what I'm hearing with Les. Great to have acknowledged Brad Thorn. A traditional connection with the academy players is great and the way his interface is described with the players. I'v got no idea how it will travel but it feels like quality planing and a fabulous result.

No great expectations in the first season but I'm looking forward to how he builds his time.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
London Irish players?
lets hope so.

I just hope they are better than the last two high profile signings, Goramaru and Luke Jones.

I wouldn't be upset to see Cairan Parker and Hoskins in Reds uniforms next year.

I do have a soft spot for Simmons but would take Coleman if an Aussie wants to come home.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
lets hope so.

I just hope they are better than the last two high profile signings, Goramaru and Luke Jones.

I wouldn't be upset to see Cairan Parker and Hoskins in Reds uniforms next year.

I do have a soft spot for Simmons but would take Coleman if an Aussie wants to come home.
I think I read Coleman has signed in Japan.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Worth a listen, thought he spoke very well. Has me very excited for next season
Was pretty impressed with Les, certainly a better first impression at the press conference than Thorn's early ones, he really took his time to warm to the media side of the role. Pretty impressed with the appointment process from how it was described too, particularly the player involvement.

Sounds like we'll be hearing plenty about squad and assistant coaches over the next 4-6 weeks. I imagine the goal is to have as much of that set (probably with a couple of squad/WTS places open) in time for the start of the challenger series mid September. Very glad we've got that little run of games in the off season for Kiss to get his hands on the team before the season proper. Hopefully it should really help them hit the ground running next year.