• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
In case he qualifies for Italy through his gorgeous Mediterranean name Massimo De Lutiiiiiiss.

We don't want them pulling a Monty Ioane and throwing a truck load of cannolis at the kid to get him playing at the Stadio Olimpico.
They’ve just changed his name to Max Dell.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Think it’s a god signing. Brumbies showed Front Row depth is essential throughout the season.

These 2 plus Zane give the Reds time to bring through De Lutiis properly and even slower a guy like Bloomfield who I though showed some real go for the U20s after being thrown in. Probably not physically ready yet but should train with them.

Is Peni still signed?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmm don’t like foreign players filling out key positions at all, that’s 3 Aussie ineligible front rowers at the Reds … would prefer someone like Sam Talakai or Cabouss Eloff for depth who are behind Pone and Tupou.

Eloff ahould be Aussie qualified this year yeah?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Think it’s a god signing. Brumbies showed Front Row depth is essential throughout the season.

These 2 plus Zane give the Reds time to bring through De Lutiis properly and even slower a guy like Bloomfield who I though showed some real go for the U20s after being thrown in. Probably not physically ready yet but should train with them.

Is Peni still signed?
Ravi extended his contract a week or two ago

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)

Is Peni still signed?
And Trevor King.

Peni re-signing announced last week

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hmm don’t like foreign players filling out key positions at all, that’s 3 Aussie ineligible front rowers at the Reds … would prefer someone like Sam Talakai or Cabouss Eloff for depth who are behind Pone and Tupou.

Eloff ahould be Aussie qualified this year yeah?
Are there any more rules about Aus qualified? It felt like Rebels and WF got dispensation because they were the ugly, untalented children but now Reds too. Is it just the 3 props? Any other ineligible players?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Are there any more rules about Aus qualified? It felt like Rebels and WF got dispensation because they were the ugly, untalented children but now Reds too. Is it just the 3 props? Any other ineligible players?

dunno what the limit is these days. It’s constantly changing and it’s also discretionary it seems.

I’m ok with foreign players as long as it’s managed; what Australia can’t afford is having too many foreign players filling out the same key positions across all franchises, like THP prop/hooker etc.

That’s now 4 foreign players filling out THP positions in Australia (Medrano, Ravai, Eloff & Toomaga-Allen).

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh @Adam84 its a hard one to figure out. I’m in the same boat as you but just hoping we have some great young talent to come through in those positions.

It’s not like the Reds didn’t have props coming out their ears, I think from the 2023 squad we’ve lost/released Taniela, Hoopert, Zander and maybe another? The latter clearly weren’t up to in anymore in Reds jerseys but that comes back to the whole is our depth good enough across the country? No it isn’t.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
dunno what the limit is these days. It’s constantly changing and it’s also discretionary it seems.

I’m ok with foreign players as long as it’s managed; what Australia can’t afford is having too many foreign players filling out the same key positions across all franchises, like THP prop/hooker etc.

That’s now 4 foreign players filling out THP positions in Australia (Medrano, Ravai, Eloff & Toomaga-Allen).

Ravai really more a LHP as is Eloff who is likely eligible soon.

But considering squad sizes that would be about 30 contracted props in Oz. It’s not too bad.

As you say it’s be better if Talakai or Pone were getting big minutes up here rather than limited in Melbourne but they’ve signed up again. Meanwhile we have props in all sides except the Tahs.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Interesting, two properly established props. Unfortunately both Aussie ineligible. I guess Kiss has been told to throw together a team which is ready to try and ‘win now’ instead of loading up with youth.
I thought they said on 9 News that Hodgman had an Australian parent, and would be eligible in 12 months.
Looks like he played his last test in 2020, so that would be a 3 year stand down ?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought they said on 9 News that Hodgman had an Australian parent, and would be eligible in 12 months.
Looks like he played his last test in 2020, so that would be a 3 year stand down ?

You are right! In fact it’s sooner.

“But in a fortunate twist of fate, Hodgman, a loosehead prop, is eligible to represent Australia through his Australian-born father, and can be selected by the Wallabies after this year’s World Cup.

Under World Rugby’s Regulation 8 eligibility law, Hodgman’s parental lineage and time lapsed since last represented New Zealand – which will be three years in November – have opened the door for him to become a rare breed of player to earn caps for both the fierce trans-Tasman rivals.”

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There was an article a while ago with the limits per team, I think it was 4 foreign players for the Reds/tahs/Brumbies and something like 8 for the Rebels and Force. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Some very interesting signing news on Instagram:
1000010929.png

I don't know much about Pierre Poluleuligaga other than he looks to be a 15 year old Samoan Wellington schoolboy, but the part that really caught my attention was Newstar sharing the signing photo with Cordingley front and centre - maybe a sign the frosty relationship is thawing?